Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

SO I Installed my trailer hitch and broke

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Crashn 
#1 ·
well a few weeks ago I got around to installing my trailer hitch. I had my grandson helping and when he went to install the last bolt he cross threaded it and broke it off. I got it out and retap'd the hole. Now I have to figure out where to get a bolt beside paying Toyota $5.00 for one. Anybody know of a source of the bolts that go from the top down into the rear bumper? Or a part number for them? I think there are 6 of them. Thanks Mike

#6 ·
Is the bolt that broke off a 12-1.25 x 40 mm? If what you used has 8.8 stamped on the head you should change to a 10.9 which is a much stronger bolt and what Toyota uses on the rear bumper.
8.8 is a low strength common bolt used. The 10.9 is almost as good as a SAE grade 8. Almost. I do not use 8.8 on a trailer hitch or bumper with "D" rings used for pulling.
Around $5.00 for a 10.9 is common and very well worth it. 10.9 is heat treated and oil quenched for hardness. Just saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.