Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

What all do I need to do to get 35x12.50x20’s to fit?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  2010armygreen 
#1 ·
Anyone running this size and what did you do to make it work?

#2 ·
In cased you're not aware, getting 35's to physically fit in the wheel wells is the least of your problems (and expense).

Going to tires this large in diameter will significantly affect overall gear ratio, and will degrade driveability and increase fuel consumption unless you re-gear both differentials to return the overall gear ratio to something closer to the original ratio.

So you might think that just mounting big tires might make your rig look 'bad azz', but better plan on spending another $2K+ on re-gearing if you want to maintain street driveability, or ever take your rig off-road.

#3 ·
Re: What all do I need to do to get 35x12.50x20’s to fit?

He's wanting 20" rims, so he's probably going for a certain look rather than wanting to drive off-road.

#6 ·
I spend a lot more time in 5th when traveling 55-60. Deals with minor elevation changes. Top gear it loses speed because of boggling. You need a little more skill to drive in low range 1. Real slow and it tight conditions. Unfortunately sometimes you need to use bump and gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
FJtest and Iconic have given you all the info you need. You can put off re-gearing for a while but it's necessary to regain proper performance. A 3 inch lift, the Body Mount Chop and bending back the Pinch Welds are a must! This might sound like a daunting task but it's not that difficult. There are many videos on YouTube illustrating this procedure.

I'll add one recommendation. JBA High Caster Upper Control Arms. I went through 3 brands of UCA's before discovering JBA. Installed their arms last month and they are Keepers.

#12 ·
There are many different lifts on the market. Your obstacle is choosing one that meets your driving needs, ie pavement, off-road or a combination of both. I recommend contacting Toytec and discussing your requirements with them. Toytec has their own brand but sell other brands also. They have great customer service and will gladly help you chose a system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.