montana fj cruisers! - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Runs/Get-Togethers Going offroad? Post it up here!

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: montana fj cruisers!

Quote:
sdennie previously said: View Post
I lived in the mountains on gravel roads for several years and my FJ held up to the beating just fine. I'm mostly referring to, "Hold my beer and watch this" kinds of shenanigans. I'm happy to flex the suspension and get a bit off kilter but, I've seen 4x4 clubs that consider damaging the vehicle to practically be the goal of the adventure. Not doing that. I'm definitely going to look into 406 Cruisers once I get some free time.
Yeah thats more of a jeep thing. Lots of beaters looking for mud pits.

The toyota scene is much more civilized.

Most of the trails we do in the club are pretty mellow. At least in my opinion.
BOBTAILFJ and CabinCruiser like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Im sure its some sort of way of them trying to compensate for the fact they are always breaking down. If they go out and break it on purpose, it is an excuse for why they are always fixing stuff.
CabinCruiser likes this.

2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams 6MT
TLCA #24463
Bozeman, MT

https://backcountryadventuretime.wordpress.com
IG:@backcountryadventuretime
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 09:13 PM
fka BLACK HAWK

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)

Quote:
ttfjc previously said: View Post
wow that was fast. yeah i kinda took your spot as the solo FJC in the club

you're going to need more lights! ... lack of income was the driving force behind moving. again. and I hate moving. $20/hr. isn't bad but it's not great in upstate Ny. higher quality of life was needed. I got lucky enough to find a job (and hopeful new career) more inline with my skill set. I applied for jobs back at the AF.base but no dice. NM called and made me an offer I couldn't refuse!
CabinCruiser likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

" You can't be afraid to scratch it "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 05:59 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:

The toyota scene is much more civilized.
Like Boone's Farm vs. Micro Brew!

R.I.P.- Echo

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

It Is Easier To Walk On Hot Coals Then It Is To Walk On Egg Shells...-CC

Member of the month-October 2017
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
Like Boone's Farm vs. Micro Brew!
I have to admit that i was not familir with boones farm so i googled it. I figured it was something cheap but was curious so i googled it.

This is what like the first result said.
Drinking Boone's Farm is kind of like snorting glue, but in a bottle.

Im still laughing.

Yes great anaology.

And im working on getting more lights. And more cupholders.

Among 100 other things

TLCA #24463
Bozeman, MT

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 06:40 AM
トヨダ Master

Garage

Quote:
I have to admit that i was not familir with boones farm so i googled it. I figured it was something cheap but was curious so i googled it.

This is what like the first result said.
Drinking Boone's Farm is kind of like snorting glue, but in a bottle.

Im still laughing.

Yes great anaology.

And im working on getting more lights. And more cupholders.

Among 100 other things
I think that's the 1st thing I ever got sick drinking. My brother had some and he borrowed my grandma's '66 Ford Falcon and he drove it through a city park in the middle of the night and ran right into a tree. So my 1st experience with cheap wine and riding with a drunk driver, I learned 2 lessons that night. Actually 3 because my brother is still a moron.

R.I.P.- Echo

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

@CabinCruiser i saw that you werre interested in doing the Rubicon at some point. Just so you know one of the local club guys here has done it like three times and is planning on going again this summer in June. Hes a local here now, and their might be a convoy heading down there this year, But hes in an 80. Im trying to talk myself into it but its pretty crazy. Might make it this year, Might not happen till next year. I dont know that i will have my rig built quite up to what it should be. My father in law would probaly go if i did, if he gets his new 3xLexus ready in time.

But the rubithon wagon run is a great time for people new to the rubicon as they spot you and are there to help. ITs a TLCA offical event, dont know if youve seeen it or not. They got a 5 gen 4r with 33's and coilovers through last year but there were some people that were annoyed at how many times the had to winch him and they stacked ALOT of rocks. You would be driving with purpose built rigs, biut not BUGGYS and they manuver around the crazy stuff. Relativly speaking. IDK if youvve heard of it or seen it.

Worth looking into. Thats why i want the LOW LOW transfer case. For the rubicon. Its hard hanging with 80 series guys all the time. Anyone esle interested???

TLCA #24463
Bozeman, MT

post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 AM
トヨダ Master

Garage

Quote:
@CabinCruiser i saw that you werre interested in doing the Rubicon at some point. Just so you know one of the local club guys here has done it like three times and is planning on going again this summer in June. Hes a local here now, and their might be a convoy heading down there this year, But hes in an 80. Im trying to talk myself into it but its pretty crazy. Might make it this year, Might not happen till next year. I dont know that i will have my rig built quite up to what it should be. My father in law would probaly go if i did, if he gets his new 3xLexus ready in time.

But the rubithon wagon run is a great time for people new to the rubicon as they spot you and are there to help. ITs a TLCA offical event, dont know if youve seeen it or not. They got a 5 gen 4r with 33's and coilovers through last year but there were some people that were annoyed at how many times the had to winch him and they stacked ALOT of rocks. You would be driving with purpose built rigs, biut not BUGGYS and they manuver around the crazy stuff. Relativly speaking. IDK if youvve heard of it or seen it.

Worth looking into. Thats why i want the LOW LOW transfer case. For the rubicon. Its hard hanging with 80 series guys all the time. Anyone esle interested???
The 'Con is nothing new to me, but think it would be a lot more difficult in an FJ. I used to do the rock crawling thing and have in my later years been more interested in traveling, exploring, and meeting like minded individuals. There's a club here who've been planning a 'Con run for the last few years but not everyone's schedule has lined up as most do the yearly Moab thing when they have vacation time from work. In all honesty, I think I'd rather just go with some FJ folks, as I know I'm not going to be hanging with the 40+ tire size group. Nothing against TLCA as I once was a member and have always been a lover of all things Toyota 4X4. Also, with a large group, it sort of becomes a hassle just getting through the trail sometimes and even late into the night occasionally by the time you get everyone through. I wrench for a living, so I don't want to do it all day and night. Not that I wouldn't be there to help though.

R.I.P.- Echo

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
The 'Con is nothing new to me, but think it would be a lot more difficult in an FJ. I used to do the rock crawling thing and have in my later years been more interested in traveling, exploring, and meeting like minded individuals. There's a club here who've been planning a 'Con run for the last few years but not everyone's schedule has lined up as most do the yearly Moab thing when they have vacation time from work. In all honesty, I think I'd rather just go with some FJ folks, as I know I'm not going to be hanging with the 40+ tire size group. Nothing against TLCA as I once was a member and have always been a lover of all things Toyota 4X4. Also, with a large group, it sort of becomes a hassle just getting through the trail sometimes and even late into the night occasionally by the time you get everyone through. I wrench for a living, so I don't want to do it all day and night. Not that I wouldn't be there to help though.

alright! some one to fix me when i break! My mechanical skills are seriously lacking. i helped put a lift on (hey hand me that socket over there) and fixed my parking brake. id change my oil if i had time, but it always seems to need it when there is a trail ride that weekend or something.

I'm trying to talk myself into it. but yeah, it would be hard(er) in an FJ, especially a 3 pedal. But its defiantly on my bucket list. Don't know if the timeline will work for this year. we will see it the 80 crowd here doesn't convert me by the time i can get to go do it. Another summer of wheelin' is probably in my best interest. Im still fairly new to the game, certainly "rock crawlin"

How many times you been to Moab? im taking a week off in mid april and was going to start planning a trip somewhere. Moab is on the list, but i dont know to much about the area. Was going to start asking around. going to keep it mellow since my wife is going and she hasnt really gone on any ride as of yet. at least not the fun ones.

TLCA #24463
Bozeman, MT

Last edited by ttfjc; 11-13-2017 at 08:15 AM.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 08:31 AM
トヨダ Master

Garage

Quote:
alright! some one to fix me when i break! My mechanical skills are seriously lacking. i helped put a lift on (hey hand me that socket over there) and fixed my parking brake. id change my oil if i had time, but it always seems to need it when there is a trail ride that weekend or something.

I'm trying to talk myself into it. but yeah, it would be hard(er) in an FJ, especially a 3 pedal. But its defiantly on my bucket list. Don't know if the timeline will work for this year. we will see it the 80 crowd here doesn't convert me by the time i can get to go do it. Another summer of wheelin' is probably in my best interest. Im still fairly new to the game, certainly "rock crawlin"

How many times you been to Moab? im taking a week off in mid april and was going to start planning a trip somewhere. Moab is on the list, but i dont know to much about the area. Was going to start asking around. going to keep it mellow since my wife is going and she hasnt really gone on any ride as of yet. at least not the fun ones.
Gotta check out the events schedules as Moab is pretty hot from March through May. Easter Jeep Safari is March 24th-April 1st and the Toyota guys are usually right behind them. Looks like May 2nd-7th this year. I prefer the spring stuff in Moab as the weather is perfect for me and not too hot. Been twice in my lifetime but there's no limit to how many times a person can go is there?

Moab 2017/2018 Calendar of Events - Get up-to-date Moab event information from the official tourism website for Moab, Utah.

Cruise Moab - Toyota 4x4 event in Moab, UT
ttfjc likes this.

R.I.P.- Echo

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Runs/Get-Togethers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in