Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

FJ Cruiser on the Rubicon Trail - Its Official!

26K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  HunkerDown 
#1 · (Edited)

Well, there was some speculation as to wether the photos of the FJ Cruiser taking on the Rubicon Trail were merely publicity photos or perhaps even photoshopped (Please read This Thread for reference). However, this document from Toyota contains quotes from Bill Burke @ 4-Wheeling America:

18 miles. 3 days. 1 goal. Conquering the Rubicon Trail.

Knowing what I know about Toyota's integrity for building durable and trailworthy off-road vehicles, I was still a bit skeptical taking a new, unproven and bone stock vehicle over one of America's toughest 4WD routes. I was sure the new FJ would perform well, I just wasn't sure it would be able to take the "lumps" that the Rubicon would deliver! I was worried we'd be stranded with lots of field repair and recovery to get us off the trail. However, in the end my fears proved unjustified, as the FJ performed well beyond my expectations! We stacked a few rocks along the way, strapped a couple of times and used the high-lift jack once or twice, but the FJ literally walked through the Rubicon. The rear locker in combination with the traction control and real transfer case made the FJ easier to drive, and more capable when it came to overcoming tough rocks, climbs and muddy sections with ease.

The new FJ has all the attributes and heritage of the proven Land Cruiser line -- strong skid plate protection; strong, flexible and supporting suspension; and a reliable and efficient engine and drivetrain. Attention to the details of the approach, departure, and break-over angles follow the tradition of the FJ-40 line.

I would own one of these rigs!

Regards,

Bill Burke, 4-Wheeling America LLC

scans of the document are attached, click images for full size goodness.

See less See more
#6 ·
The only thing Toyota has left to decide on the FJ is what the texture of the interior plastic panels is going to be. The FJ they took on Rubicon is the same stocker that we will be able to buy, it will just be more finished on the inside.

#7 ·
Percy said:
What's TLCA?
Toyota Land Cruiser Association

www.tlca.org

They put out a magazine every two months, Toyota Trails. I believe this trip will be exclusively in that magazine.

#8 ·
Looked like a cool site and the story and pictures were good but when it said to go to the ecommerce site and click membership the link took me to a warning that that part of the site is not up and running just yet - summer 2005 - so, how does one who does not own a cruiser yet become a member?

#9 ·
The name is a hold over from the days when Land Cruisers were the only 4x4 toyota on the road, membership is open to any toyota 4x4 owner.

#11 ·
they had the video (or portions of it, anybody who was there know?) playing at SEMA. you can find pics on the autospies site. supposidly it will be released on the website sometime, but who knows when that will be. If we are lucky maybe they will make it a DVD and send one to everyone on the FJ Cruiser mailing list.

#12 ·
I emailed Toyota asking what the gear ratios on the 6-speed would be and if they are planning on uploading the FJ's rubicon video.

The reply I got stated: "Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your interest in the FJ Cruiser.

We apologize; we have not yet announced gear ratios, and do not have a means by which to forward the video.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200511140393. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience"

Which, if you ask me, is just WEAK!

#13 ·
what a rip off man. whatever happened to the outstanding customer service theory? I guess we will just have to wait till the thing comes out.

#14 ·
Bill Burke is an editor here at 4WD Toyota Owner. Look for coverage of the FJ Cruiser on the Con in our next issue (Jan/Feb)--actually, it's in our current issue, too.

We'll be driving the FJ three times in the next three weeks. Should be awesome--the truck is great off-road. Not that I wouldn't mind a special version with a solid axle!

Cheers!

Dave

#15 ·
Hey dave,

What are the odds we will be getting monthly issues pretty soon? Ive already read both my issues several times cover to cover and this waiting two months stuff has got to go!

Seriously, i love the rag, good to see nothing but toyotas finally.

#16 ·
12get12 said:
It would be awesome if there's video captures of the FJ Cruisers' Rubicon Trek.
I emailed Toyota about releasing that video and they said that at this point, they have NO WAY to distribute it...

Which can only mean that they have worn out their web-gurus building the heritage site.

#19 ·
mpd8488 said:
A solid axle swap would make a great project for you magazine that would get some attention. You don't see a lot of rags doing extensive fabricating on brand new vehicles. ;)
they are currently covering the guys at Demello off-road who are in the middle of SASing a 05 Tacoma double cab...

#20 ·
4WD Toyota Owner Magazine said:
Bill Burke is an editor here at 4WD Toyota Owner. Look for coverage of the FJ Cruiser on the Con in our next issue (Jan/Feb)--actually, it's in our current issue, too.

We'll be driving the FJ three times in the next three weeks. Should be awesome--the truck is great off-road. Not that I wouldn't mind a special version with a solid axle!

Cheers!

Dave
Dave, lucky you for the opportunity to drive the FJ!

Can you give me your thoughts on leg room in the FJ, say compared to the 06 4Runner or the 05 Tacoma? Thanks pal, and have fun with the new toy. :)

#21 ·
Heya all!

Topless4Runner, we will be going to monthly asap---it's our #1 question! As for a real timetable, I just can't be certain yet. Too many variables, but it IS a major priority! And thanks for the support at Planetkaizen btw. We never said we were the ONLY all Toyota mag, but we are definitely the only all Yota mag on news stands and in stores (in the US).

LRinDallas,

Legroom is quite good up front. In back, of course, those with giraffe legs will be a little squeezed, but overall I'd call it very well laid out ergonomically.

We will have outstanding FJ Cruiser coverage in the next issue of 4WD Toyota Owner (the Jan/Feb issue). Cheers!

Dave

#22 · (Edited)
4WD Toyota Owner Magazine said:
Was the Rubicon trip completed with an automatic or manual version? What can you cay about the transmission's function?

Also, has Toyota designed the FJ Cruiser to be towed? (manual? / automatic?)

Thanks, HunkerDown (new member today!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.