OEM Trailer Hitch Rear Bumper with/cut out - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trailers and Towing Tech This sub-section is the place to discuss all things trailer and towing related.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OEM Trailer Hitch Rear Bumper with/cut out

Hi,... do you really need to buy this valiance with the cut out for a trailer hitch or are there trailer hitches for the FJ that sit under the rear bumper for towing light landscaper trailer? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Re: OEM Trailer Hitch Rear Bumper with/cut out

There are other options for aftermarket receiver hitches. I installed a Curt on my FJ. I like it very much. The receiver is below the level of the bumper and no bumper valence change is required to install it.

Just make sure you get the factory trailer wiring harness as that is much easier to install.
51062 likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)

+1 for the Curt hitch. IMHO the best hitch made for the FJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 82 Post(s)

as said above, yes you can, but it all seems to cost the same either way you go. and removing the bumper is not that bad, it's the torque of the bolts when installing the receiver that gets scary.. 70lb/ft seems good the 80lb/ft is overkill for the thread pitch, but got all of them to 80.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:16 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)

Quote:
ccea2mel previously said: View Post
Hi,... do you really need to buy this valiance with the cut out for a trailer hitch or are there trailer hitches for the FJ that sit under the rear bumper for towing light landscaper trailer? Thanks.
It's not clear exactly what you are asking here ... the OEM Toyota hitch kit comes WITH a replacement valance with the clearance cutout for the hitch.

There are even two different versions of the hitch kit, the "standard" one with the silver valance, and the Trail Teams version with the black valance. Price is the same ...

Sold separately is the hitch wiring harness kit, which is the cleanest and safest way to add trailer wiring. It just plugs into existing (capped) connectors on the vehicle's wiring harness.

I think the OEM hitch is superior to aftermarket hitches on multiple fronts: much lighter weight, doesn't reduce rear approach angle, not as likely to get damaged when off-roading, etc.
FAUJI and fensterer like this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:20 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

all excellent points.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
ccea2mel previously said: View Post
You should try Hitchweb. They have a lot of options for FJ Cruisers. I'm sure they will have something for you. Here is the link if you wanted to have a look: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Hope this helps!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
It's not clear exactly what you are asking here ... the OEM Toyota hitch kit comes WITH a replacement valance with the clearance cutout for the hitch.

There are even two different versions of the hitch kit, the "standard" one with the silver valance, and the Trail Teams version with the black valance. Price is the same ...

Sold separately is the hitch wiring harness kit, which is the cleanest and safest way to add trailer wiring. It just plugs into existing (capped) connectors on the vehicle's wiring harness.

I think the OEM hitch is superior to aftermarket hitches on multiple fronts: much lighter weight, doesn't reduce rear approach angle, not as likely to get damaged when off-roading, etc.
^^This

I.m actually having my OEM hitch installed today. I think it is definitely the better option over the other hitches IMO

2013 Trail Teams, 3" Toytec Boss Suspension, Light Racing UCAs, 285/75/R16 Cooper STT PRO, Expedition One Rear Swing Out bumper, Trailworx Evil Eye front bumper, Engo Winch, Factor 55 1.5" Hawse Fairlead, Factor 55 ProLink thimble, Crosby shackles, PIAA 520 6" Off Road Lights, Cree 4" Cree front bumper LEDs, Rigid Industries SR-Q series diffused flood lights, Rocker switches and sPod relay and fuse block from OTRATTW.com, Budbuilt Front Skid

IMPERIAL CRUISER BUILD THREAD
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage

etrailers.com

When I bought mine, it was on sale.
I think they have 3 different brands. Two of them are basically the same (I forgot which one I got)

Hardest part was removing the factory bolt for the tow hook. It was definitely cross threaded in there. One came out like butter, the other took some serious effort and a very long pipe attached to the breaker bar to get it completely out.

Last edited by Sacapuntas; 08-28-2017 at 06:45 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks everyone... great info. My 2010 FJ has the silver solid valance and I want to switch out for the trail team valance with hitch notch insert... are there any step by step instructions for this? Or should I simply buy a new OEM bumper that has the valance with hitch notch already there?? From the above info, I have decided to go with OEM valance with hitch notch just not sure how hard it is to swap out one valance for the other. Truely appreciate all the help, this is my first FJ bought last May so I am just starting to improve what it didn't come with.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Trailers and Towing Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in