socket set - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Tools The discussion of tools related to the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Forum Veteran
 
plnfixr320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: High Desert CA
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Re: socket set

Quote:
Mustang previously said: View Post
This was half true about 5 years ago. Williams, a subsidary of Snap-on, used to make these until they lost the contract a few years ago. They were never the same as Snap-on branded tools. Now the OEM is Danaher.

That is about when I heard the story, so I was feeding everyone old info.

Public apology.

Sorry guys.

My 2007 Ti -- R.I.P.

Make me famous...

New rig on tons

Quote:
skersfan previously said: View Post
Ambulance chasers should be shot at sunrise.
...and now with working links in my sig

Buy my truck
plnfixr320 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Forum Master
 
White Rim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: socket set

IMO there is Snap-On and then there are all the rest.

Craftsman is OK and they will replace it when it breaks which is no help in the field. And the Snap-On probably would not have broken in the first place.

BC MT6, Pkg2, KOs, rack, rails, Warn clevis hitch, tungsten Abrams shifter, I-Way, Baja 480C, 300W maplight, aux backuplights, aux battery w/ separate house power incl 3 12 v sockets, gerrycan rack, 3 OD Scepter MFCs, 2 black Scepter MWCs, 1500 inverter, dead buzzers/DRL, 1 kilowatt incandescent camp light, Iridium
White Rim is offline  
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Forum Superstar
 
MrBigAxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Texas Coast
Posts: 4,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: socket set

Quote:
White Rim previously said: View Post
IMO there is Snap-On and then there are all the rest.

Craftsman is OK and they will replace it when it breaks which is no help in the field. And the Snap-On probably would not have broken in the first place.
I agree, but I could either buy a Snap-On set, or buy a Craftsman set and an FJ Cruiser.
MrBigAxe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:09 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: socket set

Im a maintenance mechanic, and its hard to beat craftsman tools, at work and at home...
voodoocrew is offline  
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Forum Superstar
 
RomaBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maplewood, NJ
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Re: socket set

Quote:
White Rim previously said: View Post
IMO there is Snap-On and then there are all the rest.

Craftsman is OK and they will replace it when it breaks which is no help in the field. And the Snap-On probably would not have broken in the first place.
Snap-On pulled out of the shop where I work...too many broken tools.

RomaBoy is offline  
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Forum Superstar
 
Briman42487's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Ca.
Posts: 5,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: socket set

Quote:
RomaBoy previously said: View Post
Snap-On pulled out of the shop where I work...too many broken tools.
i have never had to return a snap-on tool. but like all things, if you abuse them, they break. a lot of what gets broken in the shops i have worked at is due to laziness. its from people being too lazy to get up and get the right tool for the job. all tools have a purpose, when you use them for something other than that purpose, bad things usually happen.
Briman42487 is offline  
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Forum Veteran
 
Catt22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: socket set

The best socket set I have ever owned was made by S-K Wayne. I don't know the details, but it's no longer S-K Wayne, but just S-K instead. The quality is not what it once was. The S-K tools are very good, but the original versions were superb. I've abused the hell out of them using cheater bars and pounded the sockets onto rounded off nuts with not even a hint of a problem. The design of the tools is just as important as the durability. No pear shaped rachet heads for me. I want the round ones only. I want the sizes stamped boldly on the sockets. Nothing worse than not being able to read the damn things. That's a sure sign of cheap ****.

'07 Sunfusion

AT 4x4, (CQ) Convenience Pkg, (GY) Airbags, (UR) Upgrade #2, (C8) Rock Rails & Skid Plate, (DH) Towing Hitch, (WL) 17" Alloys, (Z2) 5 pc All Weather Mats/Rear Door Storage/First Aid Kit/Passenger Arm Rest, (3T) Roof Rack

MODS: TRD CAI, Spare Tire Cover, Precision Fit Ballistic Nylon Seat Covers, Warn Receiver Shackle, Sylvania Silver Star Ultra Headlights, LED Dome Light conversions, Puck Light Mod, Under Hood LED Lighting, Aux Backup Lights

Catt22 is offline  
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Forum Superstar
 
Briman42487's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Ca.
Posts: 5,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: socket set

Quote:
Catt22 previously said: View Post
The best socket set I have ever owned was made by S-K Wayne. I don't know the details, but it's no longer S-K Wayne, but just S-K instead. The quality is not what it once was. The S-K tools are very good, but the original versions were superb. I've abused the hell out of them using cheater bars and pounded the sockets onto rounded off nuts with not even a hint of a problem. The design of the tools is just as important as the durability. No pear shaped rachet heads for me. I want the round ones only. I want the sizes stamped boldly on the sockets. Nothing worse than not being able to read the damn things. That's a sure sign of cheap ****.
my dad has a lot of s-k. i am not a big fan. he's big onto cornwell tho. they make some nice stuff.
Briman42487 is offline  
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Forum Master
 
White Rim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: socket set

Quote:
MrBigAxe previously said: View Post
I agree, but I could either buy a Snap-On set, or buy a Craftsman set and an FJ Cruiser.
thats true! I got the new Snap-On catalog 1000 the other day and the full-up set was about $39,000 with roll cab, top chest and wall cab for pullerset.

Without the puller kit you can get by for about $33k Then of course you need a $660 butcherbock top for the rollcab and $799 vise.

Its a real good vise though.

BC MT6, Pkg2, KOs, rack, rails, Warn clevis hitch, tungsten Abrams shifter, I-Way, Baja 480C, 300W maplight, aux backuplights, aux battery w/ separate house power incl 3 12 v sockets, gerrycan rack, 3 OD Scepter MFCs, 2 black Scepter MWCs, 1500 inverter, dead buzzers/DRL, 1 kilowatt incandescent camp light, Iridium
White Rim is offline  
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Forum Superstar
 
RomaBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maplewood, NJ
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Re: socket set

Quote:
Briman42487 previously said: View Post
i have never had to return a snap-on tool. but like all things, if you abuse them, they break. a lot of what gets broken in the shops i have worked at is due to laziness. its from people being too lazy to get up and get the right tool for the job. all tools have a purpose, when you use them for something other than that purpose, bad things usually happen.
You hit the nail right on the head there bro...the guys I work with are a bunch of animals. I myself have never had a problem with Snap-On and they're pretty too.

RomaBoy is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion > Tools

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome