Why Tread Lightly!...? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why Tread Lightly!...?

Treading Lightly is one of the best practices that we as public land users can do to make sure that we can not only continue to use our public lands in a variety of recreational manners, but also make sure that the natural resources and experiences remain intact for future generations. Its not about restriction, but rather about responsibility for our public lands and to ourselves, our friends and families, other visitors, and future generations.

So what does it mean to "Tread Lightly"? Well, we've developed our 5 Principles to break it down to basics:

Tread Lightly! Principles

Travel Responsibly on land by staying on designated roads, trails and areas. Go over, not around, obstacles to avoid widening the trails. Cross streams only at designated crossings. When possible avoid wet, muddy trails. On water, stay on designated waterways and launch your watercraft in designated areas.

Respect the Rights of Others including private property owners, all recreational trail users, campers and others so they can enjoy their recreational activities undisturbed. Leave gates as you found them. Yield right of way to those passing you or going uphill. On water, respect anglers, swimmers, skiers, boaters, divers and those on or near shore.

Educate Yourself prior to your trip by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies. Plan for your trip, take recreation skills classes and know how to operate your equipment safely.

Avoid Sensitive Areas on land such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams. Stay on designated routes. This protects wildlife habitats and sensitive soils from damage. Don’t disturb historical, archeological or paleontological sites. On water, avoid operating your watercraft in shallow waters or near shorelines at high speeds.

Do Your Part by modeling appropriate behavior, leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species and repairing degraded areas.

We gain a lot by Treading Lightly as a community. Please help us by promoting the Tread Lightly! ethics whenever you can.

For more information: Tread Lightly - Home

Also, you can follow us with social media!

Facebook: Tread Lightly! | Facebook
Twitter: Twitter
Myspace: Tread Lightly (Tread Lightly!) on Myspace

Thanks for the support!! And please, feel free to ask here if you have any questions or desire for clarification, at all.

Last edited by Tread Lightly!; 03-15-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Re: Why Tread Lightly!...?

I have heard it asked "why tread lightly?". The answer is quite simple: either we do or we loose our trails. Every time I am in the backcountry I see user created trails where they don't belong and just know some ranger has seen them, photographed, logged and reported them. After enough of this they close areas or severly limit usage. This past weekend I explored a new area (new to me but actually fairly new) in Western Colorado, the Gunnison River NCA near Delta. I did a brief visit last year then again this past weekend and was amazed to see miles of new wooden fencing just placed by the BLM to control off trail usage. Won't be long before all the trails are lined by fences.

On the flip side BLM has added some new trails and actually seem to be promoting 4X4 usage. Signage says "jeep trails" but map calls them "technical 4X4 trails" and in some spots they truely are. I hope everyone "treads lightly" there so we can enjoy the area for a long time.

Ace

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I agree, although it's kind of sad that "because it's obviously the right thing to do" isn't a good enough answer for people...

Very glad to see some kind of official representation for TREAD LIGHTLY on here, people need to read this stuff.

-Mike (W7FJC)
check out my BLOG thing...
AZFJ.org - Arizona FJ Cruisers!
Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Ace Brown previously said: View Post
I have heard it asked "why tread lightly?". The answer is quite simple: either we do or we loose our trails. Every time I am in the backcountry I see user created trails where they don't belong and just know some ranger has seen them, photographed, logged and reported them. After enough of this they close areas or severly limit usage. This past weekend I explored a new area (new to me but actually fairly new) in Western Colorado, the Gunnison River NCA near Delta. I did a brief visit last year then again this past weekend and was amazed to see miles of new wooden fencing just placed by the BLM to control off trail usage. Won't be long before all the trails are lined by fences.

On the flip side BLM has added some new trails and actually seem to be promoting 4X4 usage. Signage says "jeep trails" but map calls them "technical 4X4 trails" and in some spots they truely are. I hope everyone "treads lightly" there so we can enjoy the area for a long time.

Ace
Hey Ace! Well put...! Glad you enjoyed the Gunnison River NCA. You are probably referring as well to the trails in the Dry Creek area (Boulder Canyon) which is by all definitions an extreme rock-crawling trail. That trail takes -skills to get through without breaking.

(For those of you who went to Summit in the last couple years, this is Justin from Stay The Trail behind the Tread Lightly! forum account. Sorry I won't be able to hang out this year, but hope you all have fun!! )
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Just did my first wheeling with my new FJ and one of the guides from ExploringNH gave a brief tread lightly talk before we went out (about 30 rigs in all).

One of the things he said was that airing down helps to maintain good traction and would minimize the accidental spinning of tires which leads to the creation of ruts, which enable water runoff, which ruins the trail and pisses everyone off. He really emphasized that spinning wheels is something to be avoided.

Just thought I'd add this to the discussion.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
fj_dave previously said: View Post
Just did my first wheeling with my new FJ and one of the guides from ExploringNH gave a brief tread lightly talk before we went out (about 30 rigs in all).

One of the things he said was that airing down helps to maintain good traction and would minimize the accidental spinning of tires which leads to the creation of ruts, which enable water runoff, which ruins the trail and pisses everyone off. He really emphasized that spinning wheels is something to be avoided.

Just thought I'd add this to the discussion.

Not the phrasing i'd personally use... but yes, the concept is right. Wheel spin is unnecessary, and besides having trail impacts, can also cause damage to your rig if for some reason that spinning tire catches all of a sudden. That's why its very important to use an appropriate amount of throttle, as well as lockers only when needed. Having lockers on when you don't have traction issues means that any time you are turning, that one of your tires is "slipping" on the dirt surface.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Good afternoon everyone!!

Tip of the week:

With the 4th of July holiday weekend rapidly approaching, we hope that you and your friends and families are making plans to head outdoors to enjoy some responsible fun and celebration. Since we figure (and hope) that many of you will be camping, we wanted to toss out a few reminders about campsite ethics.

- Look for previously-used campsites, and camp on durable surfaces.
- Campsites should be at least 200ft from water sources, other campsites, and trails. Pay attention to local regulations (MVUMs, etc) concerning how far your vehicle can be off the trail for camping.
- Keep a clean camp. Place food and other products with odors in animal-proof containers or back in vehicles.
- Follow the pack it in, pack it out guidelines. Police your camp before you leave to leave it in better condition than you found it.
- Campfires are not for waste disposal. Please do not leave trash in campfire rings, especially glass.

All that said, lets all cross our fingers for beautiful weather and get back to planning that perfect trip!

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Forum Veteran

Wink Re: Why Tread Lightly!...?

Ya need to track down these wing-nuts and beat them with a fish.

Pay Attention at the 2:00 mark and then....poor poor, bunny.

Claim: I stole this off of TW. Just seems to fit this thread.

Buttercup

Please Hand Me That Piano...

My Name Is Chuck And I'm Addicted To Gas Station HotDogs...

Last edited by FJandFU; 06-18-2011 at 03:44 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJandFU previously said: View Post
Ya need to track down these wing-nuts and beat them with a fish.
We actually prefer to not endanger or harass wildlife, so I don't think we'd want to use a fish to beat them

The internet is unfortunately full of videos like that. I say unfortunate because there have been cases of anti-motorized organizations using contests to find those types of videos to further their land management agendas.

(Disclaimer: We also do not encourage any form of physical assault in response to improper trail use. However, if your buddy is doing something irresponsible, then it is perfectly acceptable and expected to a) read him/her the riot act, b) teach them about the benefits of Treading Lightly, and then c) make him/her buy the back in town.)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Hope everyone had a fantastic 4th of July weekend!!!

Any fun trail stories from the holiday that anyone cares to share? Or is everyone busy getting ready for FJSummit in Ouray?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Use, Safety, and Education

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in