For a 3" Lift, is it worth considering anything besides Toytec? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
For a 3" Lift, is it worth considering anything besides Toytec?

Hello,

My stock FJ has roughly 40k miles. I'm looking to install a 3" lift (at the most). Since it has 40k miles, I thought it would be a good opportunity to change the shocks as well (nothing wrong with them though).

I keep coming back Toytec's 3" lift with Bilstein shocks, fully assembled front coils, etc for $1,012. Here is a link:
https://www.toyteclifts.com/ttha-ck-...runner-gx.html

From a quality, reputation, price, etc perspective seems hard to beat. But, before I drop $1k, any other lifts you'd recommend?

I'm I jumping the gun a bit by replacing shocks? 95% highway miles.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:32 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
Re: For a 3" Lift, is it worth considering anything besides Toytec?

I have 250k miles on an OME 3" lift. Shocks are STILL good, and the ride isn't harsh at all.

I had Bilstein on my last ride (2001 Rebuild on FJ60) and they were really harsh and did not take getting whacked by rocks well at all.

My OME shocks are dented and dinged and working fine still.

Emu may suck as a dinner dish, but their gear is sturdy and lasts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:58 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)

"(Am) I jumping the gun a bit by replacing shocks? 95% highway miles."

BTW, typically, shocks on a RWD vehicle like this do tend to last longer than the struts do on a FWD sedan, simply because they aren't exposed to as much wear by the nature of how they are applied to the suspension.

But for you, that information would be irrelevant: for a lift to work properly you must replace the shocks with longer stroke.

that is, unless you are only going for parking lot "stance" and won't take it off road, in which case the stroke won't matter and mere spacers would be enough :P

Norm
DallasDiy likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
longtooth previously said: View Post
I have 250k miles on an OME 3" lift. Shocks are STILL good, and the ride isn't harsh at all.

I had Bilstein on my last ride (2001 Rebuild on FJ60) and they were really harsh and did not take getting whacked by rocks well at all.

My OME shocks are dented and dinged and working fine still.

Emu may suck as a dinner dish, but their gear is sturdy and lasts.
Wow! That makes me feel better about MY decision. About a year ago, I replaced my stock suspension parts, plus a spacer lift, with an OME three-inch lift. At first, I thought it was very stiff on surface roads... Well, compared to stock shocks with over 100K miles (and probably 1/3 of that off-road), it probably is! Huge improvement in the off-road comfort - the hard bangs are only when the rock rails or skids hit rocks now!

I am pleased with the EMU setup. I cannot speak to the Toytec - no experience with it. I made my decision based on this forum, and the great advice from the EMU seller in our phone discussion.

Yes, your old shocks are probably fine, but buying a kit designed for the lift makes lots of sense to me.

Matt B
BrewsterII and DallasDiy like this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

Another thumbs up for a 3" OME lift! I am more than pleased with mine. Strong and durable, I love it!

I also put a set of SPC adj upper control arms on at the same time. It drives like a dream!

BrewsterII

Achilles ......
Unequivocally, the most radical, baddest, highly modified 4X4 in my driveway.

"It's not just a truck, it's a 4 wheel drive man cave."

Last edited by BrewsterII; 08-31-2019 at 11:27 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 03:37 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

This topic is interesting to me. Years ago I installed a 2.5 inch OME lift designed for the Toyota Fortuner. A large SUV style vehicle that was never imported into north America. The Kit was all inclusive with springs, shocks, and hardware. The worst suspension I ever purchased for any vehicle. Great for off road but soft, spongey, and almost uncontrollable when cornering on pavement. That was my only experience with OME and I've stayed away from them ever since. I know ONE is a popular brand for many people and perhaps their Fortuner kit was a one-off poor design but I cant bring myself to purchase OME again.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:13 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage

I have OME on my first FJ, and IMO its a great system. First thing I noticed they were much beefier than stock. I went with the heavy springs to compensate for after market front and rear bumpers, winch, dual battery and after market roof rack, etc. and I don't regret it. I'm sure the Toytec system is solid too, there are a lot of fans of it. I had Bilsteins on my F150 and had no issues. Both are reputable, and price is comparable, but I would go OME again in a heartbeat had I to do that choice over just because I am satisfied with them. For what its worth, I got my OMEs from Toytec, also fully assembled.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:51 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)

I feel that the single biggest improvement in ride on mine is due to shocks. I had basic factory ones, then installed OME along with springs. But I still feel that it was more the shocks.

I had about 100k on them when I replaced them with Bilstein 4600s. When I worked the old ones they still dampened fine, but there was no gas pressure in them. New shocks only rode slightly better.

I got the first set through Toytec and am happy with their service.
amaclach likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:43 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
olongapo2 previously said: View Post
This topic is interesting to me. Years ago I installed a 2.5 inch OME lift designed for the Toyota Fortuner. A large SUV style vehicle that was never imported into north America. The Kit was all inclusive with springs, shocks, and hardware. The worst suspension I ever purchased for any vehicle. Great for off road but soft, spongey, and almost uncontrollable when cornering on pavement. That was my only experience with OME and I've stayed away from them ever since. I know ONE is a popular brand for many people and perhaps their Fortuner kit was a one-off poor design but I cant bring myself to purchase OME again.
Interesting, I wonder if you needed a set of adjustable aftermarket upper control control arms to compensate for proper alignment and the higher speeds associated with highway driving.

BrewsterII

Achilles ......
Unequivocally, the most radical, baddest, highly modified 4X4 in my driveway.

"It's not just a truck, it's a 4 wheel drive man cave."

Last edited by BrewsterII; 08-31-2019 at 11:29 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
olongapo2 previously said: View Post
Did you put the Fortuner kit on the FJ or in a Fortuner?
I'd be surprised if it was sloppy like you describe - The Fortuner is based on the HiLux platform (albeit with coil springs in the rear). HiLux is OME's bread & butter.
Are you sure it wasn't a knockoff/fake kit?
Bar3K likes this.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in