3" lift for stock FJ? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By longtooth
  • 1 Post By fidelityflip
  • 1 Post By FJ BRUZER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
3" lift for stock FJ?

Hi, I am considering adding some lift to the FJ for aesthetic reasons. Earlier this year, I added steel front and rear bumpers as well as a 9,000lbs winch to this particular "Mall Crawler". Why? well... #1-I have a Jeep YJ that does the off roading and it is more "economical" to modify than the FJ. #2- I use the FJ as a "I am having a mid-life crisis, would you please look at me?" vehicle. I am not proud...

I digress...

With all said added weight, the FJ has dropped a little, specially up front. I was thinking of either doing a RC 3" lift; it comes with a spacer for front and new shocks/springs for the back OR the Pro Comp 3" lift with all 4 shocks and coils. Which one should I go for in this budget quest that would deliver some lift and leveling? is there something else I should consider?

Thank you in advance for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: 3" lift for stock FJ?

I did a Toytec lift. Buy once, cry once.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:55 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 2653 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Toytec BOSS 60K miles on mine, no problems. Adjustable coil overs for all that added weight up front. The only spacer you want is one in the drivers side rear to level it side to side. They all have that "lean".

Welcome to the Party Pal!

2011 NSSE

トヨタ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage

OME 3" complete lift, with TC UCA. I have about 279K miles on this lift, and the shocks and springs are still doing their thing. I figured I would replace them @ 200K miles, but they were doing fine - I took my front coils apart for nothing...LOL

If you are a mall crawler - I have ridden in several other lifted FJ's, but IMO the OME has a superior ride overall.

Others please note I said IMO...
FJ BRUZER and BrewsterII like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:33 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
longtooth previously said: View Post
Others please note I said IMO...
so it looks like you have done this internet thing before.

I have OME with Heavy Springs on mine and am very happy, though some might say the ride is a little rougher than stock, but it doesn't bother me one bit.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
salicrupa previously said: View Post
Hi, I am considering adding some lift to the FJ for aesthetic reasons. Earlier this year, I added steel front and rear bumpers as well as a 9,000lbs winch to this particular "Mall Crawler". Why? well... #1-I have a Jeep YJ that does the off roading and it is more "economical" to modify than the FJ. #2- I use the FJ as a "I am having a mid-life crisis, would you please look at me?" vehicle. I am not proud...

I digress...

With all said added weight, the FJ has dropped a little, specially up front. I was thinking of either doing a RC 3" lift; it comes with a spacer for front and new shocks/springs for the back OR the Pro Comp 3" lift with all 4 shocks and coils. Which one should I go for in this budget quest that would deliver some lift and leveling? is there something else I should consider?

Thank you in advance for the advice.
I tried the RC Spacer lift once for a few months, but it pushed my UCAs up so high it was hard to get the alignment right. I didn't like the way it stressed the ball joint at a funny angle either. I was able to sell the kit for a little less than what I bought it for, but I would definitely recommend a suspension lift, even if you don't off road this vehicle. Your front end will appreciate it. And a decent suspension lift will set you back about $1000, whereas a spacer is about $300? So to me the little extra for a quality lift is worth it.
salicrupa likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Garage

Of the 2 you mention, RC or Procomp..............I'd go with the Procomp
salicrupa likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
John Crusher previously said: View Post
I did a Toytec lift. Buy once, cry once.
This, exactly.

I just did the same, and there's plenty of crying both out of the wallet, and from your own sweat, blood, and tears (in that order) if you install it yourself too, but I'm hoping to have her a long time so its worth it. Do UCA's at the same time (I went with JBA), and just get 'er done.

You do NOT want to have to do your suspension over and over because you wanted to go cheap at first. I almost did that myself with a "Franken-kit" as the Toytec guy called it, by ordering Eibach Pro-Lift shocks and Toytec springs to go on it. Once I learned that BOSS 2.0 shocks are Eibach as well the springs, that sorta sealed the deal for me (I like that smoooooth Eibach valving from other vehicles I've run suspension upgrades in.)

Buy once, cry once. And at least it feels a little like your truck is having a birthday or Christmas party or something when parts start rolling in. Edit: does good to call them and remind them you're a member here, as they gave me a discount that felt pretty nice, especially in this niche market of high margin goods and expensive shipping.

2012 Cavalry Blue - 3" Toytec BOSS 2.0 lift, JBA Control arms, Fuel Anza 17x8.5, Patagonia M/T 285/70-17, roof wrapped in Avery satin black vinyl, all work DIY for better or worse

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Tags
lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in