Fire Extinguishers in cabin - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Fire Extinguishers in cabin

any idea on how effective an extinguisher is after the constant heat build up inside a car during the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Forum Veteran

Guys,

I mounted my Halon H3 on the passenger side of the center console down by their leg area. If you don't get too large of a canister. It will fit and is within easy reach of both the driver and the passenger.

PS - Halon may be more expensive but works on everything especially electrical and isn't nearly as messy.

Cruiserdude...
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
adam12hicks previously said:
If my FJ ever catches fire I'm gonna let it burn. Then I get a new one. Who wants a half-burnt FJ Cruiser anyways?
Photo without caption:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to FJ4me

Quote:
t2cruiser previously said:
Photo without caption:

Jeeeeeeeeeeezeeee!

The hell happed there?!?!?!
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
FJ4me previously said:
Jeeeeeeeeeeezeeee!

The hell happed there?!?!?!
Prototype...no vin...therefore destroyed

Thorns to T2cruiser and anyone else (ie Noisycow and "his" avatar) who confuses those that haven't been around long enough!
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
BigBadFJ previously said:
any idea on how effective an extinguisher is after the constant heat build up inside a car during the day.

Wow! I finally get to answer a question with some knowledge.

Worked as a fulltime firefighter for 10 years, have worked part time as a fire extinguisher tech for 3 years at Fererra Fire Inc., quit there to teach part time and Louisiana State University Fire and Emergency Training Institute.

I do have an idea as far as how effective it will be. The extinguisher itself is not effected by heat build up what so ever. Remember this things are ment to withstand a little heat for fire operations. But you can check some things on the extinguisher to help yourself out in the event of fire. First: Nozzle. Make sure it doesn't have any creepy crawls inside that found a nice home. In vehicles it'll be dirt dobbers maybe just dirt in general from a dirty ride.
Second: Hose (attached to the nozzle) make sure it's not dry rotten. For vehicles this can be common because of the heat of the day, but if it's under 4 years old it shouldn't be a problem, as it usually takes this long for this to naturally happen. Third: Pressure Guage. It's on the side and should be in the "green" if not, drop by a firestation and have them check it out.

Here's some more knowledge. There are different types of extinguishers A,B,C,D,K,Halon, Wet.
Class A Fire= ancipiant, woods, papers
Class B Fire= Flammable Liquids
Class C Fire= Electrical Fires
Class D Fire= Flammable Metal
Class K Fire ext.= For grease fires, you'll see these in Hood systems in Kitchens
Halon=Stay Away From Them YOU CAN DIE FROM ASORBTION OF HALON! They're mainly used in big computer rooms for servers and in plants but are being phased out due to the dangers of it's use.
Wet extinguishers= "Pump Cans" or water extinguishers really self explanitory.

cruiserdude, I see you HAVE a Halon. I'd get ride of it my man. They are phasing these out because security guards come check on the room to see if it is fire, and bam. . .instant vegtable. We wear full gear when a Halon system is discharged even if by accedent with no fire. That's only if you have to go in there.I'd bring it by and exchange it for an ABC ext. Cheaper on funeral fees too.

I'd mount a 5lb. ABC ext. if needed. But remember even though it has a "C" on it for electrical fire it will still carry a charge. It uses a "broken" pattern of dry powder type ABC Chemical (which is also HIGHLY corrosive too!) but the problem is that is discharges so fast it will give you a little jolt. It won't hurt to bad, just enough to let you know it's there and you stop. But you can kick it back up again.

Stay at least 5 ft away and sweep DO NOT GOUGE ANY FUEL and be mindfull of people around you.

Also I'm with the other guy on here. LET THAT SUCKER BURN! Call the FD and your insurance company, that's why you've got it! But for now if you want to have one the best to buy is called a "Purple K". It's best on vehicle fires.http://www.smokesign.com/purkfirex.html

That's the one's the military carries in all of they're vehicles, even tanks and choppers.

Oh yeah forgot about Co2 Extinguishers, but don't worry about those in a vehicle. WAAAAaaayy TO HEAVY!

Regards,

Wild Bill Kelso

"Alright TOJO! Turn this tub around, your takeing me to Tokyo!" ~Wild Bill Kelso "1941 The Movie"

Last edited by WildBillKelso; 07-10-2006 at 12:24 AM.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Forum Regular

A shameless bump of thread so maybe the question is answered but there's some info to keep some of you safe.

Regards,

Wild Bill Kelso

"Alright TOJO! Turn this tub around, your takeing me to Tokyo!" ~Wild Bill Kelso "1941 The Movie"
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Only thing I would add to WildBill's outstanding post is that when you go and buy a fire extinguisher spend the extra money to get one with an all metal nozzle/trigger handle. They are considerably more reliable than the plastic nozzles for a variety of different reasons. And if you go to use it, there's probably a very important reason (like your FJ is burning up!) so you definitely want it to work...

While the wicked stand confounded
Call me with thy saints surrounded

Last edited by tnegiet; 07-11-2006 at 07:16 PM.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Got a smaller kiddie in my rear door net... Hope to never need it, but Oregon OHV regulations for Class II vehilces (jeeps, sand rails, FJ's) say you need one...

--Bill

(Sold) 2007 FJ Cruiser, 6-Speed, Voodoo Blue, FE, CQ, UR, GY, CF, 3T, EL
Added: 2Q, 6D, WL, DH, V5, Bentup Sliders, Horn, CB, ToyTec Lift, Gobi Stealth Rack
Toyota FJ Cruiser: Resources & Documentation Archive
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
adam12hicks previously said:
If my FJ ever catches fire I'm gonna let it burn. Then I get a new one. Who wants a half-burnt FJ Cruiser anyways?
I started carrying one when I pulled into a large parking lot, and saw a family watch a small fire build under the hood of their car. Had I had an extinguisher at the time, the damage could've been kept to a minumum.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Use, Safety, and Education

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in