Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

AZFJ: Bradshaw Mountains - 2007-07-14

744 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SpeshulEd 
#1 ·
I'll be gone this weekend, but am going to try my hardest to do this run the following weekend, July 14.

The book says its easy, the pictures make it look easy, and the author ranked it one of his favorites, so it should be fun. The book says it'll take a full day, so I'm thinking start early, around 9am or so and take it easy.

I'm still not 100% sure if I'll be able to go, but I'd really really like to, and my calendar is still open at the moment, so fingers crossed. It'd be great to do it with some of you fellow AZFJers if anyone is interested.

I scanned the pages from the book I have, so everyone could take a look.
Page 1:

Page 2:

Map Detail:

these are links to the originals if you'd like to download them for easy reading:
http://speshuled.smugmug.com/photos/169249808-O.jpg
http://speshuled.smugmug.com/photos/169250083-O.jpg
http://speshuled.smugmug.com/photos/169250191-O.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a nice wide smooth dirt road that gets washboard build-up around the turns because people go fast enough that they have to use the brakes when they approach hairpins. The last time I was on that road, our AZFJ group was coming down from Crown King, having gone up the back way, and we found a pickup truck engulfed in flames, literally melting in the road. We spent a half hour burying the thing in shovel-fulls of dirt in order to prohibit it from touching off the surrounding brush. Somewhere on these forums are the pictures of the "car-b-que".

If you're interested in exploring the region, there are some GREAT places to go which are just a touch more 4-wheelish and even more picturesque. That same book will no doubt have Montana Mtn Rd. for example, which actually benefits from having 4WD and more ground clearance than a Honda Civic. Personally, I'd call that run equally or more pretty than Crown King via Bumblebee and Cleator. Alternately, consider doing the true Crown King back road. Although the guidebooks will call it moderately challenging, this is moderately challenging for stock SUV's driven by people with no offroad experience. A stock FJC is completely capable of doing this run with a driver who has little or no experience. We took a dozen FJ's up this trail one day, and several were 4 wheeling for the first time.

... food for thought. ;)

#4 ·
Good info BellyDoc, I've been more or less just trying to find runs that are somewhat close to my house. I've also been sticking with the easy ones as I'm still a bit new to the area and wheelin' in the desert. I'd love to hit up some harder runs, but I don't want to do it alone. Plus, I'm trying to get my roommate into it, and he gets nervous easy.

All the trails I've did before have only been half day trips, so I figure this will be a nice full day trip.

Also, it looks like everything is coming together, so I'm about 99% sure I'll be able to do this, so if anyone wants to come, you're more than welcome. If not, I'll be sure to give a trail report and take lots of pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.