Light Racing SPC UCAs - Rebuild or Replace? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By mikey
  • 1 Post By CabinCruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Light Racing SPC UCAs - Rebuild or Replace?

Been running the 2nd gen SPC UCAs for about 50k miles. They are the ones with the spec ride bushings, but not the newest xaxis bushings. I want to go ahead and replace the ball joints, but am also tempted to replace the bushings to the new xaxis. Buying these parts and install will cost about $350, or I could just get brand new ones for $550 or so. Another option is to just go ahead and purchase Total Chaos UCAs.

The cheapest option will be replace ball joints, but keep old bushings and just install grease zerks.

What would you guys do in this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 PM
formerly 13FJTT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Light Racing SPC UCAs - Rebuild or Replace?

I would buy new SPC UCAs with xAxis joints and sell your old set as is for maybe a couple hundred bucks. $550 - $200 = $350. You spend the same amount of money but end up with a new set of UCAs.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:15 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

just curious what issues are you having. I have first gen and when I replaced the bushing they had over 100000 miles. they were gone. I still have the original ball joints (non grease able ) and they are tight no issues . my FJ has 166000 miles on it. I off road my truck a lot. curious if the ball joints are loose and or if you have squeaky bushing.

I installed the new generation with the axis bushing and grease able ball joints on my brothers 13TT the new bushings are nice.

08 TI Off Road Package 6112's,5160's Toytec HD super flex, Light Racing UCA'S Wheeler's Bump Stops Toy Outfitters tube bumper, Trail Gear sliders, Trail gear transfer skid,All Pro IFS Skid,All Pro Trans Skid,All Pro E Locker Skid,TC Link Armor,ScanGuageII, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust ,Cobra 75, Bandi Mount,Scuba Mod, High Lift, Duratrac 285/75R16's,Warn 9.5TI, Pul Pal, Baja Utility Rack,ARB Simson II RTT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

If your bushings are good....leave them alone.

Replace the ball joints, keep it simple and cheap.
Bernardo and CabinCruiser like this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
JKFJ08 previously said: View Post
just curious what issues are you having. I have first gen and when I replaced the bushing they had over 100000 miles. they were gone. I still have the original ball joints (non grease able ) and they are tight no issues . my FJ has 166000 miles on it. I off road my truck a lot. curious if the ball joints are loose and or if you have squeaky bushing.

I installed the new generation with the axis bushing and grease able ball joints on my brothers 13TT the new bushings are nice.
No real issues. I originally purchased them 2nd hand, and 1 of the ball joints was brand new then but 1 is still the original so I don't know how many miles I have on them. My bushings are fine, but are squeaking. I spray triflow on them every few weeks and it seems to work.

This would be more of a PM project, not something that is absolutely needed. If I'm going to do anything to them I'd rather knock everything out at once and not have to worry about them for another 100k miles!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
mikey previously said: View Post
If your bushings are good....leave them alone.

Replace the ball joints, keep it simple and cheap.
Bushings appear to be fine, just squeaking some. If I'm replacing ball joints then I may at least install zerks at the bushings so I can grease them! But the way I see it, if I'm going to do all that anyway, I'm tempted to just go ahead and replace bushings (or purchase all new UCAs).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:29 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 3269 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Pull them apart, apply plenty of grease and/or anti-seize. Enjoy. Worked for me. 2 years later, no noise.

Or upgrade to the XaXis bushings and reinstall.
Thorn661 likes this.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage

I upgraded my ball joints to the new style a few months ago after one went bad but don't see a need to do the bushings yet. Maybe some day. I found best prices for the ball joints (pair) at Jegs or Summit Racing. About $125 free shipping. Can't remember if I was charged tax or not.

2008 FJ - Sandstorm. Leveled - Bilstein 5100's - 285/70/17E Falken Wild Peak AT3W's - BMC - Light Racing Upper Control Arms - All Pro sliders - Rokmen Trailing Arms - Cobra 75 WX ST / Boztec / 3' Firefly - Baufeng UV-5R V2+ - Blacked out factory wheels and trim.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in