Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Two Solid Axle FJC's Rubicon Day Trip

12K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  STORMTROOPER 
#1 ·
Pictures from yesterdays day trip on the Rubicon Trail. Tim had a buddy in town that had not been on the Rubicon, so we decided to do a day trip and have some fun. Weather was perfect!

Tim the "Wheelie King"

Look Amanda, Tim really did take care of the dog... :p

I foresee tube doors in Big Blue's future. To quote Tim - "I can see everything... I gotta get me some tube doors."

Hey Travis it was great to meet you, hope to wheel with you again! I hope driving the FJC's sold you on building one. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Two Solid Axle FJC's Rubicon Day Trip - part 2

We made it to Soupbowl and I just couldn't resist.

Driver side tail light goes crunch on the rock behind me. My spare helped by pushing me off the rock a little, but not enough to save the tail light.

Going up the Soupbowl...

I made it up and over... awesome!

#3 ·
Tim's turn at Soupbowl... he picked the better line, but...

Right about here Tim ruptured a brake line and rolled back into the rock behind him and crunched his tail light as well.

Matching tail light carnage (if you can call it that :)).

Tim needed a little help fixing the brake lines. He couldn't figure out which tool to use. Hey Todd, if you're reading this make sure to have that oil pan looked at pronto.

I think Rhett likes my FJC better then MissFJ's... :p Cool, cool, cool puppy Amanda.

A little trail fix and we were headed back to the trail head.

#5 ·
Sol, a couple of questions regarding your rig-

(1) Since the Rubicon is a walk in the park and Potato Salad Hill (Moab) is not a challenge, where are you going to take that silver tank to really test its capabilities?

(2) How do you really feel about the tube doors?

(3) Did you drag the rear bumper at all?

#8 ·
Sol, a couple of questions regarding your rig-

(1) Since the Rubicon is a walk in the park and Potato Salad Hill (Moab) is not a challenge, where are you going to take that silver tank to really test its capabilities?
:lol: I'm dealing with a problem that is located between the steering wheel and the driver seat. Until I get this problem ironed out I'll just be running the Rubicon and other local trails. I would like to run Fordyce and Dusy this year. :) The goal is to wheel it for many year w/o breaking it to bad.

(2) How do you really feel about the tube doors?
Love them tube doors!

(3) Did you drag the rear bumper at all?
Yes I did hit the bumper, but not the tire carrier. No worries though I am running the Demello rear bumper and it hold up great to all the rock rash. The drop off in the last post did hit the bumper, but not the tire. With the tire on the OEM carrier it would have hit hard.

You guys suck, just a "day trip", man am I jealous. I'm stuck with having to go to Tellico next weekend and having some trails still closed.
Boo hoo Jerry.. you're only going to run Tellico. Man that must really suck! :p I think you should move back to California, then you could join us on day trips. :lol: :rofl:

#6 ·
You guys suck, just a "day trip", man am I jealous. I'm stuck with having to go to Tellico next weekend and having some trails still closed.

Looks like some quality fun, love the look on Tim's face when encountered with the trail fix. That pic is a keeper.

By the way, two of the nicest rigs on the planet. And, you are right, tube doors could be in the future for more than Tim...

#11 ·
I am INSANELY jealous! Fantastic pictures and what a great adventure. Love the soup bowl pics especially. Did I say jealous?

#16 ·
Thanks for the pics!

I'm headed to the Rubicon in my Jeep TJ (5" lift w/dual lockers and 35" tires but still not as tricked out as your rigs) for the first time in September and it's good to know what to expect. ;)

#20 ·
Oh just wait SOL you have been bitten you will start wheelin your Rig harder and harder then you come to a choice do I continue wheelin it and cause possible major body damage to such a pretty rig or do i sell it and go full tube buggy so nothing can stop you but the guy in the driver seat. Or maybe you will go out and buy the newest rig and start all over with a stock rig and try to make it go places it was never meant for:p

#23 ·
Jason, you're the devil! :lol:

#24 ·
Sol awesome pics, I talked with Tim Tuesday night when coming in to MOAB, he said you guys were just coming off the trail and were heading out. I was looking forward to wheeling with you both in MOAB. Maybe next year. Great pics, I love the one of you stanced on Big Blue. :lol:

It was great meeting you and your son this year, take care buddy. :)

Mike

#29 ·
It was an absolute pleasure meeting/chatting with you. My son must have told me a dozen times that I should have bought a TRD FJC after he saw yours. :) Next year we will plan on being in Moab longer. This year I had to get back for my Grandparents 70th wedding anniversary celebration. :eek:

#27 ·
Sol does have a Prius now. You can start the planning of SAS Jason.

#39 ·
I have to say that seeing is believing when it comes to those tube doors. It was sooo nice to be able to see out of the vehicle. I am definitely going to have to either make some of those or just run with out the doors!!! It was amazing what a difference it made in driving Sols rig in Moab with the doors on and driving it on the Con with the tube doors.

#41 ·
But he fixed your broken tail light for you. I have to say that is the sweetest mod I've ever seen.

Tim you need to patent that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.