My Icon Suspension Needs To Be Rebuilt.... Again - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

10Likes
  • 1 Post By lamabamalane
  • 5 Post By ZerosFJ
  • 2 Post By debFJVT
  • 1 Post By mikey
  • 1 Post By Sparky of SoCal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up My Icon Suspension Needs To Be Rebuilt.... Again

Hello. So I have had icon stage 1 on my Fj Cruiser for about 4 years. I had to rebuild it about a year ago and now one of the coilovers is leaking some weird fluid. It has worked great off road but has always ridden stiff as hell on road. I have heard many people complain about the Icon suspension reliability and I regret my purchase.

So I need to do something with my suspension. I dont want to rebuild it because its probably going to break again in the future. Whats the most reliable and best riding suspension that will lift my FJ 2.5 inches? Im doing an overland build so keep in mind the added weight. Im thinking of going with toytech since they are only about 40 minutes away from me and my mechanic says they have had great luck with them.

PS: I live in Colorado and did not use the coilover covers in the winter and do not keep the suspension all that clean. Could this be the root of the problem?

Thanks!
Bluto likes this.

Last edited by lamabamalane; 06-11-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:08 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Re: My Icon Suspension Needs To Be Rebuilt.... Again

Quote:
lamabamalane previously said: View Post
Hello. So I have had icon stage 1 on my Fj Cruiser for about 4 years. I had to rebuild it about a year ago and now one of the coilovers is leaking some weird fluid. It has worked great off road but has always ridden stiff as hell on road. I have heard many people complain about the Icon suspension reliability and I regret my purchase.

So I need to do something with my suspension. I dont want to rebuild it because its probably going to break again in the future. Whats the most reliable and best riding suspension that will lift my FJ 2.5 inches? Im doing an overland build so keep in mind the added weight. Im thinking of going with toytech since they are only about 40 minutes away from me and my mechanic says they have had great luck with them.

PS: I live in Colorado and did not use the coilover covers in the winter and do not keep the suspension all that clean. Could this be the root of the problem?

Thanks!
Bilstein 6112 with 5160 best suited for overland, keep the front at 3rd notch for 2.5" lift.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:12 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

That 'weird fluid' will be oil. Lots of people use Icon with no issues but like all shocks they can leak and seals perish over time especially from salted roads.

Toytec have lots of options and are great to talk to as they have lots of knowledge about all the options and their suitability. If you're going to build a heavy overlander then you need to look at your springs not just your shocks.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:17 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 2139 Post(s)
Garage

Toytec is awesome for both their products and their customer service In the future Id definitely use coilovers covers, and boot the rear shock shafts for good measure (I do both year round). A major source of shock failure is rock pitting of the shaft which then compromises the seal and allows that oil to leak out.
Winterpeg and Bar3K like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:06 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

Quote:

Strong contributor to the problem.

When the rebuild was done a year ago - was it new seals only? If the shaft was not looked at for wear(measured) nicks and dings during the rebuild it could also be a contributing factor in the early failure.

For your overland build - skip the Bilstein 5160. The lower mount is a weak point (marble on a tooth pick) with the extra weight you are planning for the chances of this:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...oke-strut.html
Are increased. This would suck happening miles from anywhere.

With the ICON you have a good base to start from.
Get a solid rebuild
Ensure you have good spring - 700 lb
Use coilover covers all year round to protect your investment
Bar3K likes this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
I dont want to rebuild it because its probably going to break again in the future. Whats the most reliable and best riding suspension that will lift my FJ 2.5 inches? Im doing an overland build so keep in mind the added weight. Im thinking of going with toytech since they are only about 40 minutes away from me and my mechanic says they have had great luck with them.
Toytec's branded products are fine, but if you want a longer warranty go with the Old Man Emu BP-51's. They're 3 years fit&finish, compared to 1 year for most other products. I've had the BP-51's on both my FJ and my 4Runner (since new), it's a fantastic suspension.

Also, price rebuilding your Icon's against their value if you sell them. If it costs $200 to rebuild them and you can get $500-750 for them after rebuilding, it's an easy financial decision.

Quote:
PS: I live in Colorado
Are you a member of Colorado FJ Cruisers on Facebook? If you're looking for other people to offroad with, discounts from local vendors, meets&greets etc it's a great group to be a part of if you own an FJ in Colorado.

p.s. if you call Hugo at Toytec, Colorado FJ Cruisers members get a discount.

James in Arvada CO

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:17 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3379 Post(s)
Garage

BP-51. Install and be done.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:19 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3379 Post(s)
Garage

Or bring it up here as we're a Toytec dealer and installer.

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)

I also am not happy with my choice of ICON. Customer service is great. I use my ride off road. I sent my fronts in once to be rebuilt and was informed they were not worth rebuilding. They did make me a price on a replacement set that was to hard to say no. I have now had Bilsteins, OME and the ICONS. I wish I had gone with KINGS to start with and eventually have to buy some. Again the ICON customer service is great. All 4 shocks have at one time or another broke stems or top hats and they fixed them promptly and because I am able to will call there was no charge. I think for 85% off the keyboard pilots they are fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ArupFJ likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Icon is very hit and miss based on what I read. I got lucky, mine are getting up there in the miles without a hiccup. Lots of trips to the sand and snow, no covers used front or rear. I was diligent about keeping them clean however. I'll be going to King when I replace these since Icon doesn't service in house.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Tags
icon , rebuild , reliability , suspension , toytech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in