Hi-Lifts and similar tools - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Tools The discussion of tools related to the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Re: Hi-Lifts and similar tools

Quote:
Voight Kampff previously said: View Post
A Hi-Lift is a lot like an axe: if you're not really careful about what you're doing, someone is going to get hurt.
Or you're going to put a nice gouge in your FJ.
I've found little use for em though they do have there place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Garage

And they are definitely NOT intended to be used on smooth concrete floors...

I have had no issues lifting from the sliders on both the FJ and 4Runner when they were parked in the gravel driveway.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:04 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7041 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Who carries a hi-lift?

I bought one about 20 years ago along with a cover and the pickup bed mounts to put in my old '90 Toyota pickup and it's been sitting in my living room or another room ever since then. It's probably an antique by now and will be worth something to someone when I die.

How often have you used your hi-lift and in what situations?

I've never used mine. (see above) I have however used one that Dad had while still at home. We used them to slide the tongues on mobile homes sideways, lifted buildings, I've helped stretch fence with one, I've helped use them for a few other things around the house with Dad and friends too.

Has anyone ever seen one fail, used improperly, or cause injury?

Dad's failed or started to fail at least once that I remember. It would jack up so far and then start slipping back down if you tried to go farther. I don't remember exactly what the cause was, but he rebuilt something and replaced a pin if I remember right and it worked good again. I've seen a couple of people get hands smashed when using one. Nothing really bad. I was using one and pushing down on the handle and almost got hit in the face when it popped up, but luckily I leaned back just enough that it missed me. Back shortly after this forum was started there was a discussion on Hi-Lift jacks and the dangers. Someone posted up a few photos of their thumb that was smashed and it had split open on the sides. They got it caught between the handle and the jack and it was pretty nasty. I tried to find the thread awhile back and never could find it.

How do you maintain your hi-lift?

I bought it and set it in a corner of the living room 20 years ago and never moved it since then.

How do you carry it?

I don't.

What alternatives exist and how good are they?

All I've ever used when off road is my stock jack that came with the vehicle. Even the one in the FJ would extend out enough to work with my lift and bigger tires to change a flat and I had some 2"x6"x12" boards that I could set it on or use one on top of it or whatever. I've helped a friend and we used a stock jack and he had a small hydraulic bottle jack too. I've seen those "Air Bags" that you can fill with a compressor or hook it to your exhaust used on an FJ in Moab. The guy broke an axle and pulled out one of those ARB Air Bags and stuck it up under the FJ right behind the front wheel, hooked up the hose to it and the exhaust and it lifted the FJ right up. When the tire was pulled off it was slid underneath to act like a barrier to hold the FJ if there was a problem with the air bag. It worked great and the only thing we could see that might hurt it is if you were on sharp rocks or if something on the vehicle was sharp that came in contact with it.
TactilTex likes this.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
Who carries a hi-lift?

I bought one about 20 years ago along with a cover and the pickup bed mounts to put in my old '90 Toyota pickup and it's been sitting in my living room or another room ever since then. It's probably an antique by now and will be worth something to someone when I die.

How often have you used your hi-lift and in what situations?

I've never used mine. (see above) I have however used one that Dad had while still at home. We used them to slide the tongues on mobile homes sideways, lifted buildings, I've helped stretch fence with one, I've helped use them for a few other things around the house with Dad and friends too.

Has anyone ever seen one fail, used improperly, or cause injury?

Dad's failed or started to fail at least once that I remember. It would jack up so far and then start slipping back down if you tried to go farther. I don't remember exactly what the cause was, but he rebuilt something and replaced a pin if I remember right and it worked good again. I've seen a couple of people get hands smashed when using one. Nothing really bad. I was using one and pushing down on the handle and almost got hit in the face when it popped up, but luckily I leaned back just enough that it missed me. Back shortly after this forum was started there was a discussion on Hi-Lift jacks and the dangers. Someone posted up a few photos of their thumb that was smashed and it had split open on the sides. They got it caught between the handle and the jack and it was pretty nasty. I tried to find the thread awhile back and never could find it.

How do you maintain your hi-lift?

I bought it and set it in a corner of the living room 20 years ago and never moved it since then.

How do you carry it?

I don't.

What alternatives exist and how good are they?

All I've ever used when off road is my stock jack that came with the vehicle. Even the one in the FJ would extend out enough to work with my lift and bigger tires to change a flat and I had some 2"x6"x12" boards that I could set it on or use one on top of it or whatever. I've helped a friend and we used a stock jack and he had a small hydraulic bottle jack too. I've seen those "Air Bags" that you can fill with a compressor or hook it to your exhaust used on an FJ in Moab. The guy broke an axle and pulled out one of those ARB Air Bags and stuck it up under the FJ right behind the front wheel, hooked up the hose to it and the exhaust and it lifted the FJ right up. When the tire was pulled off it was slid underneath to act like a barrier to hold the FJ if there was a problem with the air bag. It worked great and the only thing we could see that might hurt it is if you were on sharp rocks or if something on the vehicle was sharp that came in contact with it.
Nailed it! The highlift is a nice thing to have in the extremely rare event you need it.
After all the years of it puking rust and grease on my FJ I got rid of it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:26 PM

Oh...if you frequent the beach you might be better off with a winch and a shovel to bury your spare.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
Hi-Lifts and similar tools

I just purchased a 48" Hi-Lift from a local 4x4 shop. The guy price matches online prices, so it was a good deal. I also picked up tube mounts from @tgormtx to mount it on the bull bar of my WARN bumper only when I'm off-road. The rest of the time it will be in the garage. It will be part of my "(un)rigging" on both sides of a trip (I don't carry recovery gear in the city).

I debated for a very long time whether or not to make this purchase. I did a ton of reading here and on other sites/forums. Arguments and opinions (as with everything) are compelling on both sides. I also watch Ronnie Dahl's vids on YouTube. This one was particularly helpful: http://youtu.be/9FRMK7ZstaY

To me it's a matter of buying quality, respecting a tool and knowing how to use it. Same as a floor jack in a garage, winch, etc. Sure, that doesn't mean accidents can't happen, but I don't spend all of my time worrying about "what if's." I just try to educate myself and hope for the best.

Dan

Quote:
TheThorn previously said: View Post
Maybe it could say, "I carry my own poop out."
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 01:42 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage

I have been thinking about getting a Hi Lift jack but after reading everyone comments, I think I can go without and just rely on the bottle jack. Thanks everybody. (going to have to get a wench though)
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 04:27 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage

I'll still carry mine, I may never use it but when you need one you really need one. I love driving the beaches in early spring and winter when there's no one around and no tree to uses for winching so its helpful to be as self sufficient as possible.
amaclach likes this.

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him for ever.
爸爸龙
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 05:29 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2960 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Papa Dragon previously said: View Post
I'll still carry mine, I may never use it but when you need one you really need one. I love driving the beaches in early spring and winter when there's no one around and no tree to uses for winching so its helpful to be as self sufficient as possible.
On sand in conjunction with maxtrax & a shovel, they're essential equipment.
I know this from experience. I live in a sandy place.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 05:41 AM
Desert Moderator

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2960 Post(s)
Garage

Who carries a hi-lift? - I do

How often have you used your hi-lift and in what situations? - quite often. Mostly getting a tire onto a rim after a pop off, but also for self-recovery in sand (jack & pack with maxtrax) - on flat sand as well as when stuck on dune crests. I use the offroad base & the lift mate (lifts the vehicle by the wheel).

Has anyone ever seen one fail, used improperly, or cause injury? - my hand slipped off the handle once and it smacked me in the jaw. I lived to tell the tale. I've had one slip twice due to someone getting into the car & starting it (lifting the front wheel - steering lock off, power steering on - DOH!)

How do you maintain your hi-lift? - Water & WD40 when it needs it

How do you carry it? - Bolted down in the floor area

What alternatives exist and how good are they? - Bushranger X-Jack (airbag) - work well until they melt/tear.

As an aside - I've seen more Hi-Lifts used as ornaments than real recovery tools. Like every tool, you need to know how to use it safely in order to get any benefit from it. I've also seen a lot of 4x4s that have never been offroad, and I've seen a lot of capable vehicles stuck offroad due to a lack of operator talent/experience.

Black '14 6MT
Stock bumpers
Some mods

Rear Diff Lock on Demand mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mand-hack.html

Nannies Off Mod: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post1183262

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion > Tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in