Another Reminder to Leave No Trace! TACOMABEAST Vandalism - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
 150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:29 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Another Reminder to Leave No Trace! TACOMABEAST Vandalism

Quote:
tsfarling previously said: View Post
600,000 acres from 450,000 acres, as well as creates 248,000 more acres of recreation area instead of a more restrictive conservation area designation.
The math seemed questionable. 150,000 into wilderness, somehow created 248,000. Which native tribe lost 98,000 acres ? Lol not sure if I'm on the right track here. I'm sure there's more to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
The math seemed questionable. 150,000 into wilderness, somehow created 248,000. Which native tribe lost 98,000 acres ? Lol not sure if I'm on the right track here. I'm sure there's more to it

Politicians math pulled from the article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamesepoop likes this.

2014 Iceberg FJ, CRAWL Control, Rear Diff. Lock, ATRAC, Eezi Awn K9 Roof Rack, Hella Aux lights, Rear Chase Lights, TRD Ultimate Edition Suspension, TRD Pro 17" rims, BF GoodRich KO2 285/70/17, Eezi Awn 1400 Series 2 Roof Top Tent, National Luna Dual Battery Controller, Optima Yellowtop 34/78 Battery
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:51 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post

I think they’re opening up other land elsewhere is what they’re saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamesepoop likes this.

2014 Iceberg FJ, CRAWL Control, Rear Diff. Lock, ATRAC, Eezi Awn K9 Roof Rack, Hella Aux lights, Rear Chase Lights, TRD Ultimate Edition Suspension, TRD Pro 17" rims, BF GoodRich KO2 285/70/17, Eezi Awn 1400 Series 2 Roof Top Tent, National Luna Dual Battery Controller, Optima Yellowtop 34/78 Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:51 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

This is an excellent article about leaving no trace. I was working for the US Forest Service in the 70's and part of the job was clearing wilderness trails of fallen trees and new brush. One of the things we found was the shoes people wore with tractor treds the kind everyone gets to go hiking. The back trails were be ripped apart by these shoes. Each time you take a step with 25 pounds on your back the shoe tear up soft earth and grass. The best shoe was a soft sole with no ripples. Even the Mountain Men of the early 1800's wore moccasins.
Personally I think marking the rocks with graffiti ruins the experience, Its like taking a dump in the middle of the road. After time it disappears but in the meantime it sucks for the next guy.
Lee44, DBCooper and Prius2FJ like this.

There is nothing wrong with you that reincarnation wont cure.

Confidence: It's what you have before you ask your wife's opinion.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:25 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
John3M previously said: View Post
Personally I think marking the rocks with graffiti ruins the experience, Its like taking a dump in the middle of the road. After time it disappears but in the meantime it sucks for the next guy.
Great comparison!

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I think the intent of the post was to remind all of us to take care our wilderness.

Quote:
John3M previously said: View Post
I read that the "Powers of Be" are thinking of restricting the number of people on parts of the Appalachian Trail. The proposed restricted parts are so popular with people that they are becoming a sanitation nightmare. Not enough room in the cat box.

All-Pro skids, Stubbs Welding HD-SKO Rock Sliders, FT-8800R, Icon Stage 2, and 285/17/75 Cooper Discovery Maxx tires.
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Then there's every person who thinks they need to stack rocks because they are special.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/ra...oo-many-stones
debFJVT and Uncharted like this.
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:42 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)

Note to self Only carve donkeys and stick figure people into the rocks
Slonomo likes this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage

On section 2 of the WABDR is a turnoff to a sweet little meadow called Cash Prairie that leads to one of the best lookouts on the whole route. As you drive along the well-marked trail there is a pair of 2' deep ruts heading off the trail into the otherwise pristine landscape. I wasn't there when it happened, but if you know the weather in the PacNW it's a pretty fair assumption that some knucklehead decided to go freelancing during the rainy season in a place where they shouldn't have been. Naturally, the ruts were an open invitation to anyone else with the same mindset to follow suit and so now there is a permanent new "trail" that everyone gets to look at. All it takes is one person's negligence to cause damage that can take decades, if not longer, for nature to erase.

So of course there's an overreaction when someone posts a photo on social media of themselves doing something that looks irresponsible. And then an equivalent overreaction from the opposition. And the feedback loop never ends. Fake news, liberals, conservatives, agendas, politics--it's all irrelevant. The recent trashing of our national parks by a handful of morons should be heartbreaking to anyone who enjoys nature. What message does this send to anyone other than that opening our public lands results in having to pick up tons of trash and human waste at best, and does irreversible damage to the landscape, plants and animals at worst? How should people react to this behavior, or behavior that looks like it, if not with great concern or outrage?

By the same token, scratching letters into rocks and posting it to social media might be harmless in some cases, but it represents a lack of awareness on the part of the person doing it. Social media is predicated on outrage, and doing things that look outrageous is going to get a swift reaction. Anyone with the competence to acquire sponsorships and hashtag every brand they have a deal with should also be able to do enough homework to at least look like they care about their behavior. If not for themselves or the rest of society, then for the sake of their sponsors who generally recoil from this kind of stuff for fear of negative perception.

As operators of large, heavy vehicles that can easily cause as much damage in minutes as thousands of hikers can cause in a whole season, shouldn't the onus not be on us to act responsibly, educate ourselves, and keep one another accountable for not just our behavior, but how our actions are perceived?
FJNewGuyCO and ltsnotme like this.

2011 Cavalry Blue 6MT | The Jerk build | Instagram
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:58 PM
I Have a V-8!! Moderator

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Garage
I've seen people complaining about how it was done back then why can't I scratch my name too. What they don't realize or know is that was a way for them to communicate with others on the trips across the country. It let family members and others know you had made it to a certain spot. They didn't have phones, internet, etc.
tsfarling likes this.

Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens...

I'll ride in on a sunny day, Sing you a song, steal your heart away Like a cowboy Hang my hat like I'm here for awhile Kick off my boots and drive you wild Like a cowboy Well baby you know I can't stay long You wake up, I'll be gone Until then I'll hold on Like a cowboy.

TLCA #9031

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Use, Safety, and Education

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in