Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 4WD Training

Is Rancho cordova near you?
there is a event listed on the California 4WD Assc. web site for next weekend
http://www.cal4wheel.com/
click on events and pan down to conservation and safety education foundation

Last edited by highbeams; 06-03-2006 at 05:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
huc previously said:
Bill Burke (the guy who trained the FJ Trail Team and ran the Rubicon w/the FJ for Toyota) does training. While he's based in Colorado, he has a traveling road show of sorts and it's worth checking out his site here:

http://www.bb4wa.com/

My wife and I are both planning on taking classes from Bill. Given we're in Colorado it's convenient but his reputation seems to speak for itself. Now that we have a vehicle in hand I can start sorting out specifics -- I'm thinking of contacting Bill Burke to see if they can do a custom group session and what the costs and head count requirements are. If I find any specifics I'll be happy to post them here if others are interested.

I've always maintained that any day I learn something new is a good day -- regardless of the subject and whether I'm an expert or novice. Training for off-roading or anything else always pays dividends in the long run.

Thanks to the original poster for raising the subject. We all benefit from this type of discussion!
Huc, I'm based in Denver and would love to attend a group session. By all means see if we can get a class together.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
huc previously said:
Bill Burke (the guy who trained the FJ Trail Team and ran the Rubicon w/the FJ for Toyota) does training. While he's based in Colorado, he has a traveling road show of sorts and it's worth checking out his site here:

http://www.bb4wa.com/

My wife and I are both planning on taking classes from Bill. Given we're in Colorado it's convenient but his reputation seems to speak for itself. Now that we have a vehicle in hand I can start sorting out specifics -- I'm thinking of contacting Bill Burke to see if they can do a custom group session and what the costs and head count requirements are. If I find any specifics I'll be happy to post them here if others are interested.

I've always maintained that any day I learn something new is a good day -- regardless of the subject and whether I'm an expert or novice. Training for off-roading or anything else always pays dividends in the long run.

Thanks to the original poster for raising the subject. We all benefit from this type of discussion!
I did a Bill Burke one day (morning and afternoon) in Anza Borrego. It was a great class, but there were too many people. It's difficult when you need to line up 20 trucks. I haven't done their limited 6 truck excursions though.

Turbocharged 1999 4Runner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 02:49 PM

My wife took the Esprit de Four course at Hollister Hills when we first bought our Jeep. She really liked it as she had never driven a 4x4 before that. The Capital City Mountain Goats offer a good course at Prairie City OHV in Sacramento (Rancho Cordova) also.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
robinhood4x4 previously said:
I went thru training with Esprit de Four. They are awesome. It's a full day, and you'll learn things that even the professed "experts" don't know.

Do it, it's worth it.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm trying to find one here in Canada, but I'm having poor luck in my search. i would like to recieve some formal training instead of my usual screaming down the road(trail) with my hair on fire, devil may care and damn the consequence learning. Any help on Canadian schooling would be great. Thanks

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 02:11 AM

good for you more people should ask questions instead of being a dumbaZZ and having to get rescued later.
step one
go get the 4x4 bible ( its real and a great read, older than dirt but still applies to today )
step 2
go for a trail run on a easy outing with a local toyota/jeep whatever club im sure they would love to teach ya some stuff
step 3
have fun fixin up your fj to what you need to have more fun wheeling

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Use, Safety, and Education

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in