JohnGalt previously said:
Lots of people. I know I don't know how to use one, but when it's on my rig, I'll get lessons from those I wheel with and the person I'm planning to purchase it from.
Before anyone is presumptuous, it's a new toy for Air and maybe he just wanted to play with it and post a photo.
I'm quite sure Air got the point a few people made. And I'm also quite sure I KLD was just trying to help. No need to flame on, IMO.
1) you need an IN TRUCK winch controller. You don't want to be anywhere near the thing when it is in use
2) you need to raise the hood when using the winch. Better have your truck's body take a hit, instead of your skull
3) make sure NO ONE is in the path of the winch or vehicle
4) I ****ing HATE hidden winches, they make it hard to see if it's spooling and potentially wedging against the bumper and ultimately jamming
5) Use a snatch strap for trees
6) Anything capable of yanking a truck out of a hole is a vicious bad thing that can cut you in half, mangle your fingers, or just punch through your skull
7) Take care of your winch, make sure it is clean, the cable is not frayed, the connections, kill switches, etc. are in working order
8) Final tip: if the winch ain't working, don't keep jazzing it. You're stuck and just straining the motor.
Remember boys and girls, off roading is dangerous.