Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Third Annual Alumni FJ Summit

17K views 180 replies 14 participants last post by  CabinCruiser 
#1 · (Edited)
Here it is the long awaited, much demanded thread for the third annual alumni summit. As last year the following logistics will be in effect:

THIS WILL NOT BE AN EVENT LIKE THE FJ SUMMIT. There will be no headquarters, no meals, no directors, no organized runs, no trail leaders, no volunteers, no vendors, and no raffle.

What this is is just a date on the calendar and a thread where like minded people who have been to previous Summit's but no longer attend for various reasons can show up in Ouray with the reasonable expectation they can see some old friends they have not seen for a while.​

For the dates of this non-event I have chosen the week of September 15. This is peak fall color season on the western slope so instead of wild flowers the draw will be golden aspens and fall colors. All of the regular trails you know and love will still be open but you will experience only about a third of the traffic as most of younger tourists with school age children will be back at home. The towns will also be much less crowded. We can also explore trails that are not part of the regular FJ Summit.

I think the Mineral Creek Campground just north of Silverton worked out very well last year and I suggest we use it again unless someone has a better idea. Of course camping is optional and your are welcome to make your own arrangement for accomodations.

If this week is not good I am willing to be flexible if there is consensus that a near week would be better.

If this sounds interesting to you sign up below and I will try to maintain a list here at the top of who is coming and when. We can also use this thread to plan un-organized get togethers and trail runs but everyone is pretty much on their own to do as they please and of course be responsible for themselves.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: A

I won’t be able to attend the week of September 15 as I will be on a Retired Ol’ Farts Run in the Maze about September 17-25. Kenda and I will miss y’all. Actually Kenda would prefer I go on your trip so she won’t be stuck in a kennel while I’m in the Maze. I hate to leave her there but no dogs allowed, and I’ve wanted to do the Maze for years.

Dan have you tried to edit the title since that last go around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Re: A

I won’t be able to attend the week of September 15 as I will be on a Retired Ol’ Farts Run in the Maze about September 17-25. Kenda and I will miss y’all. Actually Kenda would prefer I go on your trip so she won’t be stuck in a kennel while I’m in the Maze. I hate to leave her there but no dogs allowed, and I’ve wanted to do the Maze for years.

Dan have you tried to edit the title since that last go around?

Understood. I want to do the Maze some day too so don’t blame you.

I didn’t fix the title but looks like someone did. I think only Administrators can change the thread title.

Looks like we have everything fixed so those that can come start signing up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 ·
As of now I don't have any idea where I'll be or what I will be doing at that time. I would like to be there, if just for a couple of days to sit around and tell stories of how good we used to be.

My best friend is thinking of coming this way from Coeur D'Alene sometime. We kinda want to set up an HF radio just to see what we can do. I know that there are other hams attending. I have a 10 meter dipole or just a long wire in the trees.

A kayak trip to Clear Lake would be fun.

My dog would love to play with Kenda but she will make friends with any person or dog there.

The place we were at last year was very good. Plenty of space, close to town and a pit toilet.

That's mu $0.02

#10 ·
Question. Are there any rules as to whom I may invite to join? A couple of friends from grade school to high school have done Imogene a week before the Summit 5 years ago? But it is not likely that they would be able to get there from where they live and to bring a tent + sleeping bags.

My best friend was with me at a Summit and ran Imogene, Ophir, Engineer, Cali, Corkcrew. He would be fun to tell stories with. Also another great friend Susan. She lives in Colorado Springs and would also fit in. She used to call me in the wee hours to tell me that an aircraft was broken. She worked communications in Phoenix and later with the Sheriff and SWAT.

So is it okay if I invite people? Likely it will be just me and the mutt.

#12 ·
I'm interested. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Right now I have no idea what my work load will be like in September. I normally have off every other Friday, and Sept 20th is my off-Friday which is good. That means I should definitely be able to make the weekend of the 20th-22nd if I can't get off work earlier in the week.

#15 ·
I am thinking that we may be some of the first on the trails come September. 250% currently is what I have heard. 2 foot of snow this week past week.

I will be there the 12th of June. Anxious to see what it looks like.

Bob, I’ll doubt you will see much of the high country except though binoculars.

I’m busy June 14-16 but hope we can hook up for a visit while you’re here. Maybe Dan can join us.

#16 ·
That is what I was saying, being the first on the trails in September. I sure hope not, but if the jet stream does not move north soon it could be a lot of snow at the Summit. Either way I am going. They will figure something out I am sure.

We had snow night before last. What comes thru this area seems to hit the four corners area about a day or two later watching it on the weather.

Although they are forecasting normal temperatures starting this week, with highs near the 90's.

I am hoping that Last Dollar is open when we get to Ouray the 13th of June. We will only be in town two days, have to be at work on the 17th. Working at an old Lockheed missile site for a couple of days.

#17 ·
I came across Red Mountain Pass this evening on my way back from Pagosa Springs and it was snowing lightly. Still a lot of snow up there. Temperature right now is 34 here at the house so I am sure it is below freezing up there.

I should still be here when you get up here on the 13th or when ever. I have not tried exploring any roads including Last Dollar so not sure of the status. Owl Creek Pass might be another possibility to be open. Maybe I can do some exploring this coming weekend.

#20 ·
Well I am about 20 miles from Palm Springs, as the crow flies. Getting snow this late has not happened for the 28 years I have lived here.

Looks like we will miss you Ace.

Hopefully Dan will be in town and we get some pizza or something. I am sure we will be full of funnel cakes from Silverton before we get to Ouray!!! My gand daughter has never had them, so that should be fun.

Having the tires rotated, new brakes all the way around, rotors to. Aligned, cleaned and waxed. I guess every couple of years it needs to be washed and waxed after this long.

Any more word on weather/snow level and flooding expected?

#22 ·
Current Trail Report.

https://www.facebook.com/1775585416008279/posts/2461798807386933?sfns=mo

Bob, Last Dollar should be open by the time you get here but you should also consider Owl Creek Pass if you have never done it. It is open to the Summit and very nice. They used to film a bunch of old westerns up there. True Grit, the original John Wayne version, and How the West Was One were partially filmed up there. A lot of nice Aspen groves too.

#24 ·
I am thinking about leaving the FJ home for the June trip. May take the Canyon. Tows the trailer easier, and it sounds like not much is open. It is four wheel drive with auto rear lockers, making it just a little better than an old Volkswagen beetle. It is a joke for an off road vehicle for sure. But the horsepower for towing is very good. Plus much better mileage than the FJ.

#32 ·
We still have a major road closed here, and water still in the water crossings. I can't imagine having 670 percent of normal snow and it not causing a lot of problems. I was worried about the train ride as it follows one of the creeks all the way up. Getting ready to pick up the grand monster and head that way. Dan you should try and come down and ride the train up with us on Wednesday. A single should be pretty easy to get I would think. Either way will be in Ouray on Thursday-Saturday. Looking forward to seeing you. Guess I will have to catch up with you at the Summit. Rotor, we may drive down to Farmington one day, not sure. I have a kid that used to race for me living in Farmington. Might try to stop and see him for an afternoon.

#34 ·
Dan you should try and come down and ride the train up with us on Wednesday. A single should be pretty easy to get I would think. Either way will be in Ouray on Thursday-Saturday.

Sounds like fun but I can’t afford to take too much time off from work right now. Trying to complete some projects prior to my retirement. I do plan to play a little hooky on Thursday and Friday when you get up this way.

#33 ·
Follow up, moving.

Wichita has been the home of aviation for a century. Piper, Beechcraft, Cessna and Boeing Military are all there. They are all owned by conglomerates now. The cost of living would allow me to do a lot, there's a house with a 3 car garage and a 1500 square for house above it for $60k.

I would do what I did years ago when I was living in AZ. Ouray, Silverton and so on were places that I would go on vacation.

#39 ·
The San Juan River near 4 corners was rocking and rolling. Filled all the way across this morning. Headed to Durango in the morning, have heard it is near flooding in Durango. No real idea yet, better idea tomorrow,. Riding the train Wednesday and riding the bus back from Silverton. Will do some looking around the area on Thursday on our way to Ouray.

#40 ·
I just saw a post from a friend checking out the Ouray area. He called it “real bad”. Guess he was seeing the same damage that Dan reported. I may have to drive over there next week to see for myself.

#42 ·
We are riding the train tomorrow, according to the Durango Railroad people, the water is washing over the tracks in some areas and they are making canals to ensure the train still runs. There is concern about how much longer it will be open. It is near flood stage in Durango I guess. The water is the highest I have ever seen it in my 25 years of coming to this area.

Will not get to Ouray until Thursday afternoon. I am concerned from what I have seen so far, a large heat wave like is hitting Socall right now and who knows what could happen.

I know the train ran up and back today, we go at 930 in the morning with a three hour layover in Silverton. Riding the bus back so will get to see a lot of the area south of Silverton. May try to rent a Razor or something to go up to Animas Forks. I don't know what is available up there. Will check tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.