SAE+Metric Sokets/Ratchets: recs? - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Tools The discussion of tools related to the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Re: SAE+Metric Sokets/Ratchets: recs?

I was at a local flea market here, talking with a guy selling snap on and matco, he had a 1/4" drive set probably 13 pieces in the case, his line was "I sell this all day long for $550.00, I'll take $250.00 here"! this was a snap on set, I don't mind paying for quality but that is ridiculous! What would have been 49 or 59 from sears to 250 for snap on?

08 Brick

TLCA# 20417
4WD& Armrest w/ no other factory upgrades! Mods. FJ Newb SCUBA Mod, LED console lights, Sirius stereo, Garage opener mod, Additional 12v outlets, Cobra 75 CB/Bandi mount w/3'firestick. AllPro rear Lower Control Links and rear shock guards, Aero Flow Headlight Covers, Manually controlled E Locker, Iron Man lift & ASFIR Skids. Shrockworks custom sliders and Front bumper, Aux fuel tank. Custom A-Pillars, Viair On-Board Air system

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: SAE+Metric Sokets/Ratchets: recs?

I have a lot of Snap On, Matco, etc. tools, but unless you work at a place where the truck comes around all the time, and you have a relationship with the guy (and even then) its not worth it to drop that kind of money on tools.

When I had a different career, the Snap On guy was great, he would sharpen gasket scrapers, meet me the night before or early in the morning to change/pick up tools. It could just be that he was a Canadian, who knows, but he was great at his job.

Now, I have a new career and it is a PITA to get Snap On guy to call you back let alone exchange tools.

If you need a specialty tool or a tool that one of the companies do well, go to one of the ' professional tool companies'. For the most part just get your tools from Sears Craftsman in the USA or Sears Craftsman or Canadian Tire in Canada. The exchange of tools is much easier, I think the will let you exchange 'because you didn't want to clean your tools', and the stores are everywhere. I have done every kind of modification to Craftsman tools (eg. grinding sockets and wrenches to be shallower, thinner, thin walled, heated and bent screwdrivers and wrenches, used screwdrivers as chisels and pry bars and used non impact sockets on impact wrenches ( sometimes with reducers from 3/4" to 1/4") and still exchanged them at Sears or Canadian Tire.

Just my .02 cents.

Tom

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion > Tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in