Second Annual Alumni FJ Summit - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Runs/Get-Togethers Going offroad? Post it up here!

166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via MSN to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Yahoo to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Skype™ to TrueGritCruzr
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Second Annual Alumni FJ Summit

Last year I proposed we have an alumni FJ summit and then hurt my back and ended up missing the whole thing. It did happen without me but I want to try again so I, and others, can enjoy the fall beauty of the western slope. As last year the following logistics will be in effect:

THIS WILL NOT BE AN EVENT LIKE THE FJ SUMMIT. There will be no headquarters, no meals, no directors, no organized runs, no trail leaders, no volunteers, no vendors, and no raffle.

What this is is just a date on the calendar and a thread where like minded people who have been to previous Summit's but no longer attend for various reasons can show up in Ouray with the reasonable expectation they can see some old friends they have not seen for a while.
For the dates of this non-event I have chosen the week of September 17. This is peak fall color season on the western slope so instead of wild flowers the draw will be golden aspens and fall colors. All of the regular trails you know and love will still be open but you will experience only about a third of the traffic as most of younger tourists with school age children will be back at home. The towns will also be much less crowded. We can also explore trails that are not part of the regular FJ Summit.

I would like to have a nice group camp site and camp and am open to suggestion as to where this campsite should be. Of course camping is optional and your are welcome to make your own arrangement for accomodations.

If this week is not good I am willing to be flexible if there is consensus that a near week would be better.

If this sounds interesting to you sign up below and I will try to maintain a list here at the top of who is coming and when. We can also use this thread to plan un-organized get togethers and trail runs but everyone is pretty much on their own to do as they please and of course be responsible for themselves.

Ace Brown - maybe
Danny Fyffe - 1 night
Rotorhed
Bob Brown
rotorhed1, IDFJ, Thorn661 and 1 others like this.

Thanks,
Dan
KD0VVS

Last edited by TrueGritCruzr; 08-07-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Re: Second Annual Alumni FJ Summit

I hope I can but September is already pretty full for me. Iíll try and work in at least part of the week. How about checking on a group site at Ridgway SP?

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #3 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 10:39 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)

I plan to be there in the area probably around the 19th or 20th of September. May only stay one night, but not sure. My goal is to be there for Fall color. So put me down at least. Thanks for the offer and thread.
TrueGritCruzr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 11:12 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)

It's only a 3 hour drive for me. Camping would be cool. It would be just me and the pooch.
post #5 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 11:25 PM
Forum Superstar

The Portland Meadow would be good for a group site except for two problems: getting up the rough road would be challenging for any trailers bigger than typical off-road units. Also itís become too popular and often occupied. But probably no weddings in September.

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #6 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via MSN to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Yahoo to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Skype™ to TrueGritCruzr
(Thread Starter)

Ridgway State Park has three group facilities that go for $40 a day but I was thinking we could boon dock camp at Ironton Park or vicinity if everyone is okay with that.

Is Portland Meadows where we camp for Summit? If so that is closer to town but as you as say is pretty rough for anyone with a big RV or trailer.

What about some of the campgrounds on Yankee Boy Basin? It shouldnít be too crowded this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks,
Dan
KD0VVS
post #7 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 03:28 PM
Forum Superstar

Second Annual Alumni FJ Summit

Quote:
TrueGritCruzr previously said: View Post
Ridgway State Park has three group facilities that go for $40 a day but I was thinking we could boon dock camp at Ironton Park or vicinity if everyone is okay with that.

Is Portland Meadows where we camp for Summit? If so that is closer to town but as you as say is pretty rough for anyone with a big RV or trailer.

What about some of the campgrounds on Yankee Boy Basin? It shouldnít be too crowded this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I donít like Ironton cause its too far from Ouray. Need to be closer to the good restaurants.

I think the meadow would be better because of closeness to town. If someone brings a big RV they can camp in town.

I am pretty sure the first cg up YBB has no group sites and itís a poor cg anyway. The next one on the left is better but I donít think there are any group sites. Iíll look into that.

Ace

Last edited by Ace Brown; 08-06-2018 at 03:44 PM.
post #8 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

I plan on attending and will bring my pop up. See no reason it can't get to Ace's private bear park.

Ridgeway is fine with me to. Ironton maybe a little farther out from town, but closer to more trails? I would guess Dan wants to use his new trailer. I would most likely hang around for the week, but would like to go down to Pagosa and see what is around there.
post #9 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:33 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)

Quote:
Ace Brown previously said: View Post
I donít like Ironton cause its too far from Ouray. Need to be closer to the good restaurants.

I think the meadow would be better because of closeness to town. If someone brings a big RV they can camp in town.

I am pretty sure the first cg up YBB has no group sites and itís a poor cg anyway. The next one on the left is better but I donít think there are any group sites. Iíll look into that.

Ace

Restaurants? You mean we're not going to kill something for dinner?
Ace Brown and CabinCruiser like this.
post #10 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

I know the bears are hunting Ace, but pretty sure he is way to tough for them!
FJess likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Runs/Get-Togethers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in