Toyota Critic Admits Report Funding Came From Firms Suing Toyota - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Toyota Critic Admits Report Funding Came From Firms Suing Toyota

During questioning at the House Committee's investigation into Toyota's ongoing recall crisis, safety advocate group Safety Research & Strategies founder Sean Kane admitted that his group is hardly an unbiased participant. In fact, Kane admitted that a recent report outlining Toyota's faults was funded by five different law firms, all of which are currently engaged in litigation with Toyota.

The report clearly states that Toyota has not completely identified the cause of unintended acceleration, had limited its investigation into the matter and then issued the floor mat recall as a least expensive action. It also claims that the issue of unintended acceleration cannot be solved by either replacing the floor mats or by replacing or fixing the mechanical pedal mechanism.

The credibility of the report may now be called into question, considering the source of the funding behind it.

In a prepared statement Toyota President Jim Lentz reiterated Toyota's continued stand that the issue with its many recalled Toyota models is mechanical and not electronic. Lentz commented that Toyota hired Exponent, a top engineering and scientific consulting firm, to examine its electronic throttle system to see if there were any issues. Toyota gave Exponent an unlimited budget and no electronic problem was found.

More: Toyota Critic Safety Research & Strategies Founder Admits Report Funding Came From Firms Suing Toyota on AutoGuide.com

Find additional recall information at the AutoGuide Toyota Recall News Hub here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Toyota Critic Admits Report Funding Came From Firms Suing Toyota

deleted.

-Mark

08' Black Diamond FJ

View my build
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post1145216

Last edited by DoWork; 02-23-2010 at 01:27 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Re: Toyota Critic Admits Report Funding Came From Firms Suing Toyota

I watched the representative from Detroit grill the Toyota USA COO. It was hilarious...especially since he asked the COO if he thought the US Governments stake in GM & Chrysler would prevent an objective assesment of Toyota's situtation. I'm sure Toyota's COO's response of I believe the Government is being fair will be all over the papers in Michingan tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess nobody can be trusted?

Sort of like when some TV program put pyrotechnics in a GM truck to "prove" that the gas tanks caught fire on impact.....

Looks like this is going to drag on forever. I'm not even sure I believe the deal with the CHP officer not being able to control a car with the gas pedal stuck. There are so many ways out of that situation that you have to wonder which he tried or why he didn't.

This revelation about a biased report is going to really confuse the issue. I wonder how many of the headlines were based on the report?

The plot sickens....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to FJ-Fred
Re: I guess nobody can be trusted?

Quote:
ca1ic0cat previously said: View Post
Sort of like when some TV program put pyrotechnics in a GM truck to "prove" that the gas tanks caught fire on impact.....

Looks like this is going to drag on forever. I'm not even sure I believe the deal with the CHP officer not being able to control a car with the gas pedal stuck. There are so many ways out of that situation that you have to wonder which he tried or why he didn't.

This revelation about a biased report is going to really confuse the issue. I wonder how many of the headlines were based on the report?

The plot sickens....
Not passing judgement because the jury is still out on this one. BUT.... if that cop crashed the way it's being said then he is as responsible as anyone else for killing his family. You can ALWAYS turn the key off, or slam it into park or neutral, or stand on the brakes until you melt the rotors. There ARE ways to stop a car even if the gas pedal was WELDED to the floor and he (if ANYONE) should know this. He's a highway cop for Godsakes!
To top it off, it's said that before this happened he actually pulled over because the motor was "surging", couldn't find a problem and got BACK on the road!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Forums Site Functions > Toyota FJ Cruiser News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in