Another Reminder to Leave No Trace! TACOMABEAST Vandalism - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
 150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Another Reminder to Leave No Trace! TACOMABEAST Vandalism

Quote:
BIGGUY previously said: View Post
I've seen people complaining about how it was done back then why can't I scratch my name too. What they don't realize or know is that was a way for them to communicate with others on the trips across the country. It let family members and others know you had made it to a certain spot. They didn't have phones, internet, etc.
Great example! They left historical markings for education purposes as well. People do it now because they feel entitled to do whatever they want with nature leaving behind a mark that says, I'm a d*ckhead and the world revolves around me! One person carved their name into an aspen tree near where I live and now the entire forest has names carved on every tree and it looks like trash.

2014 Iceberg FJ, CRAWL Control, Rear Diff. Lock, ATRAC, Eezi Awn K9 Roof Rack, Hella Aux lights, Rear Chase Lights, TRD Ultimate Edition Suspension, TRD Pro 17" rims, BF GoodRich KO2 285/70/17, Eezi Awn 1400 Series 2 Roof Top Tent, National Luna Dual Battery Controller, Optima Yellowtop 34/78 Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
tsfarling previously said: View Post
One person carved their name into an aspen tree near where I live and now the entire forest has names carved on every tree and it looks like trash.
I've noticed this quite a few time in Colorado on their trees in certain areas. Animus forks comes to mind also.
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:53 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said: View Post
I've noticed this quite a few time in Colorado on their trees in certain areas. Animus forks comes to mind also.
I hate seeing it. It reminds me that Im not in nature and a million people have been there. I'd rather not have that feeling.

2014 Iceberg FJ, CRAWL Control, Rear Diff. Lock, ATRAC, Eezi Awn K9 Roof Rack, Hella Aux lights, Rear Chase Lights, TRD Ultimate Edition Suspension, TRD Pro 17" rims, BF GoodRich KO2 285/70/17, Eezi Awn 1400 Series 2 Roof Top Tent, National Luna Dual Battery Controller, Optima Yellowtop 34/78 Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:02 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Unhappy Re: Another Reminder to Leave No Trace! TACOMABEAST Vandalism

Quote:
SergioK previously said: View Post
Then there's every person who thinks they need to stack rocks because they are special.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/ra...oo-many-stones
You know, I'm usually overly liberal and have rightly been described as a tree hugger, but this is ridiculous. A stack of rocks will be reduced to rubble by the wind or even a little rain. The point is that it's a temporary change in the environment hardly more significant than the footprints we leave behind.

I'm having a hard time with this even though I really feel like I should agree with the article. :-(

Dan
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Has absolutely nothing to do with being liberal or even conservative. Heck, someone tried to convince me with that same argument that it’s no big deal when he did this at at 1200 year old Christian monastery (that also happens to be a UNESCO protected world heritage site). It’s about one simple mantra.

Leave no trace.

It’s not leave a little trace, nor is it leave a stack of rocks so you can leave your ego’s mark. It’s leave no trace.
ToyRig and Halftrack like this.
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:32 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member

Interesting link to Lewis and Clark
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/lewisandclark/pom.htm

A few years back someone climbed over the fence and scratched their name next to Clark’s

There is nothing wrong with you that reincarnation wont cure.

Confidence: It's what you have before you ask your wife's opinion.
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Supasta previously said: View Post
You know, I'm usually overly liberal and have rightly been described as a tree hugger, but this is ridiculous. A stack of rocks will be reduced to rubble by the wind or even a little rain. The point is that it's a temporary change in the environment hardly more significant than the footprints we leave behind.

I'm having a hard time with this even though I really feel like I should agree with the article. :-(

Dan

There are these things called laws. Watching your name in the side of a rock in a protected area is against the law in order to protect nature. If there weren’t laws, all the sandstone in our state would be ruined and look like the side of a train that’s been sitting in the inner city. I live here. I hate tourists that think they can come here and leave some message or their name. This isn’t “their” place. This is everyone’s place. One person puts their name. The next person leaves a “F*ck You!” Where does it end? That’s the problem with leaving just ONE etching. Next thing you know, there’s a million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee44 likes this.

post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:42 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Supporting Member
Thre is a new thing going on where people are stacking rocks in parks and wilderness areas, not sure why.

There is nothing wrong with you that reincarnation wont cure.

Confidence: It's what you have before you ask your wife's opinion.
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:51 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

This is a great thread. Very informative . I never understood the rock stacking thing .
People thinking there is some mystical attachment to it. There is not.

post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
SergioK previously said: View Post
Has absolutely nothing to do with being liberal or even conservative. Heck, someone tried to convince me with that same argument that it’s no big deal when he did this at at 1200 year old Christian monastery (that also happens to be a UNESCO protected world heritage site). It’s about one simple mantra.

Leave no trace.

It’s not leave a little trace, nor is it leave a stack of rocks so you can leave your ego’s mark. It’s leave no trace.
I see your point, on the other hand, I think a little stack of rocks is acceptable since we’ve got much bigger fish to fry when it comes to protecting the environment

Dan

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > Trail Use, Safety, and Education

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in