post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Sockless Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
July Member of the Month: FJ_Marine

Congratulations to David John, aka FJ_Marine: The July member of the month here on FJCruiserForums!!

For the interview with Muddygrrl and more photos, follow this link FJ_Marine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Sockless Superstar

(Thread Starter)
Re: July Member of the Month: FJ_Marine

Congratulations to David John, aka FJ_Marine: The July member of the month here on FJCruiserForums!!

Muddygrrl What are your future plans for the FJ?

FJ_Marine Try not to completely destroy it before the last payment is made. Then push it, pull it or carry it in for a new one, lol. Between now and then, hopefully find the time to use it for my intended purpose; exploring.

Muddygrrl What will your FJ look like years from now?

FJ_Marine There are a couple of what I would call “Gold Standard” rigs on this site that show the direction I want to go. Mike (Shadow-Warrior) and Larry (Uphill) are 2 that stand out to me. Same concept with maybe different parts is how I see mine looking years from now.

MG What will you look back on and remember most?

FJM I’ll assume this pertains to the FJ world part of my life. I bought my FJ in Aug of last year and was kinda lurking on here as a guest. After I bought it I became a full fledged member. Within days of officially signing on I heard about an event right here in wonderful Dyersburg, TN. I was invited out and met some really great folks and it has been downhill ever since.

MG What has the forum done for you and what can the forum learn from you?

FJM Besides the obvious of teaching me a lot about the FJ and meeting some great people. It has provided me with the feeling that no matter where my life or career may take me. Wherever I may call home next, there will be someone close by that I can honestly call a friend. Damn you Mo for making me get all sappy and crap, there I feel better. As far as learning from me…………I tell my young Marines all the time that they will learn from all leaders, good and bad. If they do or say something that you agree with then use that in creating your own leadership style. If they do or say something you don’t agree with then you have learned how you don’t want to do something in the future. You have to develop your own leadership style, something or someone you are comfortable doing or being. So, if I do or say something you agree with I hope you learned something. If you don’t agree, I hope you learned how not to do something, lol. I will leave you with one more piece of advice. I made mention of this in a thread somewhere. I had an old crusty Master Sergeant I worked for at my very first duty station. The day I got promoted to Corporal which is a Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) he pulled me aside and told me “If you plan on making it in this gun club, you have to have thick skin and broad shoulders”. That one sentence has helped me through some of the toughest times in my life and career.

MG What is the most unusual thing about you?

FJM Absolutely nothing, I’m perfect! This question would probably be best answered by those who know me well. So if you’re up to it, take your best shot!

MG What was the best day of your life?

FJM Let’s see…….I’m married and have 3 kids, so………I would have to say……. The day I decided to become a Marine. Now before all the ladies on here form a mob to crucify me, let me explain. I’m originally from Detroit and my wife is from Memphis. Had I not become a Marine I would never have met her and would not have the 3 great kids we have together. Who knows where I would be now. For that matter, every last one of you on this forum should be grateful because I might not have bought the FJ and then none of you would have been graced with my presence.

MG Where or what is your most desired adventure/excursion?

FJM I’ll start with the standard answers: Alaska, Australia, Mexico, etc. Before I do any of that there is 1 thing I want to accomplish first. After I retire from active duty I am planning to take some time for myself. My goal is to solo hike the entire Appalachian Trail with the bare essentials. Almost like a “Man vs Wild” type thing.

MG What is your favorite trail/trip?

FJM There is a 2 track that runs through the woods on my Grandpa’s property in Petoskey, MI. Whenever I am there to visit I take his 48 Ford tractor with the farm trailer and give all the little ones a ride through the woods. This is the trail that I first learned how to wheel on. My Uncle (who has since passed) let me drive his CJ-5 all over this trail when I was about 12.

MG What is your favorite mod to date?

FJM XM Radio. I love country music but the country station to anything else ratio here is killing me; I also need my ESPN radio. Plus I cant imagine a drive to work without my Lex and Terry!!

MG What mod would you not do again?

FJM I bought my FJ used and it had a brush guard and predator bars already on it. I removed the brush guard as soon as I could. Maybe the removal belongs in my favorite mod spot, lol. Step bars are next!

MG What does your FJ do for you? How has it affected your life?

FJM It puts a smile on my face. This allowed me to decrease my Zoloft from 100mg to 50mg’s a day. Any more questions because this interrogation is starting to stress me out!!

MG What other recreation do you enjoy?

FJM I barely have enough time right now to enjoy this one let alone any others, lol. Other recreations revolve around this one though like camping, hiking, drinking beer (is that a recreation?). I think you get the point……..

MG Who are you in real life?

FJM I had no idea there was a fake life……….but I am no different in “real” life. In case this question was intended for me to give a Bio, here it goes. In case no one noticed, I am a United States Marine, active duty for what will be 17 years this August. I am currently working the mean streets of rural west TN as a recruiter. Prior to that I am an Air Traffic Control Radar Technician. I am married and we will be celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary in Aug. We have 3 children, 2 girls (15 and 12) and a 9 year old son. Oh yeah, 2 dogs and a snake live under our roof too.

MG Why did you buy your FJ?

FJM Always been a huge fan of the old FJ40’s and when I saw the concept it was all over. I had to have one!

MG How do you expect your mods to benefit you?

FJM Not a whole lot of mods to this date but with the mods I have planned I hope this will enable me to see parts of this country/world that are off the beaten path.

MG What is your favorite music? What CD(s) are in your player right now?

FJM Depends on the mood I’m in, I enjoy a wide variety of music. I have 4 MP3 disks that contain all kinds of random music.

MG Did you have a previous vehicle that was as fun as your FJ?

FJM 1985 Mustang GT, man I loved that car. I bought it in 89 for 5K cash and poured another 2-3K into it over the next couple of years.

MG What is your favorite food?

FJM If I had to pick just one, it would be Lasagna. I love pasta, pasta is good!

MG How & why do you participate on the forum?

FJM I make my opinions known, I help when I can, but most of the time I’m just sucking up bandwidth.

MG I, state your name….

FJM Do solemnly swear to support and defend the Constitution of……oh wait……wrong oath.

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage

Congrats, Gunny. Nice interview. Great to have you as a member here!

-Matt
TLCA #20400
2008 AT 4x4 Voodoo Blue FJ with just enough trail pin-striping

"History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier." -Colin Powell

"I do not love the sword for it's brightness or the arrow for it's swiftness. I love only that which they defend." -Faramir from The Lord Of The Rings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Congrats Dave well deserved.

Back to back Member's of the Month from Tennessee

Terry

2007 FJ Cruiser TRD SE - SOLD
2000 Land Cruiser UZJ100 The Wife's - SOLD
20?? FJ Cruiser - Coming Soon
2008 4 Runner Limited - Let the modding begin

My TRD Build Up

Have you tried FIREFOX with AdBlocker +
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Forum Superstar

Congratulations Dave -

-

-

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3241/3011331757_53916c3e58_o.gif

Vince / volhoo

Happy trails...

My Build: - now with LINKS to all my OFF-ROAD ADVENTURES on the 1st post!
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...brigadier.html

FJ Crew:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/FJ-Crew/129320947238836

My Online Portfolio:
http://www.vincepetersondesign.com

-
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Forum Superstar

Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTennesseeSquire

Congrats Dave!!!

-Stacey-

The enlightenment begins where the pavement ends.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to WILSON

Congrats Dave! That makes 2 member of month folks that I have had the pleasure of meeting and wheeling with.
Thank you for your service to our country.

Hey...I took this pic
Quote:
Dragon previously said: View Post

Back in the Toyota family...4Runner TRD Pro Edition
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

That was a great article. I enjoyed reading it, learning a bit more about you and about your plans for the future.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Formerly FJ_Marine

Garage

Thanks everyone!

I feel honored to be selected considering the great bunch of people who are members here.

Terry - Yup, looks like Tennessee is representing in "da house"

Dave
1984 FJ60

[O]=TOYOTA=[O]

^^^ CLICK TO SEE MY 1984 FJ60 PROJECT ^^^
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Congrats man! You deserve the recognition.

Sean

"I too pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice."-Defender

Building a Trail Rig (IMO): https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-rig-imo.html

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Forums Site Functions > Toyota FJ Cruiser News

Tags
2008 , fj_marine , july , member of the month

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in