2019 Moab B4 Summit - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Runs/Get-Togethers Going offroad? Post it up here!

93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Re: 2019 Moab B4 Summit

As many times as I've been to Moab over the last 13 years to go 4-wheeling with groups that included lots of FJ Cruisers, the worst instances of damage I've witnessed included CV's and Tie-rod end's (well, other than a 3rd Gen. 4-Runner rolling over on it's side on Hell's Gate, a 1st Gen. 4-Runner rolling over on it's side on Moab Rim and yet another 1st Gen. 4-Runner rolling over completely on Moab Rim.......the latter two instances being very heavily modified 1st Gen's). In each instance that resulted in a CV or a Tie-rod being damaged, it was driver error that caused the problem (almost inevitably too much throttle on tough obstacles). For that reason, if you don't have much experience, it's pretty essential that someone that does possess a great deal of experience be there to verbally walk you through what you're about to experience and then spot you up or down whatever obstacle you're attempting. Have them go over in detail with you why they've chosen whatever line it is they'll be spotting you on for that particular obstacle and commit it to memory.

Jim

Last edited by Jim_D; 03-08-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:56 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Jim_D previously said: View Post
As many times as I've been to Moab over the last 13 years to go 4-wheeling with groups that included lots of FJ Cruisers, the worst instances of damage I've witnessed included CV's and Tie-rod end's (well, other than a 3rd Gen. 4-Runner rolling over on it's side on Hell's Gate, a 1st Gen. 4-Runner rolling over on it's side on Moab Rim and yet another 1st Gen. 4-Runner rolling over completely on Moab Rim.......the latter two instances being very heavily modified 1st Gen's). In each instance that resulted in a CV or a Tie-rod being damaged, it was driver error that caused the problem (almost inevitably too much throttle on tough obstacles). For that reason, if you don't have much experience, it's pretty essential that someone that does possess a great deal of experience be there to verbally walk you through what you're about to experience and then spot you up or down whatever obstacle you're attempting. Have them go over in detail with you why they've chosen whatever line it is they'll be spotting you on for that particular obstacle and commit it to memory.
Agreed, tie rods, CVs but also tires!! Curious where on Moab Rim those rollovers occurred...Devils Crack or Z Turn?
Thorn661 likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Curious where on Moab Rim those rollovers occurred
The first rollover (onto it's side) was after you hit the top and go cross-country a-ways. I'll post a picture of where it occurred and you'll probably recognize the spot. The water in that particular hole disguises how deep it is and with the ledge on the left of it (heading the direction he was) if you're not straddling the hole this is what will occur. The other rollover (different trip) was on the way down and happened just before you get to the Z-Turn. The guy it happened to was at the back of the group (I was in front) and nobody saw what happened. He rolled 2 or 3 times but managed to stop before he hit the cliff edge. We actually got him back up on 4 wheels and he drove the rest of the way down (he was the same guy that rolled his 4-Runner on Hell's Gate). I've posted a picture of that as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rim-01.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	1070824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hell's-12.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	1070826  
AMMO461, debFJVT, Thorn661 and 1 others like this.

Jim

Last edited by Jim_D; 03-08-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:49 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Garage

Quote:
The first rollover (onto it's side) was after you hit the top and go cross-country a-ways. I'll post a picture of where it occurred and you'll probably recognize the spot. The water in that particular hole disguises how deep it is and with the ledge on the left of it (heading the direction he was) if you're not straddling the hole this is what will occur. The other rollover (different trip) was on the way down and happened just before you get to the Z-Turn. The guy it happened to was at the back of the group (I was in front) and nobody saw what happened. He rolled 2 or 3 times but managed to stop before he hit the cliff edge. We actually got him back up on 4 wheels and he drove the rest of the way down (he was the same guy that rolled his 4-Runner on Hell's Gate). I've posted a picture of that as well.
I do remember those holes! I was suspicious of them and guided my group on the bypass. Thatís weird he rolled on the downhill approach to Z Turn....nothing major there, but being off camber not a place to tip over. Have you ever heard of anyone rolling off the cliff at, say, Devils Crack? It mustíve happened sometime. Thatís an obstacle where every inch and every degree of throttle control counts. But what a gorgeous trail...
Thorn661 and jamesepoop like this.

TLCA# 25170
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:36 PM
Forum Superstar

I've never actually heard of anyone going over the edge of the cliff next to the Devil's Crack but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Moab Rim is probably my favorite trail there. I can't remember how many times I've done it but I've always enjoyed the experience. Did you do the alternate route on the way back down? It takes off to the right not all that far from the turnaround as you head back. A lot of people don't know about it but it's a lot if fun. If you look across the river when you're on Moab Rim you see the dome on the south and east ends of Poison Spider. There's a mountain bike trail that traverses the cliff starting on the north end of the dome eventually dropping all the way back down to the highway. It's called the Portal Trail and if you've ever done it on a mountain bike there's no 4-wheel trail in existence that will come anywhere close to scaring the crap out of you like it does. More than a few people have died attempting it.
Thorn661 likes this.

Jim

Last edited by Jim_D; 03-10-2019 at 10:57 PM.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:51 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Garage

Quote:
I've never actually heard of anyone going over the edge of the cliff next to the Devil's Crack but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Moab Rim is probably my favorite trail there. I can't remember how many times I've done it but I've always enjoyed the experience. Did you do the alternate route on the way back down? It takes off to the right not all that far from the turnaround as you head back. A lot of people don't know about it but it's a lot if fun. If you look across the river when you're on Moab Rim you see the dome on the south and east ends of Poison Spider. There's a mountain bike trail that traverses the cliff starting on the north end of the dome and eventually dropping all the way back down to the highway. It's called the Portal Trail and if you've ever done it on a mountain bike there's no 4-wheel trail in existence that will come anywhere close as it does to scaring the crap out of you. More than a few people have died attempting it.
I didnít think we were allowed to drive full size rigs on the Portal trail. Took the group up to the trailhead and turned around from there. Didnít take the alt route back as we had to leave one rig back at the Z Turn with a leaking rear diff...still sad I missed that part as it sounded fun, with sandy washes. That area right up there is extraordinary...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9952FF95-8147-4847-BE59-DDE17E6E5B78.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	1070850  
Thorn661 likes this.

TLCA# 25170
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

I think that there would be not much to talk about if you rolled off the edge . could you imagine driving down that road and having a car falling out of the sky in front of you .

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:57 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Firemedic831 previously said: View Post
Man all this talk of camping in Luxury vacation homes , staying at 5 star resorts, having Brunch at the golf coarse has me thinking i am going on a Jeepers Jamboree . This is exciting lol
Glamping gear for me and kiddo at Jambo, testing my new generator on a 12,000 Btu AC. Works like a damn dream! I can deal with 80 degrees at night, ain’t chit in fact but humidity blows.

I’m bringing his electric motorcycle too for our super secret campsite, this is gonna be a fawking blast!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C358160E-A6BF-45BC-844F-A73F8EEF2731.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	1070852   Click image for larger version

Name:	84243469-AD36-4B8D-80E5-4B41ACB56CEF.png
Views:	5
Size:	474.6 KB
ID:	1070854  

Last edited by Thorn661; 03-09-2019 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Photo didn’t attach
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

You have a Alta ?

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:21 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Firemedic831 previously said: View Post
You have a Alta ?
Wtf is that? Lol

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Runs/Get-Togethers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in