Welder... - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Tools The discussion of tools related to the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr Earl
  • 1 Post By PliskinAJ
  • 1 Post By Seauba

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
fka BLACK HAWK

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Welder...

Picked this up from a guy I helped move. Don't know if it's worth a dang . looks like it'll weld up to 1/4 in. Maybe now I can build me a full length roofrack basket for the OEM rack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

" You can't be afraid to scratch it "

Last edited by NyNomad; 04-14-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Re: Welder...

Up to 1/4" is more than you need for your own armour. Have fun!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

So the plug indicates it's 110V, which means you may need to stick to gasless flux core wire to weld the thicker steel. Some people will say that welding with shield gas is the only way to go. Maybe, but I've made some strong and reasonably pretty welds with flux core on thick steel. Have fun with it!
NyNomad likes this.

2014 Army Green 6MT | Off-Road Package | OEM Sliders | Eibach 112-620s, SAWs, 5100s | Trailer Hitch | TT Shifter Knobs | Full Ricochets | RCI Diff Skid | DIY LCA skids | 255/75-17 BFG KM M/T | Custom Roof Rack Front Crossbar & Hi-Lift Mount | K&N Air Filter | Midland 75-822; Walcott SS Mount | Hella 500FFs | Old-Style Brush Guard | Metal-Tech Rear LCA Mount Skids | DIY Rack Deflector | US OffRoad Winch Bumper | Engo 9K Winch | DIY Shackle Link | FJToyman Shock Skids | Grocery Bag Hanger Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:13 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

I've had great success with flux core too. It's not as pretty, but just as strong (stronger if you consider you can do thicker material with the same machine)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 01:33 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Garage

You can weld what ever thickness you want with almost any machine. The 1/4" is the max it can reasonably deposit in one pass. You could weld thicker, just takes multiple passes.

Gasless flux core is good if you don't want to buy a bottle and have all the other equipment that is required for a shield gas. Easily another 400+ in equipment. With flux though you must make sure you remove all the flux from your welds if you make a second pass and you have to make sure you have proper settings so you don't trap flux into your weld. Trapped flux greatly decreases your weld's strength. If you don't plan on using the machine much stick with the Flux core

The inside of the machine should have the settings for material thicknesses along with wire types it suggests. If you follow those settings to start with you should be fine.

I don't do flux at the house but opted to get a bottle of 75/25 Ar/CO2 mix and use hard wire mig.
Seauba likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
fka BLACK HAWK

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Cool. Thank you guys! Hopefully one of these days I can play with it. To much work going

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

" You can't be afraid to scratch it "
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 64 Post(s)

I Googled "Forney EZ Weld" and it appears that it is a flux core only machine with no capacity for gas. So that decision has been made for you.

Again, I'm not even a good weldor much less an expert, but it seems that strong welds are a function of penetration, and multiple passes of low-penetration welds typical of a 110V welder running gas and solid wire may not achieve the results of flux core welds from the same machine, on thicker steel. But it is important to practice a lot to eliminate flux inclusions, and personally I don't (yet) weld anything that could endanger me or others.

BTW, I use Hobart E71T-11 wire and have had good luck with it.

2014 Army Green 6MT | Off-Road Package | OEM Sliders | Eibach 112-620s, SAWs, 5100s | Trailer Hitch | TT Shifter Knobs | Full Ricochets | RCI Diff Skid | DIY LCA skids | 255/75-17 BFG KM M/T | Custom Roof Rack Front Crossbar & Hi-Lift Mount | K&N Air Filter | Midland 75-822; Walcott SS Mount | Hella 500FFs | Old-Style Brush Guard | Metal-Tech Rear LCA Mount Skids | DIY Rack Deflector | US OffRoad Winch Bumper | Engo 9K Winch | DIY Shackle Link | FJToyman Shock Skids | Grocery Bag Hanger Delete
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage

A good portion of the quality of results is in the prep work and positioning. The rest is the actual technique. I have found my tombstone stick welder to be easier to learn for clean welds than my wire fed, but I love both.
CaliFj117 likes this.

Last edited by Seauba; 04-16-2016 at 11:50 AM. Reason: speeling and gramnar
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Seauba previously said: View Post
A good portion of the quality of results is in the prep work and positioning. The rest is the actual technique. I have found my tombstone stick welder to be easier to learn for clean welds than my wire fed, but I love both.
This right here...when I was looking for the best welder for home use I picked up a cheap Fourney at first but it wasn't until I learned how important the prep work was that my welds started to improve. This is coming from someone who now has both a Hobart and a cheap Fourney.

[I]'07 Black Diamond 4X4; AT; LD; A-Trac; OEM Roof Rack; OEM Skids; Blacked out Front and Rear
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage

Forney makes great equipment. You can easily make any kind of armor or a roof rack using fluxcore with a little machine like that. Not sure if it has the capacity to run argon shielding gas but honestly with a decent welder you can make fluxcore welds look damn good its all about how much arc time you have. Ive built an entire trailer from the axels up with a $200 Hobart from Harbour Freight using fluxcore. Don't know how much welding experience you have but a small machine like that should be enough to do all the basic fabrication you can think of. You don't need an expensive machine unless you're doing highly technical welding or ironwork with really thick steel. Stick to 1/4" Mild steel and .30 or .35 fluxcore wire and you'll be fine.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion > Tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in