Third Annual Alumni FJ Summit - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trail Runs/Get-Togethers Going offroad? Post it up here!

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via MSN to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Yahoo to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Skype™ to TrueGritCruzr
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Third Annual Alumni FJ Summit

Here it is the long awaited, much demanded thread for the third annual alumni summit. As last year the following logistics will be in effect:

THIS WILL NOT BE AN EVENT LIKE THE FJ SUMMIT. There will be no headquarters, no meals, no directors, no organized runs, no trail leaders, no volunteers, no vendors, and no raffle.

What this is is just a date on the calendar and a thread where like minded people who have been to previous Summit's but no longer attend for various reasons can show up in Ouray with the reasonable expectation they can see some old friends they have not seen for a while.

For the dates of this non-event I have chosen the week of September 15. This is peak fall color season on the western slope so instead of wild flowers the draw will be golden aspens and fall colors. All of the regular trails you know and love will still be open but you will experience only about a third of the traffic as most of younger tourists with school age children will be back at home. The towns will also be much less crowded. We can also explore trails that are not part of the regular FJ Summit.

I think the Mineral Creek Campground just north of Silverton worked out very well last year and I suggest we use it again unless someone has a better idea. Of course camping is optional and your are welcome to make your own arrangement for accomodations.

If this week is not good I am willing to be flexible if there is consensus that a near week would be better.

If this sounds interesting to you sign up below and I will try to maintain a list here at the top of who is coming and when. We can also use this thread to plan un-organized get togethers and trail runs but everyone is pretty much on their own to do as they please and of course be responsible for themselves.
Thorn661 and Mulie like this.

Thanks,
Dan
KD0VVS

Last edited by TrueGritCruzr; 05-11-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Re: A

I wonít be able to attend the week of September 15 as I will be on a Retired Olí Farts Run in the Maze about September 17-25. Kenda and I will miss yíall. Actually Kenda would prefer I go on your trip so she wonít be stuck in a kennel while Iím in the Maze. I hate to leave her there but no dogs allowed, and Iíve wanted to do the Maze for years.

Dan have you tried to edit the title since that last go around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via MSN to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Yahoo to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Skype™ to TrueGritCruzr
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Ace Brown previously said: View Post
I wonít be able to attend the week of September 15 as I will be on a Retired Olí Farts Run in the Maze about September 17-25. Kenda and I will miss yíall. Actually Kenda would prefer I go on your trip so she wonít be stuck in a kennel while Iím in the Maze. I hate to leave her there but no dogs allowed, and Iíve wanted to do the Maze for years.

Dan have you tried to edit the title since that last go around?

Understood. I want to do the Maze some day too so donít blame you.

I didnít fix the title but looks like someone did. I think only Administrators can change the thread title.

Looks like we have everything fixed so those that can come start signing up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks,
Dan
KD0VVS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
TrueGritCruzr previously said: View Post
Understood. I want to do the Maze some day too so donít blame you.

I didnít fix the title but looks like someone did. I think only Administrators can change the thread title.

Looks like we have everything fixed so those that can come start signing up.

Actually you can edit the title (next time). When you hit edit it asks if you want to edit title or body.

If folks gather for the first weekend I might be able to come down for a visit before heading to the Maze. Kenda would like that better too.

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Third Annual Alumni FJ Summit

Once you create the thread go back and edit your first post, but you have to be in ADVANCED mode...
TrueGritCruzr likes this.

Jade -- 2013 Army Green AT Crawl -- US Offroad Winch Mount / Warn 10K synthetic -- BMC -- Light Racing Upper Control Arms -- Bilstein 6112 / OME rear springs / Bilstein 5100 -- Metal-Tech Red Eye Rear Bumper -- URD Stainless Exhaust -- Cooper STT Pro LT285/70R17 E / Factory Alloys -- Smittybilt Nerf Bars -- Diode Dynamics / Light Bar / HID / LEDS -- Springtail Solutions Side Rack -- Ellis Precision - Goodies -- Cobra 75 WX ST / Bandi / 3' Firefly -- Front Runner Storage Drawer

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)
Third Annual Alumni FJ Summit

Quote:
Actually you can edit the title (next time). When you hit edit it asks if you want to edit title or body.

If folks gather for the first weekend I might be able to come down for a visit before heading to the Maze. Kenda would like that better too.

Iím sure I will be there starting Saturday but canít speak for others coming from further away.

I am afraid if we try to move it earlier it might be too early to catch the fall colors. We were just at the beginning last year. If anything we should move it later but letís leave it be for now until we get more feedback.

The leaves donít last long either. One good wind storm can strip them bare in 24 hours. Timing is important. As we get closer the local weather teams will start predicting prime leave peeping times for the region.

Thanks,
Dan
KD0VVS

Last edited by TrueGritCruzr; 05-11-2019 at 10:32 PM.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)

As of now I don't have any idea where I'll be or what I will be doing at that time. I would like to be there, if just for a couple of days to sit around and tell stories of how good we used to be.

My best friend is thinking of coming this way from Coeur D'Alene sometime. We kinda want to set up an HF radio just to see what we can do. I know that there are other hams attending. I have a 10 meter dipole or just a long wire in the trees.

A kayak trip to Clear Lake would be fun.

My dog would love to play with Kenda but she will make friends with any person or dog there.

The place we were at last year was very good. Plenty of space, close to town and a pit toilet.

That's mu $0.02
TrueGritCruzr and skersfan like this.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
TrueGritCruzr previously said: View Post
Iím sure I will be there starting Saturday but canít speak for others coming from further away.

I am afraid if we try to move it earlier it might be too early to catch the fall colors. We were just at the beginning last year. If anything we should move it later but letís leave it be for now until we get more feedback.

The leaves donít last long either. One good wind storm can strip them bare in 24 hours. Timing is important. As we get closer the local weather teams will start predicting prime leave peeing times for the region.

ďLeaf peeingĒ. Thatís an odd concept.

Leave the dates wherever works best. If I can stop by before or after Iíll be cool with whatever fits.

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ďLeaf peeingĒ. Thatís an odd concept.

Leave the dates wherever works best. If I can stop by before or after Iíll be cool with whatever fits.

Oops! Fixed it. Thanks.

Thanks,
Dan
KD0VVS
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)

Question. Are there any rules as to whom I may invite to join? A couple of friends from grade school to high school have done Imogene a week before the Summit 5 years ago? But it is not likely that they would be able to get there from where they live and to bring a tent + sleeping bags.

My best friend was with me at a Summit and ran Imogene, Ophir, Engineer, Cali, Corkcrew. He would be fun to tell stories with. Also another great friend Susan. She lives in Colorado Springs and would also fit in. She used to call me in the wee hours to tell me that an aircraft was broken. She worked communications in Phoenix and later with the Sheriff and SWAT.

So is it okay if I invite people? Likely it will be just me and the mutt.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Runs/Get-Togethers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in