Hi-Lifts and similar tools - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Tools The discussion of tools related to the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Hi-Lifts and similar tools

Who carries a hi-lift? -Everyone should i recently upgraded to a 60IN last time 48In was barely enough

How often have you used your hi-lift and in what situations? - I have used it to change a lot of tires, as a winch & also jacked my truck up & kept pushing it off the jack front & rear until I was on firm ground again.

Has anyone ever seen one fail, used improperly, or cause injury? -Anytime that you introduce the human condition there will be injuries I have seen people get cut with a plastic spoon

How do you maintain your hi-lift? - Water & WD40 when it needs it

How do you carry it? - I used to carry it on my rack now its on my Red Eye Bumper

What alternatives exist and how good are they? - Everything else is very expensive & I haven't seen these others in operation in the feild

[SIGPIC]07 Sun fusion MT 887X OME Bilstein 5100 TRD short throw shifter Overhead console MOD TRD intake, ARB front & red eye rear bumpers Flow master CAT back EXH 9500 Engo Winch Demello Hybrid sliders Snorkel lefty T case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 07:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Who carries a hi-lift? I do a 60 inch version

How often have you used your hi-lift and in what situations? I have practiced with my Hi-Lift in the yard before each trip to make sure it is working properly. Have I needed it on the trail, not yet but others have had to use them.

Has anyone ever seen one fail, used improperly, or cause injury? Yes, I saw a knock-off fail, don't skimp on essential gear.

How do you maintain your hi-lift? I store it in the garage when not on wheeling trips, I use Tri-Flow chain lube, doesn't attract as much grit as other lubricants.

How do you carry it? Mounted to the roof rack.

What alternatives exist and how good are they? I have the bottle jack with the off-road base, eventually I will upgrade to the SafeJack kit.

08 Sandstorm, CQ, OF, C7, CF, All Wthr Mats, TG Sliders, Extra Horn, Tundra Handles, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Springtail M-PAC HD Side Rack, Basket, , Stand Alone Fuse Block, IPF 968, LED's under hood, extra 12v outlets, FJTOYMAN's rear shock skids, Scuba Mod, IronMan Front Coils/ToyTec Rear Coils, Bilsteins, ToyTec Swaybar Relo Kit, IMP Shift & Tcase knobs, BudBuilt Skids, Demello/EXp1 Bumpers, 10lb Powertank, Viper Max 12k Winch with Amsteel Synth Line, FrontRunner Slimline II Rack and accessory mounts, LED Spot Lights on rack, SPC LR UCAs, Bandi Body Lift & BMC
KD2HWV
TLCA #19565
GCLC #2128
http://www.fjnortheasters.org
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Hi-Lifts and similar tools

I carry mine on my roof rack all the time. I used to take it on and off for the trails vs daily driving. But I try to get out most weekends and I just got lazy and left it on.
I recently got a cover to keep it in good shape. I've used it to change 2 tires and once as a winch...I bought a real winch after that incident.
I've used the Jack for several non vehicle tasks. I've pulled out a couple stumps, moved a shed, adjusted trailers, pried off concrete forms and moved boulders for landscaping. High lift is a brand name for the more general farm jack. They really do have a lot of uses besides off-roading if you need a lot of force applied anywhere.
Edit: if you are going to use it for off-roading you need to either have sliders and a tubing adaptor, a bumper with lift points, or a high lift mate. Without one of these, trying to lift the FJ will either hurt you or your vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by Usedbutnotabused; 09-22-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Garage

I carried my first one up on the roof full time and it rusted so bad it didn`t work anymore. My new one is on the truck on trail day and in the garage the rest of the time

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion > Tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in