Fire Extinguishers in cabin - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Fire Extinguishers in cabin

Wild Bill, kudos on the post. He nailed it, the only thing I would add is most mountable commercial fire extinguishers for vehicles are designed to allow you to create more time for egress. A good vehicle far will cough for a few seconds at 5 lb'er allowing you time to get out. And just to add to other's credit call the fire dept, then the Insurance Co and order your new FJ.

Be safe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
WildBillKelso previously said:
Here's some more knowledge. There are different types of extinguishers A,B,C,D,K,Halon, Wet.
Class A Fire= ancipiant, woods, papers
Class B Fire= Flammable Liquids
Class C Fire= Electrical Fires
Class D Fire= Flammable Metal
Class K Fire ext.= For grease fires, you'll see these in Hood systems in Kitchens
Halon=Stay Away From Them YOU CAN DIE FROM ASORBTION OF HALON! They're mainly used in big computer rooms for servers and in plants but are being phased out due to the dangers of it's use.
Wet extinguishers= "Pump Cans" or water extinguishers really self explanitory.

I'd mount a 5lb. ABC ext. if needed. But remember even though it has a "C" on it for electrical fire it will still carry a charge. It uses a "broken" pattern of dry powder type ABC Chemical (which is also HIGHLY corrosive too!) but the problem is that is discharges so fast it will give you a little jolt. It won't hurt to bad, just enough to let you know it's there and you stop. But you can kick it back up again.

Stay at least 5 ft away and sweep DO NOT GOUGE ANY FUEL and be mindfull of people around you.

Also I'm with the other guy on here. LET THAT SUCKER BURN! Call the FD and your insurance company, that's why you've got it! But for now if you want to have one the best to buy is called a "Purple K". It's best on vehicle fires.http://www.smokesign.com/purkfirex.html

That's the one's the military carries in all of they're vehicles, even tanks and choppers.

Oh yeah forgot about Co2 Extinguishers, but don't worry about those in a vehicle. WAAAAaaayy TO HEAVY!
Great guidance and important info. I now know which one to buy...Thank You!

2007 FJC
1972 FJ40
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:58 AM

Thanks,

Hope it can help the unlucky few that may have this happen to them in the future. Was dead serious about that Halon stuff though. It can hurt you just as much as the fire will. Good luck guys and I hope ya'll never have to use it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Thanks,

Hope it can help the unlucky few that may have this happen to them in the future. Was dead serious about that Halon stuff though. It can hurt you just as much as the fire will. Good luck guys and I hope ya'll never have to use it!
DUDE!! You Rock!!
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Forum Veteran

Good post WildBill
I had to use my extinguisher once on a guys truck that had an engine fire. Turned out to be an electrical fire (battery cables). That was about 15 years ago. Haven't had to use one since and hopefully that was the last time! But just in case I have a extinguisher in the back of the FJ and my 4runner.

07 FJ Cruiser - Sun Fusion (Yellow) 4x4 AT, 285-70/17 Good Year Wrangler MT/R's. Home made Rock sliders, Home made level lift. Home made LCA skids, All-Pro extreme LCA links, Home made High Lift Jack clamps, 4 KC Daylighters,Home made rear inside door rack,CB(cobra 19 & bandi mount,with 4' firestik, yakima load warrior w/extension, w/kayak and bike attachments.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 12:42 AM

Well,

I'm just glad I'm not having to show you guys this.

Way to hot for that now. But we'll kick it up agian in Sept.

I'm the guy in the yellow hat.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Thanks,

Isn't Halon being used extensively in race cars? I've recently heard of someone who races a 4Runner in timed events (closed road) and they were saying everyone uses Halon, both inside the cabin and in the engine bay.

I know I used to have Halon in the engine bay of my 911 and that was mainly to avoid the mess of cleanup if a fire was to occur leading to the use of a suppression system.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Mark
04 4Runner SE, Fry/Rr locked, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35's, SW Sliders & Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, 2.5" Overland Warehouse suspension, 1.5" 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Flowmaster, 60" High Lift, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Comet Dualband Ant., Sat. Radio, Garmin Nuvi GPS, CO2 system, Lightforce 240 Blitz, African Outback Rack, Downey Frt skid
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 04:20 PM

I would rant about this thread but why even bother!!!!! A freakin fire extinguisher...sheeeesh give me a friggin break!!!!!
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Huckleberry previously said:
I would rant about this thread but why even bother!!!!! A freakin fire extinguisher...sheeeesh give me a friggin break!!!!!
A) That is a rant, so make up your mind.
B) Oregon requires an extinguisher in a Class II vehicle while in OHV areas.

--Bill

(Sold) 2007 FJ Cruiser, 6-Speed, Voodoo Blue, FE, CQ, UR, GY, CF, 3T, EL
Added: 2Q, 6D, WL, DH, V5, Bentup Sliders, Horn, CB, ToyTec Lift, Gobi Stealth Rack
Toyota FJ Cruiser: Resources & Documentation Archive
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Huckleberry previously said:

What do you mean? Your point (if there is one) is unclear. If you don't like the subject why are you posting into it?

Mark
04 4Runner SE, Fry/Rr locked, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35's, SW Sliders & Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, 2.5" Overland Warehouse suspension, 1.5" 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Flowmaster, 60" High Lift, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Comet Dualband Ant., Sat. Radio, Garmin Nuvi GPS, CO2 system, Lightforce 240 Blitz, African Outback Rack, Downey Frt skid

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Use, Safety, and Education

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in