Kobalt tools - It's a shame - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Tools The discussion of tools related to the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Kobalt tools - It's a shame

You bring up a good point, Mark. There are many specialty items like you mentioned that are worth going to Snap-On for.

Another note regarding Kobalt, I bought a big set of their pliers, slip joints, linesmen, needlenose, etc a couple of years ago. The pliers and slip joints are garbage. They do not have a clue on how to make those joints to keep them moving on you.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lowe's just re stocked their tools with their new line. Guess what? TAIWAN!!! Couldn't believe it. Still a lifetime guarantee and some pretty good looking tools. I would doubt the quality of the steel and durability of the tools until shown otherwise. Another one bites the dust.

Life may not be the party we ask for, but while we are here we might as well dance.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I bought a Kobalt coping saw the other day... took a few strokes and ripped the plastic handle off. Not good.

-Mike (W7FJC)
check out my BLOG thing...
AZFJ.org - Arizona FJ Cruisers!
Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 AM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7041 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
tibaal89 previously said: View Post
I bought a Kobalt coping saw the other day... took a few strokes and ripped the plastic handle off. Not good.
Yes, but you're a beast Mike.

I've got a mixture of some Proto and SK tools that are 30+ years old and they have been good tools. I've broken a couple of sockets that were replaced with no problems. I also have a pretty big set of Craftsman that are 20+ years old that are the same way and I've only had to replace a couple of sockets.

The really special tools I have are a cheap, off brand, in the bargain bin at (name your place.....Kmart, Walmart, etc.) little metric socket set with a rachet, short and long extension, spark plug socket, and about a dozen sockets in a little plastic box. I bought it almost 35+ years ago for working on my motorcycle. The set has been through 3 motorcycles, 2 VW's, 2 Fords, and 3 Toyotas of my own and several other bikes and vehicles of friends. They've been used, abused, beaten on, used with a cheater, and you name it, I haven't broken any part of the set yet (knock on wood). I paid less than $10.00 for the set. Not to bad of an investment.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Hog Chain previously said: View Post
Lowe's just re stocked their tools with their new line. Guess what? TAIWAN!!! Couldn't believe it. Still a lifetime guarantee and some pretty good looking tools. I would doubt the quality of the steel and durability of the tools until shown otherwise. Another one bites the dust.
Taiwan is a definite step up from most Chinese products.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)

I guess I got the good stuff from the lowes pics. Seven years ago I moved to Ohio and invested around $1000 on tools and have never had an issue with them. I don't use them everyday but every week. Individual long Allen wrenches would be something I would invest some money in I'm tired of cutting the tips off the ones I have currently.

Thank you Vets

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage

All my home tools are Snap-on, Craftsmen, Matco, and a few odd and ends... Wont take my good stuff out to the races... to many sticky fingers. God made Harbor Freight for that purpose. Lol. Still amazed on what "grows legs and walks away" out in the desert.

'07 FJ Cruiser Ti - Build up
M.O.R.E. #3030 - Class 3000 Racing
Horse Power = How Fast You Hit the Wall .....
Torque = How Much of the Wall, You Take With You.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have always been a Craftsman guy be cause their tools were reasonably priced, US Made, and while not being Snap-on, Matco, or MAC quality, they were good enough for the serious hobbyist. Also they had the advantage of being easily replaced by going to Sears, as opposed to having to deal with a tool truck guy.
Sadly Craftsman appears to be going down the same road as Kobalt. While at Sears this weekend noticed that their latest ratchets are all made in Taiwan. All of the wrenches I looked at with the exception of their standard combo wrenches, and the Professional combo wrenches were made in China or Taiwan. I noticed that the Standard Crossforce wrenches were US made and the Metrics were China or Taiwan. Probably old stock Standards. Sockets, extensions and screwdrivers in their standard line are still US made. Evolv and Universal lines are all import.

There is a pronounced difference in the quality of US vs Taiwan ratchets. Which brings me to the question of the value of the Craftsman Warranty. I would be a seriously upset customer, if I brought in a broken US made Craftsman tool and was handed a Chinese inferior quality tool as a replacement.
This applies to all of you who have quality, older Husky and Kobalt tools as well. If you break those they are absolutely going to be replaced with Chinese/Taiwanese crap. Any thoughts?

I realize this post focuses a lot on country of origin, but in our current economic state I think that supporting US manufacturing is extremely important. And I do think US made tools are of superior quality to those made in elsewhere.
All of this is pushing me to look at reasonably priced, Industrial and Professional brands as an alternative. Armstrong and SK are both pretty readily available on the internet, not too expensive and excellent quality US made tools.

2010 6MT Army Green

Last edited by WildSteve; 01-31-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

For the price of a really good professional set, I could easily buy 3-5x regular set. I hear the issue with tools breaking, but in this day and age of lifetime warranties, buying 2x sets, breaking one part or set, reverting to using the 2nd set and repairing the first when I have time is still cheaper and arguably less downtime than breaking a part of a single pro-set.

Still using the walmart $10 socket from 12 years ago, and have the 2x costco 200 pc crescent tool sets when they were on clearance for $60.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)

currently I still have Snap-On, Mac, Craftsman, Husky, and Kobalt. wrenches and sockets.
Our local Lowes really BLowes. They didn`t have squat as far as wrenches or individual sockets. Up until this Christmas season after being open for at least 5 years did they decide to get creative and start stocking individual wrenches and sockets. but they still lack in 6 point and other various common tools.
Unfortunately I still shop craftsman at Sears bc they have a huge selection and most likely have what I need. I also have other brands of specialty tools and Lisle is a decent company as is OTC etc.

I recently went to Homo depot for a 3/8 inpact gun as I did like the husky line, they have the gun but absolutely no 3/8 drive impact sockects, so I asked the floor person and they didn`t have an answer, so off I went to BLowes and bought the Kobalt 3/8 impact gun along with a set of 3/8 metric impact sockets and so far I`m pleased with this little gun...

My air tools consist of Ingersol Rand, Mac, Craftsman, and some cheaper MPP and CH air ratchets and whizzers.

I`m not a big fan of the junk sold at HBF. but I think I bought a 1/2 drive Deep impact sockets in metric that are very good...

my first sockets sets when I was a kid were Husky and that was almost 40 years ago.

Last edited by 51062; 01-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion > Tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in