Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: rubicon must haves and parts list?

Quote:
Christopher Schiddel previously said: View Post
I believe you are right good sir. Some more mods and more time on the rocks will get me where I want to be. Any other good suggestions on the west cost? I live in washington but still want to make a good trip. Depending on what I get ordered for mods while I'm gone I may still go. But for now I may push it off until the summer of 2016 when my rig is 100% ready.
I'm Jessica...nice to meet you.

Sounds like you have a good plan. The more ready you and your rig are, the more fun you'll have on this trail.

Wish I could give you more suggestions on trails out in your area but my home turf is the Colorado Rockies so I'm far from knowledgable on what's available to you.
Basil likes this.

Jessica

2011 Cavalry Blue with some added stuff.

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said:
Don’t be afraid to use your rig! Dents can be popped out, scratches can be buffed out, but in the end the memories you have make it so worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)

She wheels harder than anyone else I know by the way ^^
Voight Kampff and GRMREPR like this.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Well I like I said before I'm deploying and won't be back until some time in september. If you go to the naches after I get back I'm totally in. Thanks for all the input! I will be getting 35s. And after my list of parts I made in the beginning I will be gear down to 4.88s unless you have other suggestions. I may try to go to browns camp this weekend in oregon. Lots of good terrain there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Here's a list of trails in the Tahoe National Forest, with descriptions and difficulty ratings: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/taho...55444&actid=93

You will probably want the winch and Hi-Lift. Bigger tires mandatory. Steer horns optional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1420781857483.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	515.4 KB
ID:	384266  
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Here is a thought. Plan on going with the TLCA Rubithon event. As a part of the event there is a lot of support along the trail to ensure everyone makes it safe. There is usually a group of FJCs so you have experts that are familiar with how it will behave as they spot you through the boulders that never end from start to finish. (think 7 miles of Tillamook Forrest Fire Break 5 ... and sometimes that is the bypass) You do not get much of a chance to relax, you are always on high alert with Rubicon.

The Rubithon is a late spring event and pushes you out an extra 9 months but it gives you time make any mods, become more familiar with how your rig behaves with the new mods and gain a little seat time on trails with rock gardens or some rocky stretches.

A Rubicon Trail off-road adventure is bucklist item that you should enjoy and respect, not fear. The trail changes year to year and is never the same. I've been twice and both times were great but you and your rig need to be prepared for what you'll face.

Safe travels to you.
FJess and iwashmycar like this.

LGRT
See our Overland and Off-Road Adventure website for stories, pictures and videos of our exploits, how to mods and maintenance as well as random thoughts and rants
MODs:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel Off-Road and Overland Adventure Videos
"Like" us at Last Great Road Trip on Face Book for extras and a free LGRT decal

Last edited by lgrt; 01-11-2015 at 06:11 PM.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Quote:
Voight Kampff previously said: View Post
Here's me:

I will take my pickup or my Land Cruiser on the Rubicon.

I will not take my not-yet-paid-for, IFS front FJ Cruiser on the Rubicon (I did run Cadillac out to the lake, but that's not the tough part).

I would take some other trails first, like:
Signal Peak
Poker Flat
Hell Hole
Long Canyon
Strawberry Pass
Plummer Ridge
Pardoe
Deer Valley
Barney Riley
Slick Rock
Niagara Rim
Budweiser Canyon
Bronco Canyon
Swamp Lake

The toughest trails in California are:
Fordyce
Rubicon
Dusy-Ershim
I agree with starting with the moderate trails first. When I lived in NORCAL back in the 80s, I ran Barney Riley in my locked Suzuki (about as big as a 4wheeler these days) and it was fun, but some steep rocky climbs put you to the test. We camped at the Carson River and crossed over to the hot springs. Don't think you can drive across the river now.

4x4TrailMaps - Barney Riley Trail

I then went with my friend with a CJ5 as a passenger on the Rubicon and that was way beyond my off road skills and the capability of my vehicle at that time in my life. I then moved with my parents out of Cali and had never a chance to get back to Tahoe with a vehicle that could go off road. One day I will....

Enjoy being outdoors!

Current: 2013 FJ TT Cement, All Pro front APEX bumper, All Pro APEX rear bumper, All Pro APEX aluminum skid plate, Wet Okole, Icon exteneded travel coilovers, Toytec Superflex rear coils, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, Ricochet LCA skids, All-Pro high tuck 3" SS tailpipe, FJNewb Scuba Mod, FJToyman Rear Shock Skids, RCI Rear Diff Skid, Outpost Offroad Rear Link Skids, MT Offset Rear Lower Links.

Last edited by Grillfish; 04-08-2015 at 11:35 AM.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Sorry for the long wait on the reply. I'm currently deployed and have a lot of parts waiting for me. After ready what you guys have posted I decided to get a little more seat time before attempting the Rubicon. I may get the change to make some good trips when I get back. I appreciate the guidance!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Use, Safety, and Education

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in