Magruder Road - Closed 2016 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Report/Photo Section/GPS Coordinates Been offroad with your FJ? Tell us about it and post up any photos or GPS coordinates so others can possibly follow in your footsteps!

1Likes
  • 1 Post By L68SWEET

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Magruder Road - Closed 2016

I was planning on driving the Magruder Road on 7/8/2016 and stopped at the ranger station at the beginning of the road in Montana on Thursday 7/7/2016 to inquire about the road condition. I was told the road was closed through to Idaho

Apparently there was a major landslide this spring that has closed the road. The people at the ranger station indicated that construction crews were working to open the road and that the road was expected to open some time in August.

So if anyone is planning on driving the road, certainly inquire before starting.

I was told that the Montana side of the road was open to a major river raft launching site that was approximately 60 miles in, but that the cutoff to Idaho, at approximately mile 40, was closed.
IDFJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Magruder Road - Closed 2016

Quote:
L68SWEET previously said: View Post
I was planning on driving the Magruder Road on 7/8/2016 and stopped at the ranger station at the beginning of the road in Montana on Thursday 7/7/2016 to inquire about the road condition. I was told the road was closed through to Idaho

Apparently there was a major landslide this spring that has closed the road. The people at the ranger station indicated that construction crews were working to open the road and that the road was expected to open some time in August.

So if anyone is planning on driving the road, certainly inquire before starting.

I was told that the Montana side of the road was open to a major river raft launching site that was approximately 60 miles in, but that the cutoff to Idaho, at approximately mile 40, was closed.
FYI, if you want to drive in from the MT side, the drive from Darby, MT to Paradise is nice and the fishing along the Selway River is very good.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
IDFJ previously said: View Post
FYI, if you want to drive in from the MT side, the drive from Darby, MT to Paradise is nice and the fishing along the Selway River is very good.
The person at the ranger station suggested that or drive over a mountain to the Shoup, ID area. I opted to drive to Shoup. It was spectacular!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 07:16 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

I guy I work with just got back from there. Said its totally gone at the point mentioned. Big land slide with no hint of a way around. Will never exist again I imagine.

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 88 Post(s)

Quote:
L68SWEET previously said: View Post
The person at the ranger station suggested that or drive over a mountain to the Shoup, ID area. I opted to drive to Shoup. It was spectacular!
If you keep going west until you get to Panther Creek, then head south you can take that road all the way to Challis Id., or cut over towards Cobalt that will eventually put you on 93 just south of Salmon. You could also come back east head south on 93 and go through Salmon and south to Mackay. Great drive with lots of beautiful scenery.

If you are up around the Hamilton Mt. area and want to grab a beer,pm me.

Last edited by Red Crow; 07-10-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Report/Photo Section/GPS Coordinates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in