FJX2000's Wheeling Trips & Adventures Thread - Page 14 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Report/Photo Section/GPS Coordinates Been offroad with your FJ? Tell us about it and post up any photos or GPS coordinates so others can possibly follow in your footsteps!

134Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: FJX2000's Wheeling Trips & Adventures Thread

Beautiful playground! Enjoy it man!
FJX2000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
post #133 of 142 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)

I love this thread. Inspires me to come up to CO one time, and meet you guys in person
FJX2000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)

FJ Summit 13 - Done! Here are the photos from the trip. Good times were had, and it was fun to run some new trails and to see new and familiar faces.

Wednesday:

So I got ready in the morning, packed my things, washed the FJ, and headed for Ouray to get signed in. Arrived around 11 and after sign-in I met up with a friend of mine from work in Durango who also happens to drive an FJ. We both love railroad history so we hiked along a trail in the Red Mountain Mining Area to a famous railroad landmark of yesteryear known as the Corkscrew Gulch Turntable.

But then that night around dinner time I found our that one of the night runs was missing a trail leader, and since I didn't have anything going on that night I ended up leading the Imogene Pass night run! Due to the amount of snow this year, almost all the trail runs at the summit were rerouted or changed to accommodate the Summiters in the best way possible and with our Imogene run we could only go as far as the valley below the poser rock with all the mining tailings. The pass was still blocked with snow! We had to turn around and head back. It was actually one of my favorite runs and was my first time leading a nights run as well as being on a night run in general! We started out with 5 rigs but ended up with a 6th when one person in our group joined us at the top of our run. Because it was night time and there had just been a full day of warm sunshine melting snow, the water crossings were absolutely epic! The deepest I've ever gone for sure and it made me very happy I have a snorkel.

Thursday:

On Thursday morning I was originally scheduled to lead a trail run up the newly added trail, Sydney Basin. But with the increased snow pack, Sydney was blocked, so we instead were rescheduled to run Imogene Pass on the Ouray side. We would then go up to the Red Mountain Mining Area and explore the mines. We had 6 vehicles on this run for the Imogene part of the ride and luckily we didn't have many traffic issues since were were only the second trail run of the day. By the time we went to Red Mountain we only had 4 rigs, but it was a nice, straightforward run!

Saw a cow and calf moose while on the run but couldn't get a picture of both, the bushes were too tall and thick.

post #135 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)

After the finish of the trail run I decided to go to Silverton for lunch and to check out the train (that I work on) and explore around.

I actually did a water crossing in Silverton that was WAY deeper than I was expecting and when I traveled back through it my loose factory oil pan skid caught on something and got pretty well bent! Luckily some forum members were around at Summit HQ and helped me bend it back and reinstall it. (Thanks ILove KEtchup and Jamesepoop!)

Friday:

On Friday my run was supposed to be Black Bear Pass, but due to blockages it was reassigned to be a run up Imogene on the Telluride side and then back on Ophir Pass. I had no real desire to go up this side of Imogene so my parents and I rode across Ophir to Telluride by ourselves since I wasn't leading the run and after a lunch at Brown Dog Pizza we came back via Last Dollar Road. The snow cuts on Ophir were impressive!

Here are the shots from Last Dollar, we saw a HUGE herd of elk as well!

One of the funny things about this day was from the minute we began driving there was an odd rattling sound that kept getting worse and worse. I figured it had to be the skid plate we had reinstalled since that was the only thing I changed from the day before. So as we rode Last Dollar it drove me so crazy I took the skid off on the trail, only to discover the rattling was still there! Turned out that 2 of the 3 nuts that hold up the heat shield above the muffler had broken through so the heat shield was barely hanging on by resting on the muffler. That was the cause of so much constant rattling. So with the addition of some washers to the nuts the heat shield was re-secured and all was well.

Saturday:

For this day my original run was supposed to be the Northern Gulches, and once again due to snow it was reassigned to be the Rimrocker Trail, a trail I had never heard of before! Apparently it is essentially a series of off-highway roads extending from Montrose to Moab that are labeled as the Rimrocker Trail, and we did about half of the trail in total it felt like. I found out the night before that there were originally 3 runs scheduled but due to the flakeiness of Saturday trail runs and that I was the only assigned trail leader, they combined the 3 runs into one. We ended up starting the day with 12 rigs so really not too bad for three runs combined, but by the time we reached Ridgway to fuel up we were down to 11 rigs. It was a little bit of a drive to the trailhead near Montrose but we quickly realized this part of the "trail" was essentially a scenic drive. Or for me it was at least, because once we hit the National Forest roads it became very very dusty, especially on the Houser Cutoff we took. I felt bad for the others in the group who got super dusted out, but it was a really neat drive. Especially since my dad and I have actually hunted in this exact area!

Once we reached Nucla, we took a bathroom break and lost another rig who didn't find the dusty roads exciting enough for their time. Which was really a shame because the next part of the trail was most of our folks' favorite section!

CRAW, AMMO461 and FJCRUZA like this.
post #136 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)

After Nucla the roads became a lot more like Moab where it was sort of desert-like 2-track roads. And in some places there were even some hills where putting the rig in 4Lo was the best way to go and there were little creek crossings that were entertaining.

It was a bit of a drive back from the end of the run and by this point there were only 8 rigs left in the group but it turned out to be a neat trail that I wouldn't mind finishing someday. Great for an overlanding trip. But not the most ideal option for the FJ Summit due to the drive. We stopped at "The Ballpark" for lunch and then that night we had the famous raffle, and I actually finally won something after 6 years of Summiting! I got a back of recovery gear!

Sunday:

I once again woke up at an abnormally early hour so I could get my favorite front left corner spot! (The same spot I've been in for the past 5 years) Glad I got some drone shots!

And then on the way home I took pictures in this super scenic spot!

A fun Summit overall and I look forward to the future Summits to come!
CRAW, FJou..., AMMO461 and 1 others like this.
post #137 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)

We weren't in Ouray for long, but we saw you early in the week - probably when you pulled into town. (Red FJ stock w/ gold Iowa plates)

Great pics - thanks for sharing.

Past: 2007 Black Diamond FJC - totaled
Present: 2012 Trail Team Edition Radiant Red

post #138 of 142 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Finished a YouTube video from this year's Summit. Enjoy!

NatlPrxCruiser likes this.
post #139 of 142 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:51 PM

Location: So Cal. Traffic Sucks, Happy place is Down east Maine part time (couple more years full time)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage

Now I know what I am going to do next summer.
I bought my first FJ the same week as the Summit.

Looks like an awesome time.
FJX2000 likes this.
post #140 of 142 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great pics, awesome trail! This is a must do next year
FJX2000 likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Report/Photo Section/GPS Coordinates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in