20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Member of the Month August 2019: norm356!!!

Congrats Norm. Great write up. Just incase you ever hear of the FJ coming back to the US give the info. Maybe Toyota would kick you down a bonus if you got 10 to 20K worth the FJs presold

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage

Congrats bud, Thanks for all of your advice.

Dec 2017 member of the month
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)

Thanks everyone!

"Any posts/links/advice to your SPOTLESS engine bay? Wow! ...or the rustproofing you've already done (I'm assuming) on your truck?"

Here are a few more photos, I have got to admit though that I didn't do that cleanup myself. A service station down the road is owned by a really friendly Armenian (and his shop is like the UN, workers from Jordan, Ukraine, Russia and I think even America) who talked me into letting his guys do the job. My main request was: no shiny "treatments" to my dashboard (I should have said, "anywhere", because they must have used a gallon of the stuff on my floor mats). My other request was: get off as much of the white corrosion / crust off of the aluminum engine as you can. They went after it with brass wire brushes and it looks great.

I suspect that a previous owner had used some really caustic engine cleaner or something, because I was frankly worried about the condition of the cast aluminum when I got it. But after finally getting it a very thorough wire brushing it looks like healthy and clean again.

For the rustproofing, you'll have to search the forum for the many threads I've posted on it over the years. Way too much for me to repeat here. Key points: scrape/scrub/wire brush off as much red rust as you can, clean the surface very well with solvent to remove all wax/oil and then apply a phosphate rinse to convert any remaining iron oxide to iron phosphate and then go over that with a good quality black paint. Once that all dries, go over that with a good quality undercoating, and then over that with a body wax (especially inside of the suspension arms/structure/frame). Then, apply Fluid Film every fall (it works well, and is thin enough to get into tight spaces, but also tends to rinse/wash off over time).

Also, remove each of the door trims and the rear quarter trim and spray body wax/fluid film into those cavities, down near the bottom hem flange. When done make sure all drain holes are still open to let water out. Each fall, with a long straw, spray a little more FF up into those doors, and also into the rockers via the drain holes at the bottom along the pinch flange.

Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5728.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	870.0 KB
ID:	1089166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5729.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	874.1 KB
ID:	1089168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5731.jpg
Size:	832.3 KB
ID:	1089170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5730.jpg
Size:	827.8 KB
ID:	1089172  
CRAW, FJX2000, ZerosFJ and 2 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:03 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Congratulations Norm. Well deserved. Your knowledge and input is always very welcome. I love the pics of the classics!

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Garage

'Grats @norm356 ! Well worth getting to know you. That was a fun read. You're an asset to the community with your Toyota facts and positive words for a group that's always changing.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:00 AM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)

End Defense Free Zones. 89% of Mass Shootings occur in "Gun Free Zones"

oderint dum metuant

トヨタ
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:36 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)

Norm, if this is high-jacking your thread I'm sorry and can delete this and post elsewhere...

Quote:
norm356 previously said: View Post
For the rustproofing...

Norm
So I've read most of your rust prevention posts, and thank you for them all! Very detailed and very informative.

Did you put yours up on a lift to treat your rust-belt FJ? I couldn't imagine scooting around on my back under the FJ with rust falling into my nose, mouth, ears, etc as I wire brush it off, or getting paint all over my garage and myself, etc, etc - it doesn't sound like a easy task at all(!), and that's why I've gotten two quotes on having someone do it for me, but I worry it won't be done as thoroughly as I would like.

One shop is a larger shop that a lot of local car dealerships send their new cars to get rust proofed, and the other is a small mom and pop shop that's been around since the early 1900's. I felt more comfortable w/ the smaller shop, as the tech allowed me into the shop to show me the rust and to show me exactly what he will do which consists of knocking the rust off w/ an air hammer, cleaning it and then painting it. He also said he would shoot POR15 into the frame if I bought it for him.

The other shop (the larger one) take a more Ziebart approach with high temp pressure steaming of the rust and parts, then painting it in some way, and also filling the doors and other parts of the body where appropriate. Also, they said they would re-paint the car for free every year for as long as I own the car.

Both are asking $600.

I would love to be able to have access to a lift in a garage for a weekend as I do know I would do it the correct and thorough way following the steps you've so graciously posted, but that is out of the question as I don't know anyone in the car repair bizz.

I'm not sure if I'm asking "what would you do" or if I'm just venting, but I really want this done before winter. I'll keep the forum posted as to what I do, and again, many thanks for the info you provide to this forum. It's much appreciated!
debFJVT likes this.

Past: 2007 Black Diamond FJC - totaled
Present: 2012 Trail Team Edition Radiant Red

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)

When I work on my FJ I jack it up onto jack stands and then slide around on a sheet of corrugated cardboard.

when applying phosphate or FF by a spray gun applicator (large amounts), I lay a sheet of plastic on the driveway and drive onto that, then jack it up and pull the dirty plastic sheet out before lowering the tires back onto the ground (so they don't roll on and collect slippery FF on their treads). Don't forget to also protect the brakes (slippery = not good). A garbage bag taped around each brake/hub is more than enough protection.

Frankly, when doing (the much smaller) annual FF updates with a rattle can, I don't do anything, simply sweep off the driveway (to make it nice for me to slide around on) and reach under while working my way around (no tires off, no jack or stands), then let the weather rinse the drips off the driveway after. I bought a really long straw to get inside of things, and to spray around things with accuracy ( = no need to mask the brakes, or belts).

Notice that in all of the above scenarios, I do them outside in the driveway, never in the garage/workshop (too much masking/cleanup would be involved).

When I had the really big paint/undercoat work done I took it to a good painter, because the key to getting any kind of paint or undercoat to stick is surface prep and no one knows that better than a painter. Improperly applied undercoat will peel/crack and make worse rust traps than an untreated surface would have had.

Note that paint/undercoat (which must be able to bond to the surface) must be done before spraying things like FF or body wax around (which are designed to make it hard for anything to stick). If yours already has, then use oven cleaner to remove it for the paint to stick.

My own personal opinion: run away from Ziebart, in my life experience they spray the lowest cost petroleum based gloop on the bottom of cars that then rusted anyway, because it clogged drain holes, failed to adhere properly due to poor prep and lord knows what else, and the myriad holes they drill (DRILL!) into the body to insert their stuff rusted around the edges of those holes on the last car I owned which had been "treated" by someone before I owned it. Maybe things have changed since then, but I agree with you: if you want it done right, do it yourself.

I put off doing this kind of work on my cars in the past and then cried watching them rust away. Now that I know WHY I am doing it, the work is much less hard to talk myself into.
CRAW and debFJVT like this.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)

Congrats!! Love that clean engine bay!!!

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage

Great story! A pleasure to learn more about you!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Forums Site Functions > Toyota FJ Cruiser News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in