Strange alignment results - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By norm356
  • 2 Post By Bar3K

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Strange alignment results

Little back story on why I had an alignment done,
Just installed new Camburg UCA with Uni-Ball and some freshly rebuilt SAW 2.5Ē coil overs with 650lbs eibach springs... removed some Bilstein 5100 with a revtek spacer and stock coils,, As you can guess they truck wandered a bit at certain speeds and was a little squirrelly on panic stops. The cruiser feels amazing now, no-wondering at all, a firm but responsive ride. Iím super happy with how it rides/drives. Drives straight as an arrow down the roads and freeways, not twitchy or lazy feelings anywhere..
Now the weird part, as you can see from the alignment specs, the castor is nowhere near within spec? Doesnít make any sense to me... the Tech says if he tries to get more Castor out of it the camber goes away!,,,, the FJ only has 132k miles and has never been wrecked, I check the wheel bearings and lower control arm bushing and its all in great shape.. what gives?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	810202C0-DF09-451F-B9E0-525B6D2FD6EC.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	1085956  

2007 Voodoo Blue, 34x10.50x17 BFG KO2 . 17x8.5 DV8 bronze wheels, Camburg UCA, SAW 2.5ís with 650lb springs and All Pro rear springs.
TRD exhaust, K&N drop in, DRL hack, LED reverse bulbs, Setrab trans cooler..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:20 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Re: Strange alignment results

cant read .....lol
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
rambofj previously said: View Post
cant read .....lol
Iím Sorry man, there are Adult learning courses you can take to help you with reading....

2007 Voodoo Blue, 34x10.50x17 BFG KO2 . 17x8.5 DV8 bronze wheels, Camburg UCA, SAW 2.5ís with 650lb springs and All Pro rear springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:10 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)

Since you've fitted aftermarket upper control arms, and lifted the vehicle, if you are concerned about the result, it might be wise to start with a call to the maker of those arms for their advice.
MP6989 likes this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post

Since you've fitted aftermarket upper control arms, and lifted the vehicle, if you are concerned about the result, it might be wise to start with a call to the maker of those arms for their advice.
I contacted Camburg about the alignment and they said they build more caster into the arms and I shouldnít have any issues with attaining OE spec At Least, they tell me most of the time they can get over 4 degrees out of them... I have a few buddies with the same arms and they all have gotten theyíre alignments spot on, I think Iím gonna go to a different alignment shop and get a second opinion !!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)

"I’m gonna go to a different alignment shop and get a second opinion" - good idea.

By the way, are your lower control arms original?

Although you live in California, who's very mild climate might have left your LCA eccentric adjustment bolts in pristine condition, those of us in the rusty parts of America have found ours seized after only 80k miles. Remedy is to cut the old bolts off and then either salvage the old arms (maybe), or install brand new ones (which happen to come with a new ball joint, small compensation), in order to be able to properly align the front end.

I'm not sure even if frozen adjusters down there could cause your situation, just thinking out loud about a known issue in the area which might possibly be why your result is different from the other folks. Maybe ask the new alignment shop to check that out for you.

Best yet: ask them to disassemble those bolts and lather them with anti-seize for the future.

Norm

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Man, Iím gonna replace the lower arm bushings with energy suspension bushings, I hade the cams out when I put in the uppers just to make sure they were in good shape and looked as best as I could at the bushings and they seemed fine, Iím not worried about putting in the new lower bushings cause itís gotta be done eventually...
I just canít get my head around how good the cruiser drives now with the caster being this far out.. I mean it really tracks straight and has zero wander on side streets or the terrible freeways we have out here..

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Positive castor will not cause problems

Some of us request more + castor with larger tires to move the tire away from the body mount

I’m running +3 currently
Sparky of SoCal and MP6989 like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in