Second Annual Alumni FJ Summit - Page 15 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Runs/Get-Togethers Going offroad? Post it up here!

166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 172 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Re: Second Annual Alumni FJ Summit

Iíll have to put a stopwatch on Bob. Maybe heís forgotten I have an A-frame too.

Brian sorry to here about your joints bothering like that. But I think we all have some kind of related issues. Itís called aging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rotorhed1 likes this.

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 172 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I don't have any pins on my step, and I don't use it to put the roof up. I have flipped the axle and it sets higher than a stock trailer. I just open the side door and lift the door up and over, put the passenger side up, 1 lever, lift the driver side, one lever and it is done.

I don't remember my earlier trailers being much different, both of them were Chalets, this one is a Rockwood. I am not sure the quality is equal to the Chalet, but you know me. I like the torsion axles.

And on the aches and pains, all of us are having them or getting them rotorhead. I have more trouble with my eyes, glaucoma, dry eye syndrome, and allergies make for a wonderful day. Hurt my back four years ago bowling. SI joint out. Has never been right since.

Maybe the springs pool in Ouray will still be open. We can all just soak in the hot water and talk about past trips. lol

Have been thinking about a fat bike Ace, but just nothing here to test or ride. They don't stock or order them here. Maybe down on the coast. Talked with a dealer in Phoenix and they had three on the floor, nothing but base entry stuff it appeared to me. He did tell me I needed at least a front fork. What are your thoughst on it again. I know we talked a little about them, and that you love yours. I just need something to ride around my lake course. I can not afford to replace/rebuild the fork and shock every 6 weeks. They keep wearing out and then Fox has them for two weeks. The course is like cobble stones and they claim it was not designed for that. I have top of the line stuff and have upgraded every year until last year. I am hoping the fat bike with a shock/fork would survive it better. I need to get my lard ass back on the bike, and put the trains away for the summer..
rotorhed1 and Thorn661 like this.
post #143 of 172 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:19 PM
Forum Superstar

Bob, there are very few full suspension fat bikes being made that Iím aware of. Trek, Salsa, Bomber, Lamere, Framed, Lenz and more are some found by googling full suspension fatbikes. Many are small builders and will build whatever you want but most are pricy.

Go to a Facebook group called fat bike trader and do a search. You might happen on a deal.

Yes! Get back on that bike.

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 172 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:27 AM
Forum Superstar

I don't get on Facebook. I will just keep looking. I am not concerned about full suspension, but think I need a front fork for sure. I rode one with out suspension for three days, about 2 years ago. Mid level bike, but after three days my back was killing me. Decided against it. Will give it another shot next week if I can find anything. I am more or less forced to ride a Trek. A close friend owns a Trek shop. He has gotten me great deals on all of my bikes over the last 15 years. He would be pissed if I showed up with something he didn't carry I think. It looks like Trek was able to keep the Farley name. They are still advertising them. I thought there was some kind of law suit about it.
post #145 of 172 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:46 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
skersfan previously said: View Post
I don't get on Facebook. I will just keep looking. I am not concerned about full suspension, but think I need a front fork for sure. I rode one with out suspension for three days, about 2 years ago. Mid level bike, but after three days my back was killing me. Decided against it. Will give it another shot next week if I can find anything. I am more or less forced to ride a Trek. A close friend owns a Trek shop. He has gotten me great deals on all of my bikes over the last 15 years. He would be pissed if I showed up with something he didn't carry I think. It looks like Trek was able to keep the Farley name. They are still advertising them. I thought there was some kind of law suit about it.

Your back was hurting on a hardtail. Even a stubborn old leatherneck should be able to tell rear suspension matters. Because your stuck with Trek that leaves only one bike to choose: the Farley EX 8.0. The EX 9.8, which is what Iím riding now, is frame only.

post #146 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:42 AM
Forum Superstar

My dealer is totally against me getting it. He says I will never be happy with it. He says racers never change. I haven't been into racing for quite awhile, other than the senior games. Too damned old to race with 45 and above. Could still do it at 60, but not a chance any more.

Ace will you be in the area mid June. I will be there for 4 or 5 days with a friend from Indiana. We will ride the train and then do trails near Ouary on the 15th and 16th. Hope some will be open.
post #147 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to FJREBELGIRL Send a message via Yahoo to FJREBELGIRL

I am super interested in this trip as I think I am having to bow out of Summit. However I have only been there once for last Summit. I love the idea of camping and trailing all week there in Ouray!!! Can you advise if there will be snow in the higher elevations? So if you're cool with a one time Summiter tagging along could you please give me actual dates camping so I can work out my vacation time with work as I am in WA and will need time to get there

Thank you

Muddy Misty
I am a whiskey drinking, boot stomping, four wheeling, mud bogging, night swimming, truck riding, gun shooting, country girlÖ
post #148 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
FJREBELGIRL previously said: View Post
I am super interested in this trip as I think I am having to bow out of Summit. However I have only been there once for last Summit. I love the idea of camping and trailing all week there in Ouray!!! Can you advise if there will be snow in the higher elevations? So if you're cool with a one time Summiter tagging along could you please give me actual dates camping so I can work out my vacation time with work as I am in WA and will need time to get there

Thank you

Sure youíd be welcome. Dan will be starting a new thread for the Third Annual and will post the dates then. Very hard to say about snow. Watch for a new thread soon.

Ace

rotorhed1 likes this.

post #149 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to FJREBELGIRL Send a message via Yahoo to FJREBELGIRL

Ok thank you I will request the 12th - 24th and back it down once known.

Muddy Misty
I am a whiskey drinking, boot stomping, four wheeling, mud bogging, night swimming, truck riding, gun shooting, country girlÖ
post #150 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)

I will have to see what's going on as it gets nearer. I just need to find a good enclosed dog bed for Phoenix, I think that's the answer. Just her jacket may not be enough with her short thin fur coat. But she really enjoys camping.

Just for kicks I looked at renting a trailer. Most of the small ones are around $100 / day. There was one teardrop for $55, but I'm not driving to Albuquerque to get it. So tent or the FJ if I make it.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Runs/Get-Togethers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in