Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Member of the Month August 2017: Sanderhawk

August 2017 Member of the Month: Sanderhawk

offroad pics 2 092

We'd like to congratulate Sanderhawk - Steve for being selected as the August 2017 Member of the Month!

Hayden: Tell us a bit about yourself (age, family, school/job, hobbies, where are you from, how long you’ve lived where, etc.)[Basically anything you’re comfortable sharing as if you were meeting someone new for the first time]?

Steve: Would like to start out by saying how cool is this? Never thought I would ever be member of the month so this is truly cool. I`m 50 years old i`ve been married to my beautiful wife for 31 years and I have 2 sons and a daughter all in their mid to upper twenties. I lived in Michigan as a kid and moved to California when I was 14. Lived in the OC for about 30 years and now live in the So Cal Mountains. I like to tell everyone I live above the clouds.

offroad pics 109

Hayden: How/when were you first introduced to the forum and what made you decide to join?

Steve: I joined the forum in 2008 about 1 ½ years after I bought the FJ. I was at the gas station and a group of FJs showed up and of course we all got to talking and they were the ones that told me there was a forum for FJs. I had to join just to talk to others that also owned the most awesome vehicle on the planet.

Hayden: Is the FJ Cruiser your first off-road vehicle? If not, what was your/the first vehicle you took wheeling? And what led you to eventually owning an FJ?

Steve: The FJ is my first offroad vehicle . I could kick myself in the butt for not owning a 4WD my whole life. Its amazing the places you can go with this thing. I can go explore places where 99% of everybody else can`t. Funny story about how I ended up owning an FJ. I was actually sitting in my Mazda Protégé eating lunch when this big blue thing parked next to me. I`m thinking to my self what is that thing…. it looks really cool. I noticed it was a Toyota. I called my wife and told her I was going to stop at Toyota on the way home to see what it was. Needless to say I traded in the Mazda that night and drove my FJ home that was in August of 2006! Its my forever truck and i`ll have it for life.

Hayden: What modification is your favorite or is the most worth the money/time/effort that you’d recommend it to someone else?

Steve: I would say that my All Pro front and rear steel bumpers are my favorite mod. They were the first I got because I was never a fan of the plastic bumpers that came on the FJ. I would say my second favorite would be the Kings with resis on all four corners it makes for a nice ride.

Hayden: What upgrade is your least favorite, or what modification would you do differently if you had to do it over again?

Steve: I don't have to many mods I didn't like but my least favorite would have to be wheel spacers I had them, didn't like them, and then sold them. They made the FJ stance look nice but once you drive your vehicle for a long time you know where your wheels are on the ground and when I put the wheel spacers on that changed their position and I knocked the wheels out of alignment several times because the wheels were in a different position.

IMG_0663

Hayden: Has anyone on the forum inspired your build or has been a go-to resource for you?

Steve: I don`t have anyone in particular that inspired me but like everyone else on here I probly have stolen…..I mean barrowed ideas from a lot of different rigs. This forum has so many different ideas

Hayden: Where all have you been with your FJC? What trail/park/location is your favorite?

Steve:Calico is my very favorite place to go. I can go shooting, offroading and mine exploring all in the same place.

IMG_0634

IMG_0609

Cleghorn is another favorite of mine and is actually only about 5 miles from my house.

offroad pics 053

offroad pics 003

Hayden: What trail/park/location that you have not been to yet would you like to visit?

Steve: Wow I would love to go to Moab and Summit some year.

Hayden: What is your local FJ Cruiser community like? Do you have many get-togethers, trail runs, or wrenching days where you’re located?

Steve: I think we have a pretty good group here in So Cal. I don`t get to hook up with them a lot due to work but there is always trail runs going on around here. I have a couple friends that are very local to me and we get together and go explore the many little trails that are around my house.

Hayden: What has been the most memorable experience with your FJ Cruiser?

Steve: Hands down this is the most memorable in the FJ

offroad pics 004

I did this being to cautious if you can believe it. I got to a ledge that was about a 3 to 4 foot drop and I thought there was noway I could drive down it. So decided to try and back out….I was driving on a V notch trail and the left side wheels slid down the hill and over I went. After it laid there for about and hour I decided to see if it started and it did. I cranked the wheels hard to the left and hit the gas. It fell back over on the wheels. I ended up having to drive down that 3 to 4 foot ledge which turned out not to be so bad. Man that was a lot of pucker factor for one trail. It did however make my truck the most fun vehicle I have ever had since I didn`t worry about scratches anymore.

Hayden: What has the FJCruiserForums done for you and what do you feel you contribute to the forum the most?

Steve:The forum has taught me many things. There are a lot of good people here. I have gotten advice on how to fix things as well as I feel I have helped a lot of folks with problems they might be having.

Hayden: What final advice do you have for someone new to the FJ Cruiser or the Forum?

Steve:I would tell a new person that your stock FJ is way more capable than you think. Don`t be in a hurry to do maximum mods you`ll get them soon enough. When its time for mods ask advice but get WHAT YOU WANT. You don`t have to have the most expencive parts known to mankind. More important than mods is keep up with your maintenance. Do it all on time and your FJ will last a long long time. This is my baby as it looks today.

100_1361

Thanks for thinking of me for member of the month Its a really cool honor and I wont ever forget it… Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Member of the Month August 2017: Sanderhawk

Congrats Steve! A wonderful read and very deserving forum member!

Don't forget to contact IndyFJCruisers about your recognition grille badge!

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)

Congrats Steve,

Santiago Peak Guide to Member of the Month, what's next?
FJX2000 and Irving Zisman like this.

KJ6FJC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:01 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)

Congratulations Steve!

a.k.a. Monching
w/ Lakandula (2014 TTUE)

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage

Good story,Nice FJ, congratulations!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Garage

Well deserved! Congrats!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)

Wonderful story, congrats!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:52 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Garage
Question Re: Member of the Month August 2017: Sanderhawk

Well done @Sanderhawk ! I knew I've seen pictures of your FJ somewhere. Nice to tie together the connection
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Admin

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Garage

Congrats!

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Forums Site Functions > Toyota FJ Cruiser News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in