LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
? Wheeling in sand(beach)

OK! I'm going to Pismo Beach CA this weekend for the Cruiser Surf n Turf taking, but I've never wheeled in the sand before! I know to air down but how low? And what gear ? 4low or 4hi? Any tips would be great!!

07 FJ Cruiser - Sun Fusion (Yellow) 4x4 AT, 285-70/17 Good Year Wrangler MT/R's. Home made Rock sliders, Home made level lift. Home made LCA skids, All-Pro extreme LCA links, Home made High Lift Jack clamps, 4 KC Daylighters,Home made rear inside door rack,CB(cobra 19 & bandi mount,with 4' firestik, yakima load warrior w/extension, w/kayak and bike attachments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Forum Veteran

Re: ? Wheeling in sand(beach)

10 lbs is a good starting point if you are strictly goind on sand. Lower if you are getting stuck.

You want a larger contact patch.

4 Hi is okay unless you cannot get started out in Hi 1st gear.

SonicFJ
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Forum Master

Keeping momentum going is important in sand if it's deep soft stuff or you're going uphill, so your mud tires don't dig in. Because they're trying to dig in your front end will slalom in soft sand, and you'll feel like you don't have as much steering control as you normally would, but once you get used to feathering the gas to compensate it's a lot of fun. I suppose it MIGHT be even more fun if someone were to disable their nanny's and do doughnuts in 2WD if there were plenty of space. Of course I would never recommend such a thing, it just crossed my mind.....

HAPPY TRAILS ~ DEJA VUDU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Actually the proper way to drive on Sand is to just drive on it just like you did on the Highway. Do not air your tires down or anything. The reason for driving like that is, so once you are hung up, you have tricks to fall back on to get yourself unstuck. Such as letting air out of your tires, using 4 wheel drive then if you have it. Using a 5 gallon bucket to get water to put under your wheels, as wet sand will pack harder and making it easier to drive out. carrying a shovel and Burying your spare tire in the sand and using a highlift jack to winch yourself out, ett,etc....

These are but just some of the tricks used to get yourself out of sand, if no one else is around. If you get hung-up in sand with all your tricks already used such as 4x4, air downed tires ect,etc Then you will be really hung up. Have fun!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Computahound previously said: View Post
Actually the proper way to drive on Sand is to just drive on it just like you did on the Highway. Do not air your tires down or anything. The reason for driving like that is, so once you are hung up, you have tricks to fall back on to get yourself unstuck. Such as letting air out of your tires, using 4 wheel drive then if you have it.
What???? That does not make any sence . If you air down properly you won't get stuck in the first place.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Air down but not below 20 lbs... You risk popping a bead and tire damage. Anything below this requires beadlocks (IMO).

If you get stuck, first get out and assess the situation. The first option is usually to try and shovel a path out. People get hopelessly stuck when they try to "rev their way out"; which usually just digs you in deeper.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 AM

Air down to 25lbs, 4 hi and your good to go.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
FJR Colorado previously said: View Post
Air down but not below 20 lbs... You risk popping a bead and tire damage. Anything below this requires beadlocks (IMO).

If you get stuck, first get out and assess the situation. The first option is usually to try and shovel a path out. People get hopelessly stuck when they try to "rev their way out"; which usually just digs you in deeper.
X2.

2008 FJ-VooDoo blue/4x4/AT/Superlift Lift kit/GPS/K&N Air Filter/TRD Performance Exhaust/Revos/Up Pkg.2/VIP RS3200 Plus Security System/OEM Roof Rack/OEM Rock Rails/OEM Skid Plates/Factory Spare Tire Cover/Tow Package/All Weather Floor Mats & Rear cargo Mat/Zeibart/Recovery strap.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I always run 13 to 15 on rocks or sand and never sllipped a bead or got tire damage, I think it depends on your tire wheel combo. By the way, nize zombie revival o this thread.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7470_2.gif
Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post

Yup thieves are stupid, that's why they are thieves.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 AM

I air down to 12-15 as well. This is a requirement on the ORV corridor on cape cod. Not that they enforce it. My friend only aired down his durango to 20 and ended up being unable to climb a hill. The ranger asked about his tire pressure...doh!. he aired down to 13 and got up the hill.

Not sure how different tires handle it though. I have the stock BFGs ATs on my FJ and have never gotten stuck on the beach. Keep it on 4-hi unless I have a tough hill coming up in which case I go 4lo.

low and slow on the beach.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Use, Safety, and Education

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in