Big Bear trails...Bonus wolves, warning lots of pictures - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Report/Photo Section/GPS Coordinates Been offroad with your FJ? Tell us about it and post up any photos or GPS coordinates so others can possibly follow in your footsteps!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Big Bear trails...Bonus wolves, warning lots of pictures

My wife and I celebrated our 2nd anniversary in big bear on the weekend of 3/9/13 in Big Bear, CA. We had a great time! It was her first time in Big Bear and I hadn't been in 7 years so it was good to escape to this southern California gem.

It had snowed during the week and the entire place was white when we showed up, the streets were clear unfortunately but everything else was covered in snow. It was beautiful. We didn't go for skiing or boarding, my wife is too chicken. We just went to get away, go shopping, sight seeing, hiking, wheeling(not planned, I'll explain later), and playing with wolves. That's right wolves.

So without further adieu, we started our vacation in Lucerne Valley at the Wolf Mountain Sanctuary on Saturday. My wife works with a volunteer so we got some sweet access.

Introducing my self to a 10 month old timberwolf pup

The only problem with them is we couldn't take them home

My wife and I

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17572473/Big...e/IMG_2906.JPG
They were so much like dogs it was hard not to drop your guard. Even though I felt safe around them as they had been trained, I was standing next to and offering my appendages to an animal with approximately 2000 pounds of bite force...

The man petting there is Three Feathers, he trains the wolves. He was with them from their birth. They loved him and you could tell. Their tails were wagging like crazy as soon as he walked in.

My personal favorite picture of one of the pups eating a carrot.

Three Feathers disciplining one of the pups for not sharing the carrot with the other pup.

Our friend who volunteers there hadn't been there in a month and they both missed her. They wouldn't stop licking her when she was near.

They took to me quite well

Too well

This is in a different cage, she was the only arctic wolf and a real lovebug. I was told not to pet her stomach since I'm a male and she would bite me thinking I'm trying to go for her ::ahem:: hoo ha, as it were.

Funny story here. I was petting her chest in front of her leg, but she lifted her leg and put it over my arm as if to say, 'no, pet here'. So, I went back to her chest and sure enough she moved her leg over again. It was hillarious.

The Alpha, we weren't allowed in his cage. He's potentially violent to strangers and he only trusts the people who work at the facility. He was scary.

The Omega. She was very timid and scared when we entered the cage. She was pacing a lot and didn't come near me and my wife. The owner of the facility said she might have been abused by a man as a puppy so she won't go near men. In fact, it took our friend 5 months before the omega would come up to her. This time it took about 30 minutes before she was comfortable.

2 videos and I'm done with the wolves I promise.

These are the wolves howling. The first video is one of the hybrids(half wolf, half dog) they had there reacting to the howling.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17572473/Big...e/MVI_2961.AVI

http://db.tt/mw6OhCRi
This wolf always had to have the last howl, you can see that in the video, very funny personality quirk.

Okay, after that we headed up the back way on the 18 highway to Big Bear. My wife surprised me when she said let's go off roading and take some pictures. I happily obliged.

Navigating this deceptively treacherous rock garden. It doesn't look like much here but to the side is a 50 foot drop.

Went over that particular section a few times because it was really fun, and then we headed up to Big Bear.

On Sunday, we did the usual breakfast, shopping, playing in the snow, and then my wife said she wanted to go to the Holcomb Valley mine. I had my fun now it was time for her fun. For those who aren't familiar with the area, Holcomb Valley is on the North Shore of Big Bear near Fawnskin. I didn't know it at the time, but it also has a lot of Jeep trails. So, we looked up how to get to the Holcomb Valley mine and we ended up in the middle of nowhere off a dirt road next to a YMCA campground. It wasn't where we were supposed to go apparently but it was a beautiful view. It was so nice, we went hiking.

It was warming up and the snow was melting fast. The dirt road that we took to get there was a slush fest through mud. It was really fun. Then we stumbled on this mud bath. I had no choice

Feeling thoroughly pleased with myself

After that we went back down the road to find a local to give us some directions. It wasn't very helpful. So, I found some different directions online which told us to take 3N17 I believe. I can't remember the trail numbers exactly I'm going off memory here. It might have also been 4N38?? Sorry, I was having too much fun to remember. Either way we never saw the mine, but I think based on what I saw we were in the valley.

This was at an open area where a lot of 4 wheelers were stopped. I decided to take in the view...of my FJ. My wife thought I was such a dork.

Beautiful views of Big Bear Lake from this trail. I had no idea there was a network of fantastic trails up there until my wife FORCED me to go off roading.

I believe this was Holcomb valley. I'm not 100 percent sure, but the people we were following said this was it.

The mud.

A well earned break after a hard days work. What started out as seeing a mine turned into off roading with my wife. She loved it, I loved it, and we had a great time.

Things I learned from this trip:
-My wife loves off roading because she gets to see beautiful places.
-My love for her grows every time we do things like this together.
-A stock 2WD FJ with locker is very capable, I was able to go places I didn't think I would be able to go. Anytime I saw a tough obstacle I said, 'what the heck, let's see' and we made it.
-The tires I have aren't all that bad in the mud. In some places it was pretty thick, but we just kept on truckin
-I definitely need a roof rack, it sucked having all the gear and shovel rattling in the back.
-I should probably get some recovery equipment and a compressor.
-Big Bear is great for off roading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Big Bear trails...Bonus wolves, warning lots of pictures

Awesome pictures and info!! those wolves are amazing!!

BRAD
MR. NAUGHTY AVATAR

2007 SUN FUSION
WWW.FORGEOVERLAND.COM

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Awesome

2013 TTSE 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage

Cool pictures.

2011 TTSE: RIP

2013 TTSE: 2.5" Fox coilovers w/resis, Fox 2.0" 8-Way Adjustable Rear Shocks, 3.5" All-Pro Springs, Demello Sliders, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper, 305/70/16 Goodyear MT/Rs, 16" Raceline Renegade Rims, Expo-One Washer Bottle, Ricochet LCA Skids, Cobra CB, Bandi Mount, Metal Tech Lower Links, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 2 Baja Designs Squadrons

2014 Triumph Street Triple R

Link to my build: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ome-build.html
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM

The Hesperia and Lucerne areas have great desert and rock trails and 30 min from that is the big bear trails. I'm lucky that my girlfriends parents live in that area so I'm up there often. The wolves are awesome, that alone would make the trip worth it for me!

And happy anniversary!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage

Awesome pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 T/T Fazzia the FJ
So far: Audio: 2 10" Hertz subs, Kenwood amp, Big Bill CB Radio kit. Icon Stage 2 Lift w/ L/R UCA's, BudBuilt diff skid, T/T sliders, Demello single hooped bumper, Acro fog lights and more fog lights
Wish List:body armor, rear bumper, winch, exhaust, air intake, bigger tires.

"CHICS RULE"
TeAm ZoMbIe FiGhter

Check out my build page. https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...fazzia-fj.html
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)

Those wolves are cool. Any rancher wants to mow them down the first chance they get! I can see both sides of the coin.

Nice mud still

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

• 2007 Voodoo 6MT
  • AllPro Walker Evans lift
  • AllPro Uniball UCAs
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • Stealth Custom Series Matte Bronze Wheels
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Cool pics!

'07 Voodoo Blue/6MT/Roof Rack/Towing Package/ALL-PRO-Front Bumper w/Prerunner Light Bar, Rock Guards, Full Skid Plates, High Clearance Exhaust, Ultimate Lower Skids/Metal Tech Rear Bumper/ICON Ext. Travel Remote Reservoir Front-Rear PiggyBack Reservoir Shocks-Shin Guards/aFe Pro-Guard 7 CAI/Doug Thorley Headers/Garvin Trail Rack/KC Daylighters/BFG AT/KO's 315x70x17 Tires/17 inch Steel Wheels/Magnaflow Exhaust/Man-A-Fre Extended Brake Lines/M-Pac Rear Mount/Power Tank/Manik Taillight Guards & Roof Rack Light Bar/Light Racing Adjustable UCA/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/Toy Outfitters Rear Upper Control Arms, Rim Stiffeners/URD Short Shifter/Timbren Bumpstops/Baja Rack, + a butt load more mods..
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming

Wow, thank you for sharing that in detail! I love it. Big Bear is a wonderful place to play and offers quite a variety of options. I miss the snow!

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I enjoyed the Big Bear Trails especially because the views were amazing. We would come up on these viewing areas that opened up to who knows how many miles of wilderness. The one trail we hit off the 18 half way up to Big Bear was nice too. I'll have to make more frequent trips out to that area. If anyone needs a trail buddy out there, I'm in.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Report/Photo Section/GPS Coordinates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in