Coast-to-coast and back in an FJ? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Runs/Get-Togethers Going offroad? Post it up here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Coast-to-coast and back in an FJ?

DUDE!!! doing the same trip except east to west. Leaving Annapolis MD and ending up somewhere in California. I just bought my FJ 4 months ago and decided to take it on this road trip. Im leaving mid June and taking my time since ill be off from college. If you go out east be sure to hit up Coca Cola drive in baltimore and Rausch Creek in PA. Anything out their i should go to?
-mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

That's a coincidence. I'm planning drive x-country from SF to DC then up to New England and back through Canada, but, given the length, it will probably take me 6-8 weeks (in April-June) to do it instead. Have fun on your trip!

Haven't planned out a route yet, but will keep an eye on this thread for ideas. The only thing I'm sure about is that I want to visit DC to visit my sister and her family, stop off at West Point (where my brother-in-law is buried) and in Cooperstown to visit the Hall of Fame and (after a side trip up as far as Nova Scotia or Labrador) head back to SF via Ottawa, Montreal & Tornoto and Niagra Falls. Everything else is up for grabs.

Also haven't decided on which vehicle to drive yet. The most economical and practical would be the Prius. The least economical but most versatile would be the FJ. And, the most fun but least practical would be the MR2. It's wonderful to have choices, but having to make them can also make life very complicated.

Marty

2017 Summit White Chevy Bolt
2012 Charcoal Grey Metallic Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 Black Sapphire Metallic BMW 335i
2007 VooDoo Blue Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT - Bought 04/11/14 SOLD 3/4/17
2007 Titanium Metallic Toyota FJ Cruiser AT - Bought in May 2007. SOLD 9/9/11
2002 Island Blue Ford F250 4x4 7.3L TD SC LB Lariat
2002 Absolutely Red Toyota MR2 Spyder

Last edited by Swingshiftworker; 01-26-2008 at 12:30 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
HITMAN previously said: View Post
DUDE!!! doing the same trip except east to west. Leaving Annapolis MD and ending up somewhere in California. I just bought my FJ 4 months ago and decided to take it on this road trip. Im leaving mid June and taking my time since ill be off from college. If you go out east be sure to hit up Coca Cola drive in baltimore and Rausch Creek in PA. Anything out their i should go to?
-mark
I am planning to leave in June as well. We might end-up meeting half-way.

Over here I've only gone to Death Valley (made for FJs, but might be too hot in June) and the Hollister offroad recreation area, but there's a lot more to explore. Definitely plan to do as much of Hwy 1 (along the coast as you can).

Thanks for the tip on Coca Cola drive and Rausch Creek...

Alberto

Now: Army Green Trail Team Edition 2011
Before (2007-2011): Silver TRD Edition 2007-2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:37 PM

The FJ is a great cross country vehicle IMHO. I did the 2,500 mile journey from Cleveland OH to Portland OR this summer with my teenage brother (he took a one-way flight back to OH). We took the "northern route" (I-80) and spent a week in Yellowstone. Oneof the best trips i've ever done.

Sure, the FJ is not as economical as the Prius by far, but it's pretty comfy to spend that much time in. Not to mention great to store tons of camping luggage. Just my 2 cents.

Wish I could do a roadtrip like yours!

"Bullwinkle"

'07 AT Ti Metallic - ARB Bullbar - Warn XD9000 - OME 885/895 Lift - BFG 285/70/R17 M/T KM2's on 17x9 ProComp Xtreme Alloys - IPF Aux Lights- IPF JO1 Hybrids - Stock Roof Rack "Diet" - OEM Sliders - Uniden PC78 CB -Bandi Mount w/ 3' FireStik - SCUBA Mod - BudBuilts - SCUBA Mod - AP LCA "Pro Links" & skids - AP exhaust tip - Body Mount Chop (c/o Metal Tech)

Member NWFJCC
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Forum Master

there is a motorcycle off road trail that goes east/west that you can look at if you want a true adventure
transamercia trail. It isn't complete so you will have to piece it together with the FJC in mind.
After the FJ Summit I am going from Canada to Mexico along the Continental Divide and then I will start working on a 4x4 TransUSA trail that will go from West to East or even better would be the USA Loop that 4x4's as much as possible around the country.
So many trips, so little time in life

enjoy,
1leglance
KE7NKP
Disabled Explorers
Helping the handicapped independently access the backcountry
www.disabledexplorers.com
Voodoo Blue driver, night nurse, cigar smoker & all around happy camper
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I did san diego to chicago and back last october and it was a blast. definitly document and post up the details

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7470_2.gif
Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post

Yup thieves are stupid, that's why they are thieves.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Runs/Get-Togethers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in