Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Do I need shock boots?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  triggermalone 
#1 ·
Yesterday I had the Toytec front adjustable coil overs, and rear Toytec springs installed and my new tires put on! :clap: Aside from a few adjustments and tweaks I need to make it turned out well and looks to be a great set-up.

For the new rear shocks Doug suggested the Pro Comp 9000 shocks which I went with. I didn't open the boxes and just took them to the shop yesterday morning. Last night I noticed that the shocks did not have any boots or cover on them, just the bare shaft. So my question is...should I take the shocks off and install some kind of boot on them? It seems like some kind of covering would be nice to protect them but I also know that some boots can be a pain.

Thanks for your advice!

#2 ·
Definitely. Any protection from grit getting to the wipers is most important in adding longevity to the shock!:)

#6 ·
I think all of the photos I have seen of the new adjustables show the shocks without the boots on. I did wonder about this as well. I guess the spring is in the way of any big rocks hitting the shock, so I am sure it is fine. You should be washing off the mud and stuff after any runs anyway...

#9 ·
Just my 2 cents here.......

I talked to one of the techs at Walker Evans Racing just last week about my shocks. i have a rear that looses the nitrogen. i was told by him that they recommend running boots on the rear shocks because of where they are mounted, on the front side of the wheel. he told me they see a lot of them with nicked shafts from stones being thrown at them from the tires. the nicks then eat up the seals and you get a bad shock. i have always stayed away from boots because i have seen them fill up with mud, but now i'm going to put a pair on mine.

the factory shocks had guards covering the shafts....... maybe Toyota is smarter than we think?????

scotty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.