OFFICAL Moab October 7th-11th 2015 - Page 36 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Runs/Get-Togethers Going offroad? Post it up here!

326Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #351 of 390 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 07:29 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: OFFICAL Moab October 7th-11th 2015

Quote:
Djtc previously said: View Post
Soooo who has my huge crescent wrench and vice grips? I lent them out to the guys who where going out to help the fj with the broken tie rod. Never got them back.

Quote:
GRMREPR previously said: View Post
Yep, I ended up with them. PM me your address and I'll send them to you.

My fault guys. Sorry about that. I spaced grabbing them out of the 40 when we got John down off the hill. Happy to split the shipping cost with you @GRMREPR

Quote:
TheThorn previously said: View Post
Maybe it could say, "I carry my own poop out."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 390 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Man I had a blast! Can't wait to that again! Great to meet so many cool people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1444535004.955253.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	581874  
Subverto likes this.
post #353 of 390 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage

Alright, so I made it back to Portland late Wednesday. Thanks again for the great trip! The place is amazing, but the people are what make a trip like that enjoyable.

I've been catching up on sleep -- I drove a total of 2,771 miles over the ten day trip to/from/at Moab... I am an amateur-at-best photographer, but I took quite a few shots when I was riding shotgun on Friday on Hell's Revenge and Fins & Things, and Saturday on Poison Spider, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim. Most will be uploaded to Flickr once I am done culling through them and editing (I will link to them), but here's a few to whet your appetite...

- @RichJacot with a wheel stuffed on Hell's Revenge

-The group on the exit from Hell's Revenge

- @B. Rock in his sweet 80 on the "V-Notch" on the Poison Spider Mesa trail

More soon.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RichJacot_Hells Revenge.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	582034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hells Revenge exit.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	772.2 KB
ID:	582042   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.Rock_V Notch.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	642.8 KB
ID:	582050  
GRMREPR, 07TxTRD and Moab Junky like this.

Quote:
TheThorn previously said: View Post
Maybe it could say, "I carry my own poop out."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #354 of 390 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)

I had kind of a solemn moment While i was at the overlook at Top of the world. While I was hanging out , taking in the view and watching the other guys take their pics , i noticed a small box under a tree on the left. I didn't think much of it at first but I became more curious and walked over to it and picked it up took off the lid, and looked inside.What i found inside was startling , what at first i thought was dirt, I quickly realized that it was ashes... someone's cremated remains. I let out a gasp, and immediately put the lid back on and returned it to the exact place i had found, it while offering a quick apology to the person to which they belonged.

Just illustrates what a very special place on earth THAT place is, and that someone loved it so much that that is where they wanted their remains to reside.

I could think of worse places to spend some time ....worse places indeed

2014 Iceberg, Rear E-locker front ARB air locker 4.88 Yukon gears , A-trac, Demello aluminum front bumper, Front sway bar disconnects Smittybilt X20 10k lb winch with Factor 55 thimble, ICON Extended travel front / rear with ICON Overland springs ICON tubular UCAs ICON billet aluminum rear LCA Viair OBA system
Total Chaos spindle gussets , BudBuilt front skid, Budbuilt mid skid ,Allpro sliders, Fuel Anza wheels, anthracite w/black beadlocks, Amazeing hood decal BFG 35x70x17 km2 cool stickers
post #355 of 390 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 AM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6951 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Heliguide previously said: View Post
I had kind of a solemn moment While i was at the overlook at Top of the world. While I was hanging out , taking in the view and watching the other guys take their pics , i noticed a small box under a tree on the left. I didn't think much of it at first but I became more curious and walked over to it and picked it up took off the lid, and looked inside.What i found inside was startling , what at first i thought was dirt, I quickly realized that it was ashes... someone's cremated remains. I let out a gasp, and immediately put the lid back on and returned it to the exact place i had found, it while offering a quick apology to the person to which they belonged.

Just illustrates what a very special place on earth THAT place is, and that someone loved it so much that that is where they wanted their remains to reside.

I could think of worse places to spend some time ....worse places indeed
Several years ago a group of FJs made that trip. One of the owner's had a really cool dog who ran along side us and was just friendly and good looking as can be. It was a yearly thing for him and his owner to go to Moab. Well the dog passed away and the next trip down to Moab was with a group of FJs again and the owner stood on the rock, said a few words, and let the wind take the ashes of his dog and spread them around the area that he loved.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031
post #356 of 390 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 129 Post(s)

I couldn't think of a more appropriate place

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

2014 Iceberg, Rear E-locker front ARB air locker 4.88 Yukon gears , A-trac, Demello aluminum front bumper, Front sway bar disconnects Smittybilt X20 10k lb winch with Factor 55 thimble, ICON Extended travel front / rear with ICON Overland springs ICON tubular UCAs ICON billet aluminum rear LCA Viair OBA system
Total Chaos spindle gussets , BudBuilt front skid, Budbuilt mid skid ,Allpro sliders, Fuel Anza wheels, anthracite w/black beadlocks, Amazeing hood decal BFG 35x70x17 km2 cool stickers
post #357 of 390 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
FudoMyo previously said: View Post
That's awesome man, beats mine. I thought about doing something like you, but with a stock bumper, it woulda ended badly... (probably would have been "internet famous" tho, lol)
Great pic!
Looks like your 14 TT is pretty stock, how did you and it do? I have a 13 TT and was worried about it's stockness limiting my adventures especially with some of the heavily modded FJs that go.
Differently want to visit soon.
Thanks

2013 TT - 5100's 4th Notch, 1.5" Daystar, 295-75-16
post #358 of 390 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Moocher previously said: View Post
Great pic!
Looks like your 14 TT is pretty stock, how did you and it do? I have a 13 TT and was worried about it's stockness limiting my adventures especially with some of the heavily modded FJs that go.
Differently want to visit soon.
Thanks
Hey bud,

In a nutshell, it did amazing! That trip was fantastic and I can't wait to go back hopefully next year.

Now, details... the few weeks prior to the trip I DID armor up underneath and I'm thankful for every piece I added, especially since I don't have a lift and am running stock tires (265/75/16). Recent mods are as follows:

RCI steel plates, TRD Filler Plate (I want to keep the TRD aluminum until it gets too banged up before replacing it with the full steel front plate. It did take a few hits and you can see some scrapes and dents in it now), Tranmission Plate and Transfer Case Plate. I held off on the Rear Diff Skid for this trip due to budget. These skids were all useful on the Moab trails, took some scratches and slides, but I never banged the Rear Diff! I had SO much more peace of mind (still stressful tho) every time I heard something hit or drag underneath, knowing there was quality armor doing its job under there. So, MANY thanks to Josh at RCI for the awesome skids!

Insain Fab Rear LCA Mount Skids (steel). I definitely banged these a few times and I would have regretted not having these on to protect the mounts as they would have been chewed up for sure. Thanks to Corey at InSain Fab for these, they did their job well!

Lastly, MetalTech Lower Control Arms. These are some beefy arms that I can see the scrapes where I slid along these without a hint of bending them. For what it's worth, on the Top Of The World run, Subverto actually managed to bend his driver side rear LCA a little bit on one of the ledges, so, really glad I got these. Thanks MetalTech!

Even with the armor/arms listed above, I did manage to take a few dings and rashes home with me. I knew before going there was almost a guaranteed chance I'd hit my tailpipe as that's by far the lowest hanging piece. Lots of ledges out there and sure enough, I hit and dented the tailpipe. I knew the Top Of The World run would have even more and harder ledges so me and a few others tried to remove the chrome tip before heading out that morning with no luck. Funny thing was, at the top, while talking to some people about the dented tip, I was able to pull it off by hand (musta been heated up just right).

I also managed to scrape up (just a lil bit) the driver side corners of both front and rear bumpers. I also got a small (but painful) tear in the front bumper on the passenger side. I think that one was my fault for trying a ledge that was just a little too steep/tall for my setup, but, learning what my rig can do is all part of the process Here I also have to sincerely thank everyone there that offered help spotting us all through these runs, y'all rock!

Looking back, it would have been more expensive, but if I learned anything from observation, I do believe a little more clearance would have made a significant difference. These FJs are amazing stock, and if you just take it slow and easy, you'll find you have a VERY capable vehicle on your hands!

Pics below (I hope) showing the armor/arms/dings and a pic of the sunrise on the last morning in Moab.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RCI_Skids_New.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	582786   Click image for larger version

Name:	TRD_Plate_Dings.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	582794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IF_Skid_MT_LCA.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	582802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear_Bumper_Ding.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	582810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_Passenger_Tear.JPG
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	582818  

Name:	Front_Driver_Scrape.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	582826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crushed_Tailpipe.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	582834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailpipe_Removal_Fail.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	582842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailpipe_Sleeve_Removed.JPG
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	582850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moab_Last_Morning.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	582858  

windstarfj, Jrtheman and Skawty like this.
post #359 of 390 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 05:59 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Moab Junky previously said: View Post
Gemini trail at night. Was looking for the crew but they had to change plans and went to the wash instead.

Attachment 581026

Attachment 581034

Istambull and I wait while Jerry wrestles a 4 foot Bull snake near Bartlet Wash.

Attachment 581050

Moki enjoying an evening ride around camp.

Attachment 581066

An impressive trailer.

Attachment 581082
What a great trip!

The snake, the nachos, and the company was great.

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	657.6 KB
ID:	582874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2168.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	492.9 KB
ID:	584666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	584674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2145.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	642.4 KB
ID:	584682  

Last edited by RockyFJCruiser; 10-19-2015 at 11:08 PM.
post #360 of 390 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
RockyFJCruiser previously said: View Post
What a great trip!

The snake, the nachos, and the company was great.

Thanks guys
I came across you guys probably 30 seconds before this pic was snapped! Can't believe it! I was on a yellow DRZ 400 and my dad and brother were on lime green 4-wheelers. We were coming down as you were coming up. Seeing all of you up on LaSalle really made me question my choice of ride!

I've been to Moab several times on a MTB, finally on a motorcycle, so the only thing left is my FJ.

Next year?!?

No guts, no story.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Runs/Get-Togethers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in