LRA Aux Fuel Tank Installation - Page 20 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Tech Articles Staging Area All articles which are not finalized should be started in here.

262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: LRA Aux Fuel Tank Installation

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
No time like the present, BR?
I'm just a slow old Fa rt........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:53 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
I'm just a slow old Fa rt........
Case in point! A guy could trip over his bottle of Geritol tomorrow!
Gitter dun', son!
bazross likes this.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #193 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Case in point! A guy could trip over his bottle of Geritol tomorrow!
Gitter dun', son!
working on it as fast as my zimmer frame allows, pop

CabinCruiser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 PM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
working on it as fast as my zimmer frame allows, pop

Come on now. They make mechanized mobility nowadays!

bazross likes this.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #195 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Come on now. They make mechanized mobility nowadays!

old skool for an old Fa rt
them techno gizmo's too fancy for this ol bloke
CabinCruiser likes this.
post #196 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)

Quote:
DucRider previously said: View Post
Really no reason to mount the aux battery in the back. Plus, if you're doing any sort of DC to DC charging you'll want it up front near the starter battery. My suggestion is you run a 4AWG wire from the engine bay, off your aux batt (with a 100A fuse at the batt) and then use a distribution block in the rear to divide the power out. For example, I have done this and run my ARB Dual compressor, JL Audio amplifier, rear DC power ports, etc. off of this line. Each item is fused at the distribution block as well. You wouldn't want to tap the LRA fuel pump power from this line, but rather do as Chris has done and install a relay off the switch. Keep the relay up near the switch and then run a thicker gauge wire to the pump. You could run this line in parallel with the 4AWG and then you're ready when the time comes to add the LRA tank.
(Now this is trending back to being more applicable to the original thread topic ...)

DucRider, I'm not sure I would agree with some of your suggestions, maybe you can provide some additional information that would help bring things into focus.

In your own setup you ran a #4 AWG wire to the rear of the vehicle to a power distribution block, which supplies power to a twin ARB compressor, audio amp, and DC power ports. This is all reasonable, and sized to support the 70A full-load current of the compressor. You didn't state if you used a local chassis ground, or ran a second #4 AWG ground wire back from the engine bay.

(Coincidentally, I have an almost identical circuit topology in my FJ, powering a single ARB pump, a fridge, and an aux 12VDC outlet in the rear. I have a 50A marine circuit breaker in the engine bay, and individual aircraft circuit breakers for each load on the rear power distribution panel.)

What I'm not clear on is why you are suggesting NOT to power the LRA fuel pump from this circuit, but instead run another set of conductors back from the engine bay to the pump, with the pump control relay close to the power source and the the manual pump switch.

It's extremely unlikely (and certainly not recommended) that you would be running the compressor and the fuel transfer pump simultaneously. So the concern would be the total load current when powering the audio amp and/or the aux DC outlet at the same time as the fuel transfer pump. I don't know anything about your audio amp or what kind of loads you might be powering from the aux DC outlet, but it would seem that a circuit that could safely supply 70A for the compressor would be more than adequate for these non-compressor loads without experiencing any significant voltage drop.

I think a better setup would be to power the fuel pump from your existing rear DC bus, locating the relay near the rear distribution block, and running only relatively small-gauge wiring back from the cab-mounted pump control switch to the relay coil. Less wire carrying pump load current, less wire cost, less weight, etc. Normally you would want to locate the load control relay as close to the load as possible.

Maybe I'm missing some other factor?
post #197 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
(Now this is trending back to being more applicable to the original thread topic ...)

DucRider, I'm not sure I would agree with some of your suggestions, maybe you can provide some additional information that would help bring things into focus.

In your own setup you ran a #4 AWG wire to the rear of the vehicle to a power distribution block, which supplies power to a twin ARB compressor, audio amp, and DC power ports. This is all reasonable, and sized to support the 70A full-load current of the compressor. You didn't state if you used a local chassis ground, or ran a second #4 AWG ground wire back from the engine bay.

(Coincidentally, I have an almost identical circuit topology in my FJ, powering a single ARB pump, a fridge, and an aux 12VDC outlet in the rear. I have a 50A marine circuit breaker in the engine bay, and individual aircraft circuit breakers for each load on the rear power distribution panel.)

What I'm not clear on is why you are suggesting NOT to power the LRA fuel pump from this circuit, but instead run another set of conductors back from the engine bay to the pump, with the pump control relay close to the power source and the the manual pump switch.

It's extremely unlikely (and certainly not recommended) that you would be running the compressor and the fuel transfer pump simultaneously. So the concern would be the total load current when powering the audio amp and/or the aux DC outlet at the same time as the fuel transfer pump. I don't know anything about your audio amp or what kind of loads you might be powering from the aux DC outlet, but it would seem that a circuit that could safely supply 70A for the compressor would be more than adequate for these non-compressor loads without experiencing any significant voltage drop.

I think a better setup would be to power the fuel pump from your existing rear DC bus, locating the relay near the rear distribution block, and running only relatively small-gauge wiring back from the cab-mounted pump control switch to the relay coil. Less wire carrying pump load current, less wire cost, less weight, etc. Normally you would want to locate the load control relay as close to the load as possible.

Maybe I'm missing some other factor?
Good points, here are answers to your questions:

- Grounding: I did all of my grounds locally on the chassis
- Multiple loads at once: Agree, the circuit could handle all of this and it wouldn't overload it
- Where to power pump from: I only suggested putting a relay up front as he'd be able to wire it in near the switch, but you're correct, he could power it further down the line (near back of vehicle) and run the trigger wire for the relay, which would be thinner AWG wire. However, we're taking about 14AWG vs 18/20AWG, so to me it's not really a big deal (not like my winch that is triggered by 18AWG, but runs power across 0AWG).

Good discussion!
post #198 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 PM
Forum Regular

I'm in the middle of my tank installation and found something that is different on my 2013 vs. what comes with the kit. The Fuel Pump Control Module on my 2013 has a mounting bracket with screws that come in from the top and bottom vs. the other version which mounts in from the back. The bracket that comes with the LRA kit doesnít work for my style module, so I had to improvise (big thanks to @rx100 for discussing with me on FaceTime while he was driving!). Drilled some holes and connected them together. Figured others with a 2013-2014 would want to know this before diving in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2199.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	1076930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	1076932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	759.9 KB
ID:	1076934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	1076936  
CRayFJ, tankfixer and Uncharted like this.
post #199 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:39 PM
Forum Regular

Got the tank mounted and all hoses connected today. Will wire the fuel pump tomorrow and be ready to go.

A word of advice when tightening the nuts on the bracket that the U-Bolts go through: Alternate back and forth when tightening the two (front to rear of vehicle). The bracket doesn't give much room to get a socket around the nuts that are closest to the tank, so if you tighten the opposing side of the U-Bolt too much it'll pull the thread closer to the tank and you're screwed.

I found another issue with the LRA kit that needs to be corrected. The white plastic rollover valve that comes with the LRA tank has a 1/4" barb fitting. The side you connect this to on the LRA fill neck is a 5/16" barb fitting. The hose that's provided for this is 5/16". Yes, it's only 1/16 of an inch in difference so you could just tighten it down more, but I want everything to match right so that I don't go throwing codes or having any leaks. I didn't realize this until after the LRA filler neck was installed and connected to the OEM section that I cut-off, otherwise I would get the proper fitting with 1/4" barb and then run 1/4" hose the hole way through (this is the proper way). Instead I took the leftover section of 1/4" hose that I cut-off from the OEM rollover tube to the LRA neck and connected it to the white plastic rollover valve on the LRA tank. I ordered a hose barb adapter that goes from 1/4" to 5/16" (will arrive tomorrow) and will connect the 1/4" hose to a section of 5/16" and then up to the neck. I shouldn't have to be doing this so I'll advise Cruiser Bro's of this, as I believe it needs to be updated in the kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2263.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	1077188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2252.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	1077190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2253.jpg
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	1077192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2267.jpg
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	1077194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	1077196  

bazross and CRayFJ like this.

Last edited by DucRider; 04-27-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #200 of 222 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:14 PM
Forum Regular

Quick update - tested it out last night, put in 5 gallons, transferred it to the main. All went through smooth. Burned some of the fuel, added 10 more gallons, then transferred it. All went well and it filled the main. Started the vehicle this morning and had CEL and TRAC OFF illuminated. Pulled the codes and got P0441 and P0455. These imply something is wrong with the EVAP (charcoal canister) system. I checked and everything looks good from a hose connection perspective, so I'm wondering if it's an issue with the gas cap. I pulled it, tightened it down and cleared the codes. I'm all ears for anyone else that may have experienced these issues. Let's hope it doesn't return!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > FJ Cruiser Technical Articles & Buyers Guides > Tech Articles Staging Area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in