plasma - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Tools The discussion of tools related to the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
plasma

ok..i am looking to purchase a plasma cutter for building, and auto projects...i dont know enough to run out and just grab one, so, i came to ask the all knowing forum!!!
looking at cutting no more then 1/2"...ive read good things about the miller brand, but came across what looks to be a good deal on an everlast set up, with mig and plasma..it ran 699 w/ shipping........would like to stay under the 1,000 mark to keep the boss happy(you guys know who SHE is)
any words of wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: plasma

You can't buy a quality plasma cutter that will do 1/2" quality cuts for under $1000.

Don't skimp here.....save your pennies and buy the right one the first time or you'll throw good money after bad.

I'd recommend Thermal Dynamics for a plasma cutter, though I do have the Miller 625. The Miller is a nice machine, but you get more for your money with the innovator of the technology; TD.

Plan to spend $1600 or so for a good plasma that will cut 1/2".

Don't forget you also will need to buy consumables like tips and shields so price those too as they will be a recurring expense.

HTH,
Sean

"I too pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice."-Defender

Building a Trail Rig (IMO): https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-rig-imo.html
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Oh, and check Ram Welding Supplies - Welding Equipment Sales Online, Your Internet Toolbox! or Cyberweld.com - Welding Supplies - Miller, Hobart & More for the best prices I've found on welders/cutters/supplies.

You may have a reasonable local welding shop....in Phx, we don't.

The above menitoned places have free shipping and you don't pay sales tax.....AND, at least here, the prices are several hundred less than local welding shops for the same items.

Sean

"I too pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice."-Defender

Building a Trail Rig (IMO): https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-rig-imo.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

My recommendation would be to stick with your local welding dealer for this one.

I agree with sean k that the type you want will probably set you back more than $1000.00 although your dealer may have a used one that fits your needs.

I have found that having a close relationship with a local fabrication shop is cheaper than buying my own equipment AND it leaves room in my shop for more important stuff.

Doc
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)

thanx guys..your words of wisdom are worth it
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Hindsight previously said: View Post
My recommendation would be to stick with your local welding dealer for this one.

I agree with sean k that the type you want will probably set you back more than $1000.00 although your dealer may have a used one that fits your needs.

I have found that having a close relationship with a local fabrication shop is cheaper than buying my own equipment AND it leaves room in my shop for more important stuff.

Doc

I've found the exact opposite.....a few projects and the welder, plasma, bender, notcher, air compressor, etc....pay for themselves. Not to mention the tools can be used for all kinds of things....not just automotive projects.

Plus, you now have the ability to do it yourself, to your standards and your specifications....something that, IMO, is worth more than any price tag you can put on it.

Sean

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)

that is kinda my thinking, but not sure as to which plasma cutter is the best place to start...also thinking that i should just suck it up, spend the extra money for a little more then what i am currently thinking. that way, i dont end up spending more money down the road..
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Forum Veteran

Not To Change Subject But Im Looking To Buy A Mig Welder ,, One That Welds Sheet Metal To 1/2 Plate,and Resonable Priced . I Have 220 Service In My Garage. Maybe Belly Doc Has A Idea He's Seem To Be Jack Of All Trades

6"PRO COMP Nfab litebar 7kc lites warn8000 winch warn bumpers bushwackers fenders tuffy box 60"hilift jack ats running boards arb fridge/freezer 488 gears arb lockers 2000 watt power inverter cobra 75wx st cb 305/70/18 xtreme mt pro comps pro comp rims 250 amp dual battery set up painless wiring deep cycle yellow top optima battery
tiregate 9" Hid lights Titan gun vault Rapid hitch Viair air system man-a-fre fuel tank allpro transfer skid plate safari snorkle
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

(Thread Starter)

must find him, the man behind the curtin!! belly doc
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 06:33 PM

I have done 2 group buys for local guys here in Ontario on plasma cut 50 Dual voltage
The first was in the Spring and the second is actually due to arrive around the 25th. Granted i did these group buys for cost about $ 345 .00 usd but the feedback and my own observations on these little lunchbox plasmas have been nothing but good ( even from a couple of welding shops that use much higher priced equipment ) they make a really clean cut on 1/2" using the 220V . ( i found the 110v setting only good for 1/4" ) and it severs 5/8" with ease so you can find some decent machines at reasonable prices.

the 3in 1 machines that will be arriving use a cut 60 torch and the tig and stick . the output is up on this new model to 200amps
I have no experience with this machine as the last group buy where the 3 in 1 418 ( 4 meaning 40 cut 18 meaning 180 amp output )
but again the feedback i have from them is very positive. I know a lot of guys around here are looking forward to putting them through their paces to see how they perform

Cheers.

Last edited by Titan Winch; 09-21-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion > Tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in