Motor Trend.............. - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Toyota FJ Cruiser News Articles If you see the Toyota FJ Cruiser featured in a news article, tell us about it here! Make sure to provide a link to the news article as well.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Texican

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Motor Trend..............

Quote:
The others make minimal use of their crawler gears and fancy electronics (like brake-assisted A-TRAC in the FJ) and still make quick work of the hill; braggadocio ensues.
Quote:
I rotate through the Xterra, then the Jeep, then the FJ. All low ranges and crawl gears are engaged, all dash lights are on -- diff lock, A-TRAC, you name it -- yet despite the rough terrain, none put a tire wrong during the slow and serious climbing.
So it does have atleast ATRAC...

Quote:
The Jeep Rubicon suffers two damaged rear struts, which are promptly removed -- despite the 200-mile drive mile home -- and the Toyota FJ gets a bent front quarter-panel, which causes some interference when opening the front passenger-side door. Maybe this makes sense, since these are the two fun-buggies on the sand.
They have FENDER BULGES!

Quote:
On paper, the Toyota FJ Cruiser is tough to beat. It's the most affordable, one of the best at the track, and returns the best fuel economy of the body-on-frame bunch: 15.5 mpg. Behind the wheel, it's smooth on the road and unstoppable off of it. It's a serious off-roader, but one marred by serious packaging flaws. Flip-out rear doors make second-row seat-loading difficult in tight situations.

"Perhaps the smoothest combination of software and traditional mechanicals to get the most-and most efficient-traction to the right wheel," says Williams. "It's handled everything we've thrown at it, but it's difficult to reconcile the interior and exterior designs. Looks great, but it's not functional. Visibility is restricted from almost every seat." After all, spotters are great when you're out on the trail, but you shouldn't need them in the Home Depot parking lot.
Quote:
Great value, outsanding track performance, and excellent manners on road and off. Too bad butch styling hinders visibility and practicality.
BUTCH STYLING!?!?! OMFG you little whiny girls! Get your panties out of your crack and let some real men test the dayum trucks next time!

Nice pic before the FJ got its bulges though!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming

Thanks for the link to the article Lonelydriver. Read through it and it really exposed how silly the comparo was. FJ was essentially put down because of styling. Everything else was great, but the styling put it in 3rd place. That contradicts what was said in the video. They also mentioned the sluice box have "Lazy Boy" sized boulders... Oh please, those are are little rocks.

The Jeep is ahead of the FJ despite having blown out 2 shocks at the sand dunes. The only vehicle with blown shocks and that doesn't raise a red flag?

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar

Last edited by Fjamming; 07-28-2008 at 03:59 PM.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hey, at least the FJ beat the H3......

-Mark

08' Black Diamond FJ

View my build
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post1145216
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
sephcm previously said: View Post
THe LR comes in last place because it has street tires, the Jeep gets slapped because of off-road tires? I thought car tests were done with similarly equipped models? Maybe a 4Runner would have been a better match for an Xterra?
The LR came in last because it doesn't have a lo-range transfer case. The FJ was equipped w/ a-trac and a locker. The xterra similarly has abls and a locker. I think it was a pretty good comparison.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 PM

I looked it.
REMAND!
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to SKINUM

I've saw way to many of these comparisons. Seems like the editors just flip a coin and pick a different winner each time.

It's not worth doing if you can't drop some f-bombs along the way!

THE BUILD OF SKINUM CLICK HERE TO VIEW
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Forum Veteran

ADVERTISING...

The other problem is a non-experienced off road driver testing off road vehicles. Has anyone seen an XTerra off road?

Why am I even worried about what they think? I already have "my FJC." (In the tune of Dier Straits)

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. Arthur C. Clarke

'07 Titanium, 4X4 AT, Alloy Wheels, Upgrade #2.
OME 3" Heavy
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to SKINUM

Quote:
CommGuru previously said: View Post
ADVERTISING...

The other problem is a non-experienced off road driver testing off road vehicles. Has anyone seen an XTerra off road?

Why am I even worried about what they think? I already have "my FJC." (In the tune of Dier Straits)
Yea, they do pretty well.

It's not worth doing if you can't drop some f-bombs along the way!

THE BUILD OF SKINUM CLICK HERE TO VIEW
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
CommGuru previously said: View Post
Has anyone seen an XTerra off road?
Yep. In then end, another Xterra was in the initial running for me... an Offroad edition. But while the bluetooth integration and "button-push" 4-wheel drive was decent eye candy, the overall feel was wrong for me and the Rockford Fosgate stereo didn't hold a candle to the FJammer.

I didn't like the bulgy, boxy look, and it came with a couple of off-road drivetrain extras, but with what I would consider road tires. I took it for a drive - lol - even a little off-road through a giant construction dirt pit near the dealership - (Shhhh, they dun know) - I wasn't impressed really - kinda sloppy handling in my inexperienced newbie opinion.

I am led by instinct, and if it had come down to my current 2004 Xterra at the time and the new 2008 one, I would have kept my '04. Thankfully, the FJ was simply 'right' - Luna was in the showroom, and the rest is history.

My Xterra days are over and my license plate "Wolfs X" is soon to be replaced with "Wolfs FJ."

Howls,
FJ Wolf

Wind in your fur and muzzle to the moon...
Listening to: http://www.khowl.fm
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
FJ Wolf previously said: View Post
I am led by instinct, and if it had come down to my current 2004 Xterra at the time and the new 2008 one, I would have kept my '04. Thankfully, the FJ was simply 'right' - Luna was in the showroom, and the rest is history.

My Xterra days are over and my license plate "Wolfs X" is soon to be replaced with "Wolfs FJ."

Howls,
FJ Wolf
That is a great recap. I have gone out with the others in TOGA with an X. I wasn't impressed, it may have been the driver or the vehicle. That is the only time. Thank you and to SKINUM for reminding me that I too have seen "one."

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. Arthur C. Clarke

'07 Titanium, 4X4 AT, Alloy Wheels, Upgrade #2.
OME 3" Heavy

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Toyota FJ Cruiser News Articles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in