Demello Offroad - Buyer Beware - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transaction Feedback for Buyers/Sellers Objective feedback on transactions go here.

67Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Demello Offroad - Buyer Beware

Facts:

6/25/18 -- Called Demello to order a bumper for my '10 FJ. It was for an aluminum single hoop front bumper but with the "Rallye" style hoops (two smaller support rods behind the main hoop).

10/16/18 -- Jason called in to advise that the bumper is ready for shipment but there was an issue. Their manufacturing department made a mistake and built the bumper with the standard single hoop instead of the "Rallye" style hoop. Jason offered to ship the single hoop bumper and refund the difference of $50. I asked for some time to think it over, as I really wanted the other style hoop.

10/18/18 -- Jason called in and I confirmed that I will take the standard single hoop bumper that they have in stock. I was advised that it would ship right away.

10/29/18 -- Called Demello for the tracking number and was advised that their shipping department was out for the day (????).

10/30/18 -- Called Demello twice and finally got a UPS tracking number. Checked UPS online tracking and it doesn't show up on their system. Apparently, the bumper was shipped out today - over a week since they confirmed they will ship.

Subjective thoughts:

I understand that the bumpers are built to order and that a wait time was inevitable. It has been over 4 months since I placed the order. And to be honest, I really didn't mind the wait.

What really bothered me was that the single hoop bumper was sitting there for 12 days. I feel like the bumper wouldn't have shipped out today if I didn't call them!? There is so much lack of communication and broken shipping promises. I feel that I got the run around and they really don't value their customers.

I really wished it turned out better, as I really like their products. But as it turns out, they've lost a customer and will take my money elsewhere.

Edit: I'll update this thread when or if I actually receive the bumper.

2010 Silver Fresco - pack light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 01:52 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Demello Offroad - Buyer Beware

I had a similar bad experience with Demello. I ended up getting refunded and bought a Resz bumper. I'll never buy from Demello again.
debFJVT likes this.

2012 Army Green "The Mule"
My Build / My Adventures
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
http://www.chickenriveroffroad.com
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Garage

They build aluminum bumpers in batches, as I believe an outside vendor cuts the internal bracing parts for them.

I had a similar experience with Demello last fall. I ordered a 3-hoop aluminum bumper on Thanksgiving and was told there was a 10-week wait, which I knew and accepted. Then in February they contacted me to tell me there had been a mistake and they had build an evil-eye version. I told them no, I wanted what I ordered, so I had to wait for the next batch. I finally got my bumper in late May, about 6 months after I ordered it, which was unfortunately too late for my Moab trip.

It is a very nice bumper, though.

Steve in MN
Sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Serenity Now previously said: View Post
They build aluminum bumpers in batches, as I believe an outside vendor cuts the internal bracing parts for them.

I had a similar experience with Demello last fall. I ordered a 3-hoop aluminum bumper on Thanksgiving and was told there was a 10-week wait, which I knew and accepted. Then in February they contacted me to tell me there had been a mistake and they had build an evil-eye version. I told them no, I wanted what I ordered, so I had to wait for the next batch. I finally got my bumper in late May, about 6 months after I ordered it, which was unfortunately too late for my Moab trip.

It is a very nice bumper, though.
I am also planning for Moab in 2 weeks and, wrongfully assumed, that it would be here by now. Ugh..

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

As of 9pm ET 10/30/18, the tracking number doesn't come up on the UPS online system. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a bogus tracking number. I will call Demello tomorrow (and everyday) until this gets resolved.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 07:23 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)

Pump the brakes bro, give em a call and see what the skinny is. And if you ain't happy with the hoop, why'd you okay it? Maybe this is a good thing, get what YOU WANT or get a refund and go shop elsewhere. Love my E-1. But screw the $50, you have to look at it forever.

I had a vendor on here ship the wrong parts and blew my Florence Beach Run last year. Idiot on the phone told me it's my fault, even though the invoice showed the correct parts. He couldn't care less that I missed a planned trip and wanted the wrong parts returned at my expense before he'd ship the correct ones. $hit happens.
Thorn661 and Iconic_ like this.

トヨタ
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Hannibal previously said: View Post
Pump the brakes bro, give em a call and see what the skinny is. And if you ain't happy with the hoop, why'd you okay it? Maybe this is a good thing, get what YOU WANT or get a refund and go shop elsewhere. Love my E-1. But screw the $50, you have to look at it forever.

I had a vendor on here ship the wrong parts and blew my Florence Beach Run last year. Idiot on the phone told me it's my fault, even though the invoice showed the correct parts. He couldn't care less that I missed a planned trip and wanted the wrong parts returned at my expense before he'd ship the correct ones. $hit happens.
I'm fine with the single hoop and don't mind it at all. My first preference is what I ordered, but whatever.. mistakes happen.

What irks me is incompetence. It is the fact that they had the bumper and ready to ship on 10/18 Thu or the least 10/19 Fri. It took over a week to ship? And most likely not have shipped if I didn't call?? That's just irresponsible on their part.

They can keep the $50 if I don't ever have to deal with them again.
ToyRig likes this.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Garage

FWIW, some specialty offroad shops here are closed Mondays. Not trying to defend their actions but the shipping guy being out could be valid lol. I had a similar experience of ordering their hybrid rock sliders in raw finish. They said it was ready to be picked up but upon reviewing, they only had powdercoated sliders available. They stated that I could wait for the raw finish in the next batch or pay extra for the powdercoat that day. I was there in person, and the mistake was theirs. I can't believe they were charging me extra for their mistake. At any rate, just wanted it on, and I had a helper, so I got my sliders. I ended up selling them off to another member to support better companies. It seems like their habits haven't changed much.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:14 PM
A-Team Moderator

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)

Well then, If I were you, I'd cancel the entire order and demand a refund or call the cc company and dispute it. Refuse the order if it arrives.

Like I said, you're the one who has to live with it and look at it.

Good Luck!
crazysanman likes this.

トヨタ
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

I have cut my loses with jason Demello since 2013.
After my truck was re-geard at his shop, and long story short, I was stranded 150 miles from home and that was that.

Sent the front diff to Chase at ECGS and I was told that the pinion bearings and the carrier bearings/shims was set way to high and every moving internal parts whore it self out and destroyed everything else, and after talking to Jason he refused warranty. So [email protected]@k them.

He is not going to get my business or my friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IDFJ, crazysanman, debFJVT and 4 others like this.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
2010 TT 6MT. 4.56+ARB locker, Icon Coil Over Shocks+FOX 2.5 Rear+Icon UCA. All pro HD steering Kit. Metal Tech tube bumper with Caterpillar GTB 9000 Winch. Light Force Striker 170 HID. K&N cooled Air Intake. Ricochet Skid Plate. All-Pro Rear LCA. ARB Half Rack. Boztech Diff skid 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Edelbrock Exhaust. URD Short Shifter. Total Chaos LCA Skids.
And Death Valley Is The Place To Be
Closed Thread

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Buy/Sell Section > Transaction Feedback for Buyers/Sellers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in