Has anyone used the Airstream Sport with the FJ? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trailers and Towing Tech This sub-section is the place to discuss all things trailer and towing related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Has anyone used the Airstream Sport with the FJ?

After doing some reading here I see that the FJ isn't so great at towing, something I didn't realize when i bought it. It wasn't my first consideration and I have used the FJ for some heavy 4 wheeling, road travel, 2 years in Alaska etc. It has done great but I want to downsize from my house to really small. It is my wife and myself and we have lived in really small places around the wold for extended times, a few years at a time, so I realize the Sport in the 16 foot is little but not an issue. What I wonder is how the FJ would do with this relatively small trailer?

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/sport/

Thanks for any input or ideas.

2012 Calvary Blue bought the last day and last hour of 2012.
Demello straight sliders.
Toytec 3 inch lift.
2012 FJ badges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 01:39 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Has anyone used the Airstream Sport with the FJ?

I had a Starcraft AR-One Extreme same length and weight as the Airstream and it was getting me 10mpg. I sold it.

Trans cooler, frame mounted hitch plus a Weight Dist Hitch for the trailer, brake controller/7 pin, rear spring air bags wouldn't hurt either.

FYI: Amazon has the OEM trailer harness kit on sale from $86 to $16. There's a thread on it w/ the link.

Good Luck in your Adventure!

トヨタ
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
I had a Starcraft AR-One Extreme same length and weight as the Airstream and it was getting me 10mpg. I sold it.

Trans cooler, frame mounted hitch plus a Weight Dist Hitch for the trailer, brake controller/7 pin, rear spring air bags wouldn't hurt either.

FYI: Amazon has the OEM trailer harness kit on sale from $86 to $16. There's a thread on it w/ the link.

Good Luck in your Adventure!
I didn't realize it didn't have what was required to tow with. When I bought the FJ they said it was trailer ready. So it needs this: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyot...er+harness+kit ?

From what I gather, you did not like towing with the FJ?

Toytec 3 inch lift.
2012 FJ badges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)

While the FJ does come with a "tow package" in reality it is a smaller SUV with a V6 engine and probably is not the optimum for towing over 1000lbs without some extra equipment.

If you add that equipment that Hannibal mentioned you will be fine to tow with and you will still have your FJ to do the exploring that you have been used to.

If you want something that will tow easily buy a 3/4 ton pickup that is set up out of the factory for towing.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)

That's an awesome domicile at only 2800 lb. I would think the FJ would be OK with that!

The reason why we retain memories is because we are not caught in a time loop. The reason why we are not caught in a time loop is because it is not possible to go backwards in time only forward!
*CurbCrawler fabricated hidden front receiver.
*CurbCrawler fabricated Hi-Lift receiver mount.
*CurbCrawler fabricated SS dual battery tray & Walmart Battery.
*CurbCrawler fabricated 4-Gauge dash pod.
*CurbCrawler fabricated Aux fuse/relay panel.
Gibson cat-back exhaust (Dyno Proven)
Complete set of aluminum skid plates.
Receiver mounted 9k-lb rear winch.
Hayden trans cooler w/electric fan.
Factory rock rails.
Moon roof.
LED fog & backup lights.
Husky mats: front, center & rear.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:13 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)

I didn't like the mileage with such a small gas tank. FWIW, Carry extra! Anything 6% and above grade would bog it down to 45 mph or less and the RPM's were above 3K in fourth on an auto.

Oh yes, it's need that harness kit if it doesn't already have one. The pigtail connector that that plugs into is behind the drivers side wheel on the frame. The under dash module's connector is up there in the wire loom outward of the brake pedal arm, and the fuses go under the hood in that fuse panel. Add a brake controller and 7 pin and the OEM harness kit Flat 4 plugs into the back of the 7 pin.

トヨタ
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Hey @John8 I have been looking into getting an Airstream and the biggest one we were told to tow was the Airstream Sport 22' which is 3700 pounds. They like to keep 1,000 lbs under towing capacity and the FJ sits at 4700. Im not excited about towing with it but I also don't want to get rid of my FJ. I was looking at Tundras the other day but I just can't do it. I might end up getting the Airstream Basecamp. My wife and I do a lot of fly fishing and weekend hiking stuff so it would be ideal for that. If I was buying an Airstream for long trips with pets and kids, I would buy a Tundra, keep my FJ and get rid of my wifes car. She wouldn't mind going from a hybrid to a Tundra. HA!

2014 Iceberg FJ, CRAWL Control, Rear Diff. Lock, ATRAC, Eezi Awn K9 Roof Rack, Hella Aux lights, Rear Chase Lights, TRD Ultimate Edition Suspension, TRD Pro 17" rims, BF GoodRich KO2 285/70/17, Eezi Awn 1400 Series 2 Roof Top Tent, National Luna Dual Battery Controller, Optima Yellowtop 34/78 Battery
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Has anyone used the Airstream Sport with the FJ?

We were looking at Airstreams too. I think the 16' Sport is the largest you can go with the FJ considering gross weight and tongue weight. We would probably go up to the 19' Flying Cloud because the shower and toilet are separate, so no FJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One Shot
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

My father used to tow our 16 ft Speedycraft boat. Not a light boat and he did it with a 59 Ford station wagon and then with his 47 Willy's jeep, with its 60 hp flat head. lol I don't mean a little towing, he would take boat distances and never minded it or complained. How did he do it with a Willys Jeep? I learned to drive in that jeep and it was the beginning of my 4 wheeling. Then he got a Bronco, half cab with a straight 6 and used it and finally a 73 Ford Bronco with a V8. I had the Bronco until I got the 2012 FJ. The Bronco was used for the boat until he got rid of the boat. The Bronco was great off roading but I never liked on the highway.

I appreciate your input here. I can see where the FJ isn't ideal by any means and for a few reasons. I guess it is expectations and driving methods.

Toytec 3 inch lift.
2012 FJ badges.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

I towed an 18 foot Fun Finder travel trailer from Texas to Tennessee. Pretty much lived in it for 3 months as well.

I was most likely right at the weight capacity for the FJ. Had air springs in the back, transmission cooler, and anti sway weight distribution hitch. Transmission temperatures were fine, but the max speed was mostly 60 mph. I got 8-10 mpg.

Something that size can be done, but it is far from optimal. Right now I am shopping around for a full size truck for towing this setup in the summer.

Before the Fun Finder we had an Aliner, that was easier to tow, but did sway some due to the single axle and lack of a anti sway hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1512.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	842033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	842041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1408.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	842049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	842057  

2010 FJ Cruiser TT
2018 Subaru WRX STI
1999 Dakota R/T
1996 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
M1102 Expo Trailer
2019 Luna Rover

FJ Build Thread:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...tts-build.html

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Trailers and Towing Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in