Toyota Unintended Acceleration Is B.S., Says NHTSA And DOT; Driver Error Blamed - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Toyota Unintended Acceleration Is B.S., Says NHTSA And DOT; Driver Error Blamed

Score one for the good guys. While Toyota takes a lot of flack for having a product line that's geared more towards the common people than enthusiasts, most decent folk knew that the scandal regarding Toyota's unintended acceleration accusations was largely a combination of schadenfreude and political motivated rhetoric. People love to see the big guy take a fall, and this was no exception.

Now, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has analyzed vehicle data and their findings are consistent, showing that at the time of the incidents, the throttle was wide open while the brakes were not applied. This suggests that drivers mis-applied the pedals. Only one case, a fatal crashing involving a runaway Lexus ES350, where the throttle became stuck because of an improperly designed floormat. Toyota immediately issued a recall for the problem.

More: BREAKING: Toyota Unintended Acceleration Is B.S., According To NHTSA And D.O.T., Driver Error Blamed on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Toyota Unintended Acceleration Is B.S., Says NHTSA And DOT; Driver Error Blamed

just like the fender problems, throwout bearings,rear ends and some say brakes ..........wonder how much that report cost them!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Forum Veteran

Re: Toyota Unintended Acceleration Is B.S., Says NHTSA And DOT; Driver Error Blamed

Quote:
gotink previously said: View Post
just like the fender problems, throwout bearings,rear ends and some say brakes ..........wonder how much that report cost them!!!!!!!!!!!!
None of which NHTSA has inspected, so not really "just like" to be honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Didn't that Lexus have 4 sets of floor mats stacked on top of each other? Can't blame Toyota for that.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Athena Send a message via MSN to Athena Send a message via Yahoo to Athena

Yep

Intergalactic Planetary Invader of FJ Interwebz ~ EVIL TRUNK MONKEY

silly boy, gonna make you cry

^^^click it.. you know you wanna

"... I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ..."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Hey now that the Gub has bailed out two of the big 3 motor co. They have to figure how to help them regain market share... so they can pay back all that MONEY...

What better way to slam the big Dog on the block... Try and scare the public into false safety concerns! What's sad is there will be many real safety concerns that will be swept under the carpet with these new american autos! When they do surface lets see what damage control will be put into place.

I really want our companies here in the U.S.A. to compete and succeed...but after thirty yrs of really ****ty junk that I bought only because I was loyal...That Don't Cut It No More!

Fabtech 6" 20'BBS
Cooper STT 37" M/T,2:00 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy All pro M-1 bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill,Yukon4:56
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Garage

Here's my sarcastic response to the sticking gas peddle/brake fiasco

"The Rock"
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...8490-rock.html

WikidfJ Partially retired
Wikid link
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Forum Master

Accelerator problem? MY FOOT! Still need to make that into a bumper sticker for Toyota owners...

Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around every once in a while.... you miss it.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...bumblebee.html
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...r-2-build.html
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Athena Send a message via MSN to Athena Send a message via Yahoo to Athena

Ford's going through a huge major recall right now... anybody heard of it? I'm guessing unlikely and typical.

"... I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ..."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

here it is... not an accelleration problem... where you could at least turn the vehicle off or pull the e-brake..but THOUSANDS of cars that CANT STOP!!

Chrysler, Ford RECALL 2010: Thousands Of Vehicles Recalled

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Forums Site Functions > Toyota FJ Cruiser News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in