Pismo Beach, July 7-9 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Runs/Get-Togethers Going offroad? Post it up here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Phil306
(Thread Starter)
Pismo Beach, July 7-9

Ok guys and gals:

In response to my "beach" thread, I am going to Pismo with my FJ. I will be there on July 7, 8, 9th. I'll be arriving around 3pm on the 7th. May do a quick recon of the area. The majority of my time on the dunes/beach will be on the 8th.

I will most likily be alone and you can see my FJ in my avatar. Its the same, with the exception of a brush guard and front skid pan.

If anyone sees me and wants to say hello, say hello!!!

Phil

"Forgiveness is between him and god. I'm just here to arrange the meeting."

Dear God,

Please make everyone die. Amen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Pismo Beach

Dang it, I just know if I go I'll break something ...but I have no good excuse not to go and I do know how to fix it lemme think about it. camping on the beach, of course??
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:06 PM

Re: Pismo Beach, July 7-9

You guys been there before? You need any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I am going to be honest and BLUNT here:

I've never four wheeled driven before in my LIFE!!! I bought my FJ JUST to go off road. I figured the beach would be the easiest way to do so. To break it in and all. I'll be there for sure; lots of personal reasons, etc.

Camping on the beach? Possible. However, as of now, I have motel reseravations in SLO.

Tips? I'll take ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you have. And then some...

Dear God,

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:51 PM

Alright, that's cool.

1. The very most important thing to do is air down your tires. You absolutely must do it if you want to have fun. Air down to 12-14 psi. Yup, 12-14. I even go down to 10 psi sometimes. 20 psi won't cut it. You need to go low. It's absolutely amazing the amount to traction you get when you air down and those few PSI makes a huge difference. The only thing you need to worry about is blowing your bead. Mostly that happens if you try to take a turn too sharp and you roll the tire right off the rim. Make sure you have your spare.

2. They will look impossible, but you can scale the steep side of the dunes if you're aired down enough. Get some momentum, keep your tire speed up and you'll be amazed. If you do get bogged down on the side of a dune, put it in reverse and very slowly back straight down. DO NOT GET SIDEWAYS. You'll roll.

3. On that note, be careful of those steep drop offs, they'll sneak up on you. Because of the winds, the part of the dunes that face away from the ocean tend to drop off very steeply. Always creep up on those slowly. You can go down those drop offs but until you get more experience make sure there's an easy way for you to exit once you're at the bottom. You don't want to get stuck in a bowl.

4. If you get stuck don't use throttle much, you'll just bury yourself deeper. Stop. Air down more. You'll crawl right out. You can go down to even 5 PSI if you have to.

5. There's a big gas station on grand avenue, I think it's chevron, that has free air up stations. I'm not sure if I'd drive there at 5psi, but 10-12 psi is fine, it's not very far. I have onboard air, but I usually go there to air up, it's faster.

6. As Leo mentioned in the other thread, obey the speed limit on the beach.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Exclamation Re: Pismo Beach, July 7-9

Additional tip for beginners: Playing in the sand is more difficult than most other terrains, because it is very easy to get disoriented about angles and direction. The same problems pilots face about the horizon are faced by trucks in the sand. The vehicle's motion is altered by slippage, and your eyes and inner ears can fool your mind. LOOK AT YOUR INCLINOMETER, and if you get stuck or nervous on an uphill approach, always BACK DOWN and never TURN IN TO THE BOTTOM. Also, be careful when approaching dust bowls at speed - your can't alway tell how deep or steep they are, and once you are in them, you may not be able to get out on your own, and you won't be visible to anyone outside the bowl. Also be careful of others who may be stopped on the other side of a dune - you may not be able to stop or steer in time if you are travelling too fast. And last of all, be ready for lots of clean up time - Sand is abrasive, and it will get in everything- froms diffs to air filters, to air conditioning ducts to wiring harnesses. Get it out as thoroughly as possible to prevent damage from abrasion later down the road.
Pismo can be alot of fun -but use common sense and look out for others.

" I'm not aware of too many things, but I know what I know, if you know what I mean..."

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... that way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes..."

W6LPB / WPOK492

TLCA #9632

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thank you for all the advice. I plan on going real slow and not tackling anything too big.

Dear God,

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Take some plywood. It makes a good platform to jack off of, and to grip with if you get stuck (don't stand behind it). Surface area is king in the sand, that's why airing down is SO important.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:24 PM

Guys,

I think that I'll be able to join this outing. Hey, my crazy long wheelbase won't hinder me too much out there... If I go, I'll bring two 4'x6' sheets of plywood and a small shovel. Hopefully, I won't need them...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
4RnrJ previously said:
Take some plywood. It makes a good platform to jack off of, and to grip with if you get stuck (don't stand behind it). Surface area is king in the sand, that's why airing down is SO important.
he said jack off? haha

black FJC 4x4 AT

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Runs/Get-Togethers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in