Third Annual Alumni FJ Summit - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Runs/Get-Togethers Going offroad? Post it up here!

98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via MSN to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Yahoo to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Skype™ to TrueGritCruzr
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Re: Third Annual Alumni FJ Summit

Quote:
rotorhed1 previously said: View Post
My retirement $ is going away. I will need to work again. Wichita has hundreds or jobs right now. It is the aviation capital of the USA. And the cost of housing is way cheap.

Just a few years and I can own a nice place and I have my eye on a new car too. The FJ has 120k on it, I just looked at the new Corolla hatchback.

I have flown through Kansas a couple of times. Spent the night in Wichita. Lots of good thunderstorms, which I like.

Then when I am done with all of that I can move to Walsenburg CO and get that small house to live out my days. I have lived here for 17 years. I need a major change.

Side note. I was in Durango Friday. The Animas River was really flowing. As high as I've ever seen, and muddy too. Even in Farmington the river after where the Animas joins the San Juan is high and muddy brown.

Thatís a bummer about the retirement money.

I can understand why Kansas would be a good place for aviation since the entire state is essentially a potential runway. :-)

Whatever you and up doing be sure to stay in touch.

Per my trail report from yesterday I saw a lot of rivers running high and a lot of snow still up there so I expect this will get worse before it gets better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rotorhed1 and Thorn661 like this.

Thanks,
Dan
KD0VVS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

We still have a major road closed here, and water still in the water crossings. I can't imagine having 670 percent of normal snow and it not causing a lot of problems. I was worried about the train ride as it follows one of the creeks all the way up. Getting ready to pick up the grand monster and head that way. Dan you should try and come down and ride the train up with us on Wednesday. A single should be pretty easy to get I would think. Either way will be in Ouray on Thursday-Saturday. Looking forward to seeing you. Guess I will have to catch up with you at the Summit. Rotor, we may drive down to Farmington one day, not sure. I have a kid that used to race for me living in Farmington. Might try to stop and see him for an afternoon.
rotorhed1 likes this.
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)

Follow up, moving.

Wichita has been the home of aviation for a century. Piper, Beechcraft, Cessna and Boeing Military are all there. They are all owned by conglomerates now. The cost of living would allow me to do a lot, there's a house with a 3 car garage and a 1500 square for house above it for $60k.

I would do what I did years ago when I was living in AZ. Ouray, Silverton and so on were places that I would go on vacation.
Thorn661 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via MSN to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Yahoo to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Skype™ to TrueGritCruzr
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
skersfan previously said: View Post
Dan you should try and come down and ride the train up with us on Wednesday. A single should be pretty easy to get I would think. Either way will be in Ouray on Thursday-Saturday.

Sounds like fun but I canít afford to take too much time off from work right now. Trying to complete some projects prior to my retirement. I do plan to play a little hooky on Thursday and Friday when you get up this way.

Thanks,
Dan
KD0VVS
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
TrueGritCruzr previously said: View Post
... Trying to complete some projects prior to my retirement...
More power to you. When I retire, I’m just going to stop showing up. If they notice and call, I’ll tell ‘em to bite me

Dan
TrueGritCruzr likes this.
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)

Quote:
TrueGritCruzr previously said: View Post
Thatís a bummer about the retirement money.

I can understand why Kansas would be a good place for aviation since the entire state is essentially a potential runway. :-)

Whatever you and up doing be sure to stay in touch.

Per my trail report from yesterday I saw a lot of rivers running high and a lot of snow still up there so I expect this will get worse before it gets better.

Yuk, yuk about the runway.

Brian are you going to stick around for the reunion before heading to tornado alley?

Just passed through Grand Junction and the Colorado is higher than Iíve even seen it. It was over the bike path but I couldnít judge how far from the highway. I heard one old timer say it will be close to the levels seen in 1983. I wasnít here then, so I have no idea how high it was, but worth looking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Forum Superstar

Same here. The water is flowing.

I am looking forward to hanging out with people and a good clearing of my head. Of course my girl Phoenix will be happy to get some rubs.
TrueGritCruzr and Thorn661 like this.
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Lots to talk about around the fire. I will leave the thermite (sp?) at home, wink, wink nudge nudge, say no more.

Maybe some others this year? Phoenix would like that. Maybe I can get the air mattress working, or just sleep in the car again.
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

The San Juan River near 4 corners was rocking and rolling. Filled all the way across this morning. Headed to Durango in the morning, have heard it is near flooding in Durango. No real idea yet, better idea tomorrow,. Riding the train Wednesday and riding the bus back from Silverton. Will do some looking around the area on Thursday on our way to Ouray.
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:03 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)

Quote:
skersfan previously said: View Post
The San Juan River near 4 corners was rocking and rolling. Filled all the way across this morning. Headed to Durango in the morning, have heard it is near flooding in Durango. No real idea yet, better idea tomorrow,. Riding the train Wednesday and riding the bus back from Silverton. Will do some looking around the area on Thursday on our way to Ouray.

I just saw a post from a friend checking out the Ouray area. He called it ďreal badĒ. Guess he was seeing the same damage that Dan reported. I may have to drive over there next week to see for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TrueGritCruzr and skersfan like this.

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Runs/Get-Togethers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in